• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Tusk: Full Walrus Edition by MrGone

MrGone

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hello everyone. Been awhile since I've posted around here but I just saw Kevin Smith's new movie 'Tusk' and had to say something! Holy crap, what a messed up movie. I loved it!! Had some great funny moments, but had some genuine creepy moments as well. Such a messed up movie, but so awesome!

Now, I'd read a review where they said they thought the pacing was off, and while I thought the pacing was fine to me, it got me thinking about the possibility of trying my hand at fan editing again. Last time I re-edited a movie(Enter the Void) it was turning a movie I hated into something I liked, so it would be interesting to re-edit a movie I loved. I have some ideas, I think, but I really need to see it a few more times before I decide what I want to do. I won't get into it here(yet anyway..unless those who have seen it want me to) so as to not spoil anything for those that haven't seen it. Anyway, it's really got me thinking...But, this was a great movie as-is, and I highly recommend it!!

Do they already have a DVD/Blu release date set?

Sadly, no. At least not that I know of. But, since it was a bit of a limited release, maybe it'll be out soon.

I'm writing down my ideas as I get them, so hopefully once it's released I'll still be as excited to try a re-edit(and have something to work from).

I thought this movie was an absolute mess, and I couldn't possibly seeing a fanedit salvage it. Not to discourage you, just spouting off about the poorly crafted movie I just slogged through. The writing was bad, the acting mostly terrible, it looked like it was directed by a blind man, and the editing was astoundingly sloppy. Great concept that could have benefited from real characters and a more thought out overall vision.

Neglify said:
I thought this movie was an absolute mess, and I couldn't possibly seeing a fanedit salvage it. Not to discourage you, just spouting off about the poorly crafted movie I just slogged through. The writing was bad, the acting mostly terrible, it looked like it was directed by a blind man, and the editing was astoundingly sloppy. Great concept that could have benefited from real characters and a more thought out overall vision.

Thats ok, I can certainly understand why you didn't like it. It is a bizarre movie, and I'll admit that some of the acting wasn't the best. But, maybe I'm in love in the concept more, and I can go a long way with a movie on my love of a concept alone.

I'm sorry you didn't care for it, but I totally get why.

So, since you've seen it. Here my initial ideas on restructuring it.

I think it might be interesting to start off mostly as is, and follow Wallace until he gets to the house. Then we cut to his friend and girlfriend(probably getting his call). Then we'll follow their investigation(maybe cutting it back a little bit, not sure) until they get to the house. We'll see them enter, and get to that room. We'll end their segment with their looks of horror, but not show what they see. We'll then flash back to Wallace at the house and stay with him and Howard for the rest of the movie. Towards the end, we may slightly cut back to the friends as they converge on the house, but we'll mostly be staying with Wallace. Then end it as-is(though it possible we could end it with Guy Lapointe rising the gun and then stick with that fade to black, again, not sure).

But I think saving the reveal of the human walrus until later on might work a little better. Maybe. Like I said, it'd be something interesting to play with...might not work at all.

So, thats what I'm thinking...

I finally have my copy of Tusk. I'll let you know how my attempt to re-edit it turns out...

So far so good. Been working on it for a few weeks now, and I think I'm about done. My wife and I have watched it a few times, and I've tweaked it here and there. I have a few friends interested in seeing it, so we'll see what they think.

But, all in all I'm pretty pleased with what I've done so far. :)

I've hosted two screenings two weekends in a row with some friends and they've all seemed to enjoy it! Seems what I set out to do worked out pretty nicely!

Back
Top Bottom