• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Queen Forever (2014)

matrixgrindhouse

Reaction score
Trophy Points
So, there's a new Queen album coming out in November. Kind of. The first three tracks (which would seem to have already gotten radio play in the UK?), anyway. Two are previously unreleased Queen material - one of those features Michael Jackson. The third is a reworking of Freddie's solo song, Love Kills. The rest is a compilation of old stuff. However, it's being implied that they're reworked/remixed/demos/re-remastered versions. It's still not entirely clear. Could just be direct copies of the most recent remasters for all we know. I'm thrilled about the new material, but I'm disappointed that's all we're getting. The band has enough of a backlog to round out a single CD, at the very least.

Kal-El

Reaction score
Trophy Points
They're counting on people being curious enough about the Michael Jackson coop to buy the entire thing :)

leeroy

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
when i first heard about this i thought it was going to be an album worth of new songs, was a little disappointed when i read it was going to be a compilation album. the songs with MJ are good though and maybe the album will be similar to the Beatles anthology series?

ranger613

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I have Giorgio Moroder's Metropolis album, and Freddie's Love Kills is on there. One of my fav beats actually

matrixgrindhouse

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Well, some of the old tracks are remastered, some aren't. I didn't bother with any of those. I'm happy with the versions I currently have.

Now, on to the new stuff!

Let Me In Your Heart Again would sound right at home somewhere in the tracklist of The Game or The Works. It's one of their softer pieces, but we do get some nice Brian May guitar licks in there. Freddie's vocals are top notch. I wouldn't say it's one of their all time best, but there was no reason for this one to have been held back as long as it has. Quality.

The new version of Love Kills is my favorite of the three. It's got a nice acoustic guitar backing that makes it more heartfelt than the solo version. The Red Special does kick in every so often, as does some overdubbing by May's voice that really reminds me of their 70's stuff. There's one odd transitional moment that uses some of the Moroder version's music that feels very awkward. It's only a few seconds long, but it feels very out of place. Still, this is really enjoyable. I prefer it to Mercury's solo version. It wouldn't feel too out of place on A Kind of Magic or The Miracle.

There Must Be More To Life Than This is the weak link. It isn't Hot Space level disappointing, by any means. But Freddie's vocals feel fairly weak. The emotion's there, but not the power. Michael Jackson's performance is worse... and possibly partially auto-tuned in places? During the duet portions, Jackson's vocal audio level drowns out Mercury's for the most part. The instrumentation is solid, though. I like it, but I expected a lot more from a collaboration from such talented individuals. Granted, there's only so much one should expect from an unfinished work from two singers who are no longer alive, so perhaps I'm being overly critical.

All in all, this was a nice treat. I hope the rest of the band's backlog gets to see the light of day in a similar fashion one of these days.

Top Bottom