• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Bionic Covers

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Not directly fan edit related, but with rumours that past episodes of Star Trek New Voyages may become unavailable in the new year, I started to rebuild my dvds with better quality video files and creating some covers to go with them....

HavUERj.jpg

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
For David Kerin's latest BSG spectacular edit....

hkc3DV6l.jpg

sCtwvBel.jpg

BfIbwUnl.jpg

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
DVD art for L8wrtr's HOBBIT saga....

Volume One:
s687E1F.jpg

Volume Two:
KPvaKS2.jpg

...and the Complete Journey:
9SSDc0E.jpg

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Very, very nice indeed!

(FYI: I noticed the "dropped" shadow is missing from the paragraph text on the back cover of volume 1. It's there for the runtime and fan-THX stuff etc)

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TM2YC said:
Very, very nice indeed!

(FYI: I noticed the "dropped" shadow is missing from the paragraph text on the back cover of volume 1. It's there for the runtime and fan-THX stuff etc)

Actually there is drop shadow there, but because the background is so bright, it looked really bad, so I instead "spread" the drop shadow to darken the background make the lettering easier to read.  Not the best solution, but the only one I found that satisfied me.

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
So I am toying with creating a complete 6 movie collection cover for my Star Trek edits....

Just curious, does this work with McCoy inserted or does it just look plain bad????  I too tired and can not tell anymore...  :blush: :huh:  

b0S1FUs.jpg

I am leaning towards awful...  :s lol

Rogue-theX

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Not awful at all, just more contrasty then spock and kirk, reduce the contrast or adjust the levels for his face if you can, its almost there, maybe just upping the brightness of McCoy will do. I love it already!

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
It's very close and very nice.

The left (our left) side of McCoy's face should be red, not green. Tint that side of his face red and I think it'll all come together (The right could be tinted a little more green too).

I did a quick mockup of what I mean...

31855324294_dcb4d65540.jpg

...so the lines of the spectrum run downwards across McCoys face like they do the other two. You'll get better results with separate layers and add some grain to McCoy too.

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TM2YC said:
It's very close and very nice.

The left (our left) side of McCoy's face should be red, not green. Tint that side of his face red and I think it'll all come together (The right could be tinted a little more green too).

I did a quick mockup of what I mean...

31855324294_dcb4d65540.jpg

...so the lines of the spectrum run downwards across McCoys face like they do the other two. You'll get better results with separate layers and add some grain to McCoy too.

...or I could just steal that mock up you made and blend it in....  :D :p:)

Seriously, that looks AWESOME!!!!!!!  I wish I had your talent and skill level.

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
So I think this is done....?

IAtDJj9h.jpg

A special heartfelt shout out of thanks to @"Rogue-theX" who designed the original covers.
Also to @"TM2YC" -- a brilliant editor, cover designer and mod -- I ended up (much like Kirk lol) stealing his PERFECT mock up and blending it into my final work.
And to @"L8wrtr" at whose prodding inspired me to finally create a 6in1 dvd design.
:)

Rogue-theX

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
That's one damn fine lookin' cover right there Bob, great work!

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
agreed!

Note: I think there are Amaray-sized 6-disc cases, but more common are probably the cases with a wider spine (27mm I think). Could you provide covers at both widths? (I'm a big fan of space savers)

16-2.jpg

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
ThrowgnCpr said:
agreed!

Note: I think there are Amaray-sized 6-disc cases, but more common are probably the cases with a wider spine (27mm I think). Could you provide covers at both widths? (I'm a big fan of space savers)

16-2.jpg

Yes, I built the dvd cover for the 14mm 6 in 1 case.  I bought a pile of them on sale a while back, they are awesome!

Like many, my dvd shelves are over stuffed, so I have either been slowly replacing some dvd movies with better, thinner blu rays, or as with many of my older tv show season collections (like Buffy or Babylon 5), transferring the dvds into these 14mm cases.  Now I have space to spare!  I guess that means I can buy more now!  And with the sad news HMV is going out of business, I imagine I will picking up tons of stuff at our local store as they begin to clearance price their stock.

But if I get a chance, I will try to make a more traditional case version...  Just need to get the template specs.  ;)

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
bionicbob said:
sad news HMV is going out of business

That is sad news... although I was relieved when I checked that it was just HMV Canada and that HMV UK is still doing quite well. Hope you snap up some bargains ;) .

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
For MusicEd's epic western....

Bsj4KuVh.jpg

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Just thought I would share some simple covers I did for my Star Trek New Voyages collection....

Top Bottom