• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Shazam / Black Adam (Dwayne Johnson)

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
So this is happening for realzies now. A Shazam film. Dwayne Johnson has finally decided which role he'd rather play, and it's Black Adam, which leaves the role of Shazam open. I've heard Jon Hamm's name tossed around in comment sections and I think that'd be a cool choice. However, this article, particularly the quotes, is a bit worrisome concerning the film's place in the DCU and the film's overall quality.

http://insidemovies.ew.com/2014/09/03/shazam-movie-rock-fun/

The Shazam project will be produced by New Line, a subsidiary of Warner Bros. proper, and when New Line president Toby Emmerich gets on the phone to EW, he makes it clear that the film will be a different kind of superhero movie. “It feels to me like Shazam will have a tone unto itself,” he explains. “It’s a DC comic, but it’s not a Justice League character, and it’s not a Marvel comic. The tone and the feeling of the movie will be different from the other range of comic book movies.”

Does that mean it's not part of the DCU/Justice League universe? Or just that he won't show up in Justice League/Man of Steel 2/ BS: Dawn of Just Us? I bet the tone and the feeling will be exactly the same as the other DC comic book movies from the past ten years. :x

revel911

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I am so happy it went this route, Johnson looks just like Black Adam .... I think everyone was dissatisfied with him playing Shazam.

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points

BLACK ADAM (2023)
directed by Jaume Collet-Serra

...spoiler free musings...

A really good movie! Perhaps not the game changer that the Rock has been promoting, but hot damn(!), it is a move in the right direction. Visually, it borrows elements of Gunn and Snyder, while tonally it is leans more into classical hero (or in this case, Anti-Hero) journey tropes. Though as usual with these movies, the villain is under developed, and the movie is too jam packed. So while you can smell what the Rock is cooking, the meat I could have stayed in the oven longer. But at least the story does have meat to chew on! And while the third act is heavy with CGI bloat, it mostly works very well because it also has a solid emotional core.

I found the political commentary to be refreshing and wish it had gone further. In many respects, this is DC's Black Panther. The movie also walks the fine line up to almost R-rated territory with its violence and high kill count.

The cast is all round excellent. Brosnan in particular is a stand out performance. This is also one of The Rock's better roles in many years. While always naturally charismatic, he gets to push himself a bit more as an actor and go a bit darker. Again, I wish he had gone even more serious.

Make sure to stick around for the mid-credit scene. I won't spoil it, but is was very cool! Gave me the FEELS!

So it may not be a perfect movie, it has learned from what works and does not from previous DC and Marvel movies, and creates a very fun ride.

THUMBS UP! 👍 :giggle:

Last edited:

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Welp, congrats to Hawkman for finally making it to the big screen, I guess:

As a non-comics guy, I only know of the JSA as a defunct WW2-era force from Legends of Tomorrow, which I've seen, and a Smallville two-parter, which I haven't. I find it pretty wild that the DCEU keeps chugging along, and is now introducing a JSA while its Justice League is theoretically still operating, but its roster of characters and performers is in complete chaos. Wild, and worthy of a certain degree of begruding respect, though this particular movie sounds like a Redbox rental at best.

Last edited:

DirtyCop1036

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I really enjoyed Black Adam, it's not a game-changer like Bionicbob said, but still, an honest entertaining film, The Rock, Pierce Brosnan, and Aldis Hodges kill it as Black Adam, Dr. Fate, and Hawkman. The action is dope, even if some shots are very reminiscent of Zack Snyder's movies, Iron Man, or the X-Men saga. Lorne Balfe's score is epic! Also loved the very-stretched PG-13, they managed to get away with a lot of stuff, hope we'll get to see an Unrated Cut one day. Some humor involving the brother and the kid characters is a bit forced, not MCU cringey fortunately, but some Terminator 2-like jokes about Adam waking up in the modern days are just hilarious (his problems with doors 😂). The villain is also a bit forgettable, but still threatening. And that post-credit scene 😍😍😍, DC's on fire!!

Last edited:

asterixsmeagol

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I started watching Black Adam when it first dropped on HBO Max a few weeks ago, but immediately got bored with the voiceover/ancient Kahndaq scene, and wasn't impressed with the first modern scene of a van going through a checkpoint. I had to turn off the movie to go to a Christmas party, and was unmotivated to turn it back on. I finally decided to finish it yesterday, and while I didn't love it, it was better than I initially gave it credit for. As with most DC films, the biggest problem was that they introduced way too many characters way to quickly, then killed some of them off before we cared about them, destroying the dramatic effect. I also found it totally unbelievable that the Justice Society has been around, and Amanda Waller knew about them, but they were totally uninvolved in either Suicide Squad movie or Justice League. The most compelling parts of the movie were the tie-ins to the Council of Wizards that we'll be getting more of in Shazam: Fury of the Gods (but which apparently won't have anything to do with the story of Black Adam), and the post-credits scene with Henry Cavil as Superman, which we definitely won't ever get follow up to.

Top Bottom