• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull Trailer

SpaceOddity

Reaction score
Trophy Points
OK, growing up with the Indy movies (as most people have)... that trailer gave me goosebumps. Just a little bit.

I really, really hope this movie doesn't suck. :oops:

GyRo567

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I second the "hope it doesn't suck" feeling.

I'm a little bit disappointed by how obvious some of the CGI is, but I'm also aware of the fact that those elements are probably still in the middle of production.

One curious fact is that despite not being CGI, the whip is used almost as though it was. I would guess that there's better exposition in the film itself than in the trailer to setup the whip stuff, but for now I'm just curious how they got that much out of ordinary effects without CGI assistance.

Uncanny Antman

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Even if the whip ain't CG, doesn't mean they won't have extensive wire removal, face replacement, et cetera.

Finn

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I have concerns.
Yeah, it has the music, it has Ford, Blanchett, LeBoeuf, Hoffman and even Marion from the first film. It even looks like it. Here's my issue:
Nazis.
Why are there Nazis? (or indeed communists according to early reports) Cate Blanchett couldn't look more like some Frau Helga Von GasJew if she tried. In addition, the uniforms the commies are wearing have been cut to look so similar to the Afrika-corp desert fatigues from Raiders that it's just not funny. see the "I thought it was closer" moment in the trailer.
In addition. Huge CGI explosions are not what Indy is about.
Also, I know that The Mummy movies were trying to be a discount noughties version of Indy but, that's no reason to copy them. Which is all I see when a hunderd CGI bads come storming around a temple staircase and the heroes that running down the impossible deep shaft jumping from ledge to ledge.

Now I'll give it the benefit of the doubt when it comes out, butI really wish they'd kept themselves more restrained. Indy fighting a few bads is fine, but Spielberg needs to realise that he can't keep throwing the Swaztikas around in a bid to make a happily killable Villain. ITS BEEN DONE TO DEATH.

That said. It look like it could be some mindless fun. I'm not expecting much.

ss4johnny

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I agree, I'm gonna give this the benefit of the doubt, but that trailer was absolutely awful. I'm only going to see it because Raiders and Last Crusade are two of my favorite movies. Who uses such cheesy lines in a trailer? What were they thinking?

reave

Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Uh-oh. Just read the first review of an early screening at AICN, and it's not good at all. I hope this guy is wrong.

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
reave said:
Uh-oh. Just read the first review of an early screening at AICN, and it's not good at all. I hope this guy is wrong.

great, lets see how many other franchises can be completely ruined. I was excited about this movie, but I should really go into it expecting complete shit, so my hopes aren't destroyed

Ghostcut

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Oh. Shit.
I've been really trying to keep my hopes *down* because I really want to like this, but I always have this creeping feeling that it's going to be shit.

FatherMerrin

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'm kinda glad the initial reviews are poor. With my hopes nice & low the only way is up, hopefully.

DoctorM

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Sigh. RottenTomatoes.com

Cannes 2008: Review - Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull
The early RT verdict on the fourth chapter.

by Joe Utichi | May 18, 2008

After more than a year of hoping and praying that Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull would do right by fans of the archaeological franchise, the film's first screening in Cannes confirms the worst. There's a brilliant Indy film buried somewhere within, but Star Wars syndrome has stuck and Steven Spielberg and George Lucas just couldn't resist dipping into their box of computer-generated magic.

Quite aside from a plot torn literally from outer space - we won't go into too much detail save to say that alien visitation plays its part- where this film struggles to find its feet is in moments in which its characters are forced to tackle increasingly implausible CG set pieces. When the first of these moments is as outrageous as it is, you have to worry where the film plans to go next.

And that's the real issue: there's never any true sense of peril. There are only a couple of actual fistfights in the movie and Ford is the ultimate actor when it comes to taking a punch and making you believe it. Forcing him to constantly outrun computer just doesn't feel true o the character.

Too much reverence for the previous movies and for new technologies probably combined to cause the problem -- everything feels like a movie; the sets look rickety, the lighting harsh. The original films suffered the same problem occasionally, but they were of their time and totally plausible in spite of it. This would be OK if the CG didn't push too far, but it does so clearly in an attempt to live up to the summer blockbusters of now.

Despite these issue, there's still is a lot to love. From the moment Ford picks up the Fedora and you see his silhouette as he puts it on you know you're in familiar company and he delights in taking on the mantle of the older Dr. Jones. This is the film's greatest strength; there are a couple of jokes about his age, but nothing approaching Lethal Weapon levels, and you very quickly remember that Indy has never been the willing action hero -- Ford's reluctance is given a whole new angle.

But Indy is probably the only wholly realised character. Disappointingly no one else is really given a chance to shine. Ray Winstone swaps sides far too regularly, John Hurt and Jim Broadbent are underused and Cate Blanchett has so precious little to do you barely remember her as the credits roll.

The verbal arguments between Indy and Karen Allen's Marion Ravenwood are right back to par, though, and the worst kept secret in Hollywood about Shia LaBeouf's character sets him up as a third sparring partner. Unfortunately, Mutt really shouldn't be in the film - there's not enough characterisation to really justify his place and you wonder if he wasn't included purely to satisfy one of the film's - admittedly very humorous, running gags.

This isn't as bad as Phantom Menace, and not as much of a disaster as it could so easily have been. You get the impression that Spielberg and Lucas did their best to take on board the lessons of the Star Wars prequels, and you are left in no doubt that everyone involved desperately wanted preserve the quality of the franchise.

Funny, I always felt the Mummy films walked the same path as the Indy films but managed to use tons of CG without ruining things.
Perhaps Mummy 3 will be the movie we were hoping Indy4 would be.

FatherMerrin

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'm 50/50 whether I'm gonna see this now. I'm not a big Star Wars fan so I wasn't offended when I saw the prequals. But, I did want to experience the excitement movie goers had when the originals first came out & Lucas robbed me of that.

Same goes for Indy 4. I'm not a massive fan but if I was gonna see it, again it would be to experience the same excitement people had 20 years ago for Raiders.

& it seems Lucas has robbed me of that too.

Someone should should just tell the guy to F*CK OFF!!!

1st he buggers up Star Wars then Indiana Jones. It's like he spent the 1st half of his life giving us all the magical films & now he's decided to spend the 2nd half of his life pissing on them.

Ghostcut

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Christ. It's going to turn out like the saga over the Star Wars prequels all over again.
:| Goddamnit.

DoctorM

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Fodder for fan edits!
I still say we are now going to have the adventures of Mutt.

That said the Tomatometer is hitting about 75% with some genuinely positive reviews by some respected critics.

I think the answer here is "It sucks less than Phantom Menace."

GyRo567

Reaction score
Trophy Points
And Phantom Menace didn't really suck. It was just way too slow. If they've put that same level of effort into this film (the trailer didn't make it seem that way though) then that would make it a mildly good effort.

If the humor is successful, that will probably be the deciding factor. I'll wait until I see it though.

Top Bottom