• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Cinema Blend praises Harmy's Despecialized Editions

TomH1138

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Wow, Harmy continues to become an absolute rock star in the fan community. Now, Cinema Blend carries the news to fans everywhere:

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Amaz...-Removes-All-George-Lucas-Mistakes-66990.html

It's kind of funny that the original Despecialized version has been around for several years and didn't get this level of attention outside of this community. Still, I'm glad that people are finding out about it, since Harmy did (and is doing) such a great job!

NewSpock

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I don't think calling it a fanedit is the right term, it's imho a fan-restauration and what one it is: I've watched his despescialized version 2.5 and it's simply awesome! Great to see him find appreciation from the wider public, he has surely deserved it.

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
NewSpock said:
I don't think calling it a fanedit is the right term, it's imho a fan-restauration and what one it is: I've watched his despescialized version 2.5 and it's simply awesome! Great to see him find appreciation from the wider public, he has surely deserved it.

Technically you're right in that it's not a FanEdit per se, but in the generic overall sense, it's a fan-edited project.

TomH1138

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I just did a search for "despecialized" and then for Harmy on the Database but came up empty both times. Does anyone know why this would be?

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Because it's a restoration, not a fanedit.

Vultural

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
What is the difference between restoration and preservation?

TomH1138

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hmm. It seems strange to me that such a seminal work that's so important to this community doesn't get a listing. It seems to me like it's the same thing as a preservation, or close enough that it's worth noting.

Oh, well. *shrug*

TV's Frink

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Go to the front page of IFDb and read the definition of Preservation at the bottom. That should answer these questions.

TomH1138

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Fair enough!

A co-worker said she had the original Star Wars movies but they had been properly remastered. I wanted to find a listing for it to ask her if that's the one had. But in the grand scheme of things, it doesn't matter that much. :)

DominicCobb

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Still not sure why Despecialized isn't a preservation. What's the difference between it and all of these projects?

Well, if not as a preservation, then why not as a special project like this?

Either way I don't see why it shouldn't be included on IFDb. It's a fantastic edit that took a lot of work and I think it'd be a great addition to the site.

TV's Frink

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
We are currently discussing the situation. Please let's stop derailing the thread now.

Vultural

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Should a new thread be opened, wondering why Harmy's edit is not on FEDB?

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
The actual thread topic almost seems a bit off topic now, but I would like to try to steer back in that direction.

I am glad to see Harmy getting some attention. Adywan seems to get all of the buzz surrounding fan-created OT stuff but despite his work being absolutely amazing, Harmy is the one doing what everyone's been asking for since the first wave of SE's came out. I've been trying to spread awareness in my area of Harmy's name and the fact that high quality versions of the original trilogy's films DO exist somewhere (I don't carry around burned discs to hand out or something crazy like that but I do frequently suggest googling the word "despecialized"). Pretty much whenever someone IRL brings up Star Wars, especially the blu rays, that's the first thing I talk about. And they're ALWAYS interested.

The fact they exist at all seems to me like a miracle just because it used to seem so impossible.

Brumous

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
addiesin said:
Harmy is the one doing what everyone's been asking for since the first wave of SE's came out.

Also he's still going strong, he's always looking for & making better shots and putting out upgraded versions. Check out his cleanup of a dirty 35 mm film scan.

theslime

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Agree 100 percent. As cool as Adywan's project is (and it truly is), I think the original trilogy is fine the way it is. It just needs a release. And since that's not gonna happen any time soon, we should all be grateful for Harmy's insanely good restoration work.

Thingamajiik

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Yeah give it all the praise you've got... because it's great!
Since i saw that trailer i was blown away by the combined efforts to restore The Star Wars Trilogy to its original form,
sadly i can't download that BD because it's a Torrent (i hate Torrents) and even if i could i could'nt burn it because i do not own a BD Burner. There's Multiple soundtrack options even the German Dub!

theforce

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Do any of you have the original VHS from the early 80s?

i still have the VHS tapes from when I was young. I remember getting all three by 1985.

i have the CBS FOX versions. I should see if they are ok. I have had them in storage for a long time

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
theforce said:
Do any of you have the original VHS from the early 80s?

i still have the VHS tapes from when I was young. I remember getting all three by 1985.

i have the CBS FOX versions. I should see if they are ok. I have had them in storage for a long time

Harmy's version is better than VHS.

Top Bottom