• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

The Dark Knight Saga Recut - Part II (The Dark Knight)

njvc

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
s6gb.jpg

Original film title: The Dark Knight
Fanedit film title: The Dark Knight Saga Recut - Part II[SIZE=+0]
[/SIZE]Date Original Film Was Released: 2008
Date Fanedit Was Released: August, 2014
Original Runtime: 152 mins
New Runtime: 141 mins
Time Cut: 11 mins

Intention: Nolan's epic bat-trilogy is widely considered to be one of the great cinematic achievements, especially within the superhero genre. Yet despite their many strengths, the films are weighed down by poor attempts at humor, tonal inconsistencies, poor CGI, unnecessary exposition, superfluous characters, and bloated running times.

This series of edits intends to streamline the films, keeping the tone consistent throughout and emphasizing the strongest elements of the series.

Cutlist for Part II (The Dark Knight):
General goals:
- Tone down Bale’s performance as Batman (less shouting, less duck face growling)
- Try to make the police less stupid and remove their jokey one-liners.
- Cut any dialogue that sounds like it was written to be in the trailer (I.e.,dialogue that sounds unnaturally shoe-horned into the scene).
- Cut bad jokes where possible.
- Cut Batman’s strobing, epilepsy inducing sonar vision.
- Cut story points that don’t make much sense (fall from building, riding batpod through a shopping centre, flipping batpod by riding up the wall).
- Cut poor performances from Gotham citizens where possible (i.e., copycats, press conference, on the ferries

Full cutlist:

• Cut “Why do they call him the Joker?” “I hear he wears makeup, to scare people. You know, like war paint.”
  • Cut, “He’s out, right?” Joker nods. Goon gets shot. “Where did you learn to count?”
  • Cut drug dealer’s, “You’ve got more chance of winning the power ball than running into him!”
  • Cut copycat vigilantes and all references to hockey pants from the Scarecrow drug deal scene.
  • Fixed an error in the original cut where the Chechen gangster gets into his car afterit has already driven away.
  • Cut Batman attempting to saw into the side of Scarecrow’s van.
  • Cut Bruce and Alfred’s dialogue about copycats with guns.
  • Cut unnecessary first scene between the annoying accountant and Lucius.
  • Cut “Three buttons is a little 90’s Mr.Wayne.” I’m not talking fashion so much as function.”
  • Cut Rachel’s, “Harvey, the last person to take control of Rome was called Caesar, and he never gave up his power.” Harvey: “Fine, you either die a hero, or livelong enough to see yourself become the villain.
  • Cut "He's a symbol...", so that when Joker asks "Why do you dress up like him?", the answer is "we don't have to be afraid of scum like you!" Hopefully the implication is that Joker dressed him up in the outfit, not that he's trying to be a copycat/vigilante himself.
  • Trimmed conversation between Ramirez and Gordon, cutting “The Joker’s telling us who he’s targeting! Get a unit over to Cerilo’s house, tell Worts to find Dent, get them both into protective custody, where’s the Commissioner? “ “City Hall” “Seal the building, no one in or out until I get there!”
  • Cut the couple making out/undressing during the Joker’s attack at the fundraiser. “Hey Wayne, what’s happening out there? Oh, Thank God, you’ve got a panic room…. Oh you’ve gotta be kidding me.”
  • Trimmed police to Cerilo, “These are dangerous people judge.” “But you’re not giving me a lot of information here!” “Even we don’t know where you’re going”
  • Re-inserted a shot from Trailer 1 of Batman saying “Then you’re gonna love me”, which was not used in the original cut of the film. Inserted shot has been color corrected to match film colour grading.
  • Recut Rachel and Batman’s fall off the building, adding footage/sound effects of Batman firing his grappling gun from Batman Begins to help explain how they could have survived such a fall.
  • Small trim to Alfred's story about the jewel thief, cutting "You squeezed em...". Now, same as the teaser trailer, he just says "You hammered em, and in their desperation they turned to a man...".
  • Cut Ramirez stating the obvious, “Harvey Dent!”, after Gordon names Joker’s victim’s, “Richard Dent… Patrick Harvey.”
  • Cut Wayne firing four different bullets in the bat cave. Now cuts straight to him scanning the evidence he gathered from the crime scene.
  • Cut Batman’s, “WHERE IS HE?!” Marone: “Nobody knows where he is”, B: “He must have friends” M: “Friends? Have you even met this guy?”, B: “SOMEONE KNOWS WHERE HEIS”. After Marone’s fall, first line of dialogue is now, “Nobody’s gonna tell you nothin”.
  • Cut “The night is darkest just before the dawn, and I promise you, the dawn is coming”.
  • Cut Gotham citizen during press conference, “Things are worse than everrrr”.
  • Swapped a shot of crowd reacting to Harvey’s press conference, to avoid woman shaking her head at Harvey before he has actually said anything.
  • Cut angry Gotham citizen’s, “He should turn himself in!”
  • Cut Rachel's "You make your own luck".
  • Cut swat van policeman's, "I hope you've got some moves pal!"
  • Cut police convoy diversion down to the lower levels due to the flaming fire truck.
  • Cut policeman’s “c’mon, get us out of here, let’s go!”
  • Cut policeman’s “we’ve got trouble guys!” & “lock and load!”
  • Shortened Joker shooting the police van with small guns. He now goes for the bazooka as soon as it becomes clear the machine gun won’t break through.
  • Cut policeman’s, “what is that, a bazooka? I didn’t sign up for this!”
  • Fixed editing of tumbler’s crash, so that it doesn’t appear to lose momentum twice before crashing through a wall and coming to a stop.
  • Cut shots of Tradesmen watching and eating bread rolls while batpod emerges from broken batmobile.
  • Cut batmobile saying “goodbye”
  • Cut Policeman’s “that’s what I’m talkin about!”
  • Cut guy picking his teeth in the rear view mirror before Batman breaks it as he drives past.
  • Cut Batman driving batpod through heavy traffic, breaking everyone’s mirrors.
  • Cut joke with kids pretending to play machine guns in the car.
  • Cut policeman’s “That’s not good…. Ok, that is not good!” as the helicopter crashes towards them.
  • Cut batman driving through the shopping mall on his batpod.
  • Cut batpod scaling the wall to turn the batpod around.
  • Cut policeman’s, “you can’t stop here, we’ll be like sitting ducks!”
  • Cut Dent to Gordon, “Gordon! You do like to play things pretty close to the chest!”. Previously this phrase was used between Wayne and Lucius, and it seems strange to hear it again in a totally unrelated context.
  • Cut stupid police comments: "He's got some kind of contusion... Is that a phone?"
  • Cut Alfred to Bruce, “Will you be wanting the batpod sir?” “Middle of the day Alfred? Not very subtle.” “The Lamborghini then. Much more subtle.”
  • Cut Gordon’s, “It’s Mr.Wayne, isn’t it?”. He knows who Bruce Wayne is…
  • Cut Lucius/Batman, “You’ve turned every cell phone in Gotham into a microphone.” “And a high frequency generator receiver.”
  • Significantly cut down all scenes of Gotham citizens on the boats deciding whether to blow up the other boat.
  • Cut most of Batman’s epilepsy inducing sonar night vision POV shots.
  • Cut policeman’s “He’s out of the game!”.
  • Cut Batman’s one liner, “No, but I know how you got these!”
  • Cut "We'd better stop this fighting, or we'll miss the fireworks!" "There won't be any fireworks""
  • Cut, "What were you trying to prove? that deep down, everyone's as ugly as you?"
  • Cut batman’s, “You’re alone”, due to significant duck face.
  • Cut Batman’s, “This city….Just showed you….That it’s full of people…ready to believe in goooood”. J: “Until their spirit breaks completely. Until they get a good look at the real Harvey Dent, and all the heroic things he’s done.” Good dialogue, but so strangely performed by Bale. It had to go… No more duck faced Batman.
  • Cut Harvey’s “you thought we could be decent men in an indecent time, but you were wrong”.
  • Cut Batman’s, “Because you were the best of us. He wanted to prove that even someone as good as you could fall.” H: And he was right.
  • Cut out Gordon’s son’s, “Dad? Dad, is he ok?”
  • Cut Batman’s “You either die a hero, or see yourself become the villain…” reprise.
  • Cut Batman’s, “I can do those things. Because I’m not a hero, unlike Dent”. Serious duck face.
  • Cut Batman running away awkwardly, and Gordon’s son’s “Batman! Why is he running dad?”. G: “Because we have to chase him.” Son: “He didn’t do anything wrong!" Gordon “He’s the hero Gotham deserves, but not the one it needs right now.”
  • Cut Gordon’s, “because he’s not a hero.”
  • Replaced ‘The Dark Knight' title card with Dark Knight Saga Recut – Part II.
  • Added Bill Finger as co-creator of Batman in the end credits
Release Info:
  • 8.5GB 720p MKV
  • 4.7GB DVD
  • 25GB Bluray

Editing Software: Premiere Pro CS6, Encore CS6, DVDFab, Bigasoft Audio Converter, Photoshop

BD artwork:
p557.jpg
55ce.jpg

BD Disk Art
nag6.jpg

Special Thanks:
@Dwight Fry and INH5 for previewing and providing great ideas/feedback.

Damn that cutlist is like word for word everything. You could release a sort of "paint-by-numbers" cutlist-guide for newcomers to see how the microcuts be done.

And I'm very excited to watch these! I have held off on rewatching Dark Knight Rises since the theater, waiting for the first fanedit to arrive.

So the boats are still a part of the plot? I'm interested to see if they are minimized to an extent as to make it tolerable. Nolan has a tendency to reverse engineer his plot lines so as to make them essentially a completely ridiculous Rube Goldberg-esque contrivance. This, without fail, takes me out of his, otherwise excellent, films completely.

Moe_Syzlak said:
So the boats are still a part of the plot? I'm interested to see if they are minimized to an extent as to make it tolerable.
ugh, thank you. that effin twin boat scene. a guy turns his head, cut away. a guy holds the detonator, cut away. a big black guy stands up, cut away. i get that it was supposed to build tension, but it simply became to tedious and boring. "give me that detonator," cut away. all for a weak payoff when finally the over zealous guy on the citizen boat just changes his mind. this scene would work a lot better as a novelization. but on screen it's only a bunch of standing around.

i love the cutlist to, by the by. removing craptastic dialog can do such wonderful things to improve an entire film.

The boat scene still exists, as it basically holds the final act in place, but most of the scenes with Gotham citizens debating what to do with the detonator have been cut. The focus is now on Batman/Joker, with the Boat scenario only playing a minor role in the background.

woo! Half-way through and loving it. A few subtle tweaks here and there - 1st act pretty much as in theatrical, but the rescuing Dent as Batman chase scene is BRILLIANTLY edited. Gone is all the crap, what remains is awesome. Can't wait to finish it tonight. Could njvc have actually made TDK into a superb film (instead of an ok film with a tour de force performance by Heath Ledger)?

Review left on IFDB:

This was a pretty damn great version of The Dark Knight. Not a lot is cut, but that's because not a lot needed to be cut. The story flows a bit smoother and some of the cringe-worthy deliveries are done. The only editing issue for me was the removal of the copyBats and recutting of Scarecrow's scene felt disjointed. I think the copyBats are an important thing to show, in that we get a clearer picture of how Batman has influenced people and how he reacts to it. Other than that, this was most decent!

A/V 10
Editing 9 visual, 10 audio
Narrative & Enjoyment 9

My IFDB review:

A tour de force in editing.
TDK is a pretty good film with an *outstanding* performance by Heath Ledger, but is weighed down by a lot of crap, particularly in the 3rd act, which is very slow.
What njvc has done is trim the fat of the whole film, particularly the set pieces, and the 3rd act. And he's done it brilliantly.

I have only one *tiny* criticism - right at the end with Gordon's narration: we see Batman on the bike, then it cuts to Gordon talking to... well in the original, his son, but in the edit it looks like he's just a little bit nuts, spouting dramatic dialogue into the air! :) I would recommend cutting the Gordon scene and extending the bike scene - either slowing it down or looping it or cutting in previous bike footage.

As with BB, video and audio quality is superb. Cuts are unnoticeable. One or two audio changes I could hear on my headphones (sounded like some dialogue shifted from centre channel to L/R channels), but barely noticeable.

Most of the cuts are totally unnoticeable little trims here and there. This is a masterclass in "trim" editing - leaving the film basically as it was, but with hundreds of little trims, all of which add up to a monumental improvement.

njvc did cut some good scenes - the scenes on the boat with the ordinary guy not being able to push the button, and the big guy who grabs the detonator then throws it out the window and then rejoins his prayer group!
Good scenes. But they weigh down the already bottom-heavy end - and Nolan should have cut them. Likewise some of the "we need to chase batman" dialogue.

njvc has produced the definitive version of TDK. This replaces the original, and then some.
Highly recommended!

9.8/10

Back
Top Bottom