• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Downloaded .mp4 audio track not working

George Jetson

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'm no newbie, but this one has me stumped. I hope someone smarter than me has encountered this and can offer me a solution.

I downloaded an .mp4 file and then added metadata with Subler, as I always do. After uploading to iTunes, the file played fine, but no audio. So, I went back to Subler and the audio track indicated none, 0ch. So then I played it in VLC just to be sure I didn't miss a .rar archive part and it played and sounded fine.

At this point I assumed its a Subler thing, so I took the next step and converted it to an .m4v using iFlicks2; iTunes compatible preset. It converted without a hitch, but still no audio during playback. Subler says there is now a nice AAC 3ch audio track residing in the file.

Before I go to DefCon 5 and create an .mkv and then convert that, are there any tricks or tips you may have to fix the audio glitch?

Thanks.

If VLC played it, then the audio is there. VLC plays damn near everything, go to. Go to the "Codec Information" menu and see what it says. What edit is this anyway?

TM2YC said:
If VLC played it, then the audio is there. VLC plays damn near everything, go to. Go to the "Codec Information" menu and see what it says. What edit is this anyway?

It says "mp1" in the MP4Tools error log for the original .mp4 downloaded file:

"index": 1,
"codec_name": "mp1",
"codec_long_name": "MP1 (MPEG audio layer 1)",
"codec_type": "audio",
"codec_time_base": "1/48000",
"codec_tag_string": "mp4a",
"codec_tag": "0x6134706d",
"sample_fmt": "s16p",
"sample_rate": "48000",
"channels": 2,
"bits_per_sample": 0,
"r_frame_rate": "0/0",
"avg_frame_rate": "0/0",
"time_base": "1/48000",
"start_pts": 0,
"start_time": "0.000000",
"duration_ts": 344747904,
"duration": "7182.248000",
"bit_rate": "383999",
"nb_frames": "897781",
"disposition": {
"default": 0,
"dub": 0,
"original": 0,
"comment": 0,
"lyrics": 0,
"karaoke": 0,
"forced": 0,
"hearing_impaired": 0,
"visual_impaired": 0,
"clean_effects": 0,
"attached_pic": 0
},
"tags": {
"creation_time": "2014-07-21 08:19:20",
"language": "eng",
"handler_name": "Alias Data Handler"
}
}
]
}

Problem Codec: mp1"

I can see the .mp4 audio file there, its just not being picked up by iTunes.

When I converted it to an .m4v with iFilcks2, the resultant file still throws off an error, but it did encode to an .mp4 audio file:

"index": 1,
"codec_type": "audio",
"codec_time_base": "0/1",
"codec_tag_string": "mp4a",
"codec_tag": "0x6134706d",
"sample_rate": "14811212",
"channels": 32767,
"bits_per_sample": 0,
"r_frame_rate": "0/0",
"avg_frame_rate": "0/0",
"time_base": "1/48000",
"start_pts": 0,
"start_time": "0.000000",
"duration_ts": 344747904,
"duration": "7182.248000",
"bit_rate": "383999",
"nb_frames": "897781",
"disposition": {
"default": 0,
"dub": 0,
"original": 0,
"comment": 0,
"lyrics": 0,
"karaoke": 0,
"forced": 0,
"hearing_impaired": 0,
"visual_impaired": 0,
"clean_effects": 0,
"attached_pic": 0
},
"tags": {
"creation_time": "2014-08-09 13:26:41",
"language": "eng"
}"

What do think? Any tips?

So my fall-back is to wring it through Handbrake, since it is the only tool I have which converts audio as well as video. I've selected the AAC (CoreAudio) 2 ch stereo mixdown encoder. It has been cooking for over an hour now, another 3.5 to go. We'll see if that fixes the problem. Otherwise, I'm going to create an .mkv container and comvert that to .m4v.

It's RangerKris' "The Shining: REDRUM edit".

Thanks.

I meant this menu on VLC

653d1382609292-checking-stream-details-consistency-vlc-player-codec_tab.jpg

George Jetson said:
It's RangerKris' "The Shining: REDRUM edit".

Thanks that's helpful as we know at least one person has watched that edit, with no problem, so the issue must be on your end. Try downloading it all again?

TM2YC said:
Thanks that's helpful as we know at least one person has watched that edit, with no problem, so the issue must be on your end. Try downloading it all again?

For the record, I watched on VLC, not through iTunes.

Neglify said:
For the record, I watched on VLC, not through iTunes.

Thanks Neg. Any chance you could drop it into WMP or iTunes or something else just to see what happens?

I can't get it to play at all through iTunes and it's a stuck video in WMP.

I'm going to convert the MPEG audio to AAC and remux the MP4 and see what happens.

EDIT: The converted AAC file, muxed into a new MP4 with the AVC video stream, works perfectly fine in both WMP and iTunes.

[MENTION=29468]George Jetson[/MENTION] if you want, I can PM you the AAC file and you can remux the files. I use a program called Yamb to extract/create MP4s, but it's a Windows program.

Hi guys. Thanks for all of the tips. I finally did get it to work by using the AppleTV3 preset on Handbrake. It took an eternity to run, but it worked and I'm watching it now. Some of the synchrony is pretty spooky.

Back
Top Bottom