• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Star Trek AXANAR

Mark Moore

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Nice! Which continuity and time period is it in?

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Mark Moore said:
Nice! Which continuity and time period is it in?

It is in the Trek Prime Universe, set between Enterprise and TOS.

It is the story of Captain Garth of Izar (Captain Kirk's hero, as seen in the episode Whom Gods Destroy) and his role in the Battle of Anaxar, a defining moment in early Federation history.

http://startrekaxanar.com/

Menbailee

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Wow, thanks for the heads up on this, Bob. Right now, they're making a sort of "documentary" about the battle, a dry run for the movie. It's not a bad idea for working out kinks in makeup and for drumming up support.

I suppose that this is one place where I don't need to blush about having watched more than one Trek fan production. Most of them, while noble efforts, are creations that only a true fan could love. This looks like something that might just merit placement in the canon, alongside the professional movies. It has the cast and crew for it.

Vultural

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thank you, Bob.
Looks nice, though I'm trying to get it to view on big screen.

Wraith

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Only way to legally get the blu ray is to back the campaign on kickstarter at $75.
I for one have done so as a supporter of all things legal. This look INCREDIBLE.

Start Trek Phase II gets better (though they have yet to top the Sulue episode they did)...BUT I urge you all to go over to the related STAR TREK CONTINUES show. They are on Episode 3. The second is a sequel to WHO MOURNS FOR ADONIS...the Apollo episode with the same actor playing an aged Apollo...Its good, but episode 3 is a sensational sequel to MIRROR MIRROR....I got goosebumbs twice in the first 8 minutes....

so cool...

hebrides

Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
bionicbob said:
It is in the Trek Prime Universe, set between Enterprise and TOS.

It is the story of Captain Garth of Izar (Captain Kirk's hero, as seen in the episode Whom Gods Destroy) and his role in the Battle of Anaxar, a defining moment in early Federation history.

http://startrekaxanar.com/

Thanks for sharing this, Bob! Looks very cool indeed, and Kevin Haney, in addition to being an Academy Award-winning makeup artist, is the dad of my wife's oldest friend :)

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Just watched this again.... so impressive. Seriously, when you really analyze it, it is just actors sitting in chairs being interviewed in front of a green screen . And yet, I was completely riveted. It just shows there is still so much story that has yet to be mined from the Prime Universe. The Franchise just needs fresh blood and passion. Once again, I say "Wake UP CBS/Paramount!!!" :yell::director::smile:

Vultural

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The "talking heads" was extremely well done.
Again, getting seasoned actors, with depth and gravitas in their delivery, aided immeasurably.
The opening CGI, on the other hand, particularly near the 30 second mark, was harsh, bright, and utterly fake looking.
I'm thinking almost any editor here could have softened that and made it appear more believable.

As far as barking at Paramount, you are not reasoning this out. (Viacom, I believe, owns Paramount)
Movie execs don't give a damn about decent storytelling.
They want teenage asses (male) buying tickets.
That translates into - "Make it loud" - "Make it dumb" - "Flash some tits n ass"

Witless studio honchos aren't totally blind. They pay attention right quick to low attendance.
Axanar has a modest budget ($650k), yet a lot of heart.
I am sure I am not alone in hoping, when Axanar is released, a roomful of Paramount flunkies will go, "What the hell?"

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Well technically CBS owns the Star Trek television rights while Paramount controls the movie franchise.

JJ Abrams had planned on a new Trek TV series when prepping the 2009 movie, but conflict between CBS and Paramount scuttled this development.

And really, that is what I want, a return of Star Trek to the television screen where it can do what it does best -- tell great stories.

Maybe one day.... ;-)

Vultural

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I checked out their Kickstarter page.
Donation perks are intriguing -
$250 - Your photo will appear on the "casualty wall."
$3500 - Be an extra!
$5000 - Production Assistant (sounds like actual work to me)
$5000 - Name a ship! Be vain, be subversive.
$5000 - Featured extra! Your name in the credits and in IMDB.

Some of you might be bolting for your credit cards!
Me, the onscreen gig ain't gonna happen - I'd only crack the lens.
Yet for $25 I could get a digital download, and for $75, the BluRay DVD (produced by Robert Burnett, who produces Enterprise and Next Generation BluRays for CBS).

Thanks for clarifying that Viacom / CBS dichotomy, Bob.

Vultural

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Update:

Axanar has currently raised $388,000 of their $100,000 goal.

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
For those who have still not watched this, it is now on Youtube... and now it is here too... lol.

Wraith

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
IMPRSSIVE!

I think we have to accept that quality weekly episodic Star Trek is likely dead!

WHY

When unpaid individuals are able to produce quality of this standard, especially Axanar, Renegades and the most recent ST Continues...the creative juice to get back to basics is key.
If you analyse FAIREST OF THEM ALL and PRELUDE, its about character, good dialogue and acting and allegory...which is what the best of Trek was. I would gladly forego the FX budget for being drawn in by character.
My view is that trek will return to TV post the Third JJ movie but in a form closer to 10/12 eps per season al la Game of Thornes, Newsroom etc. I'd rather have concentrated genius than an avalanche of mediocrity with maybe 2 or 3 stand outs every 26 episodes.

Sherlock (UK version) is an example of what focus can deliver...(as is Thrones).

I'd like to see one of the independents picked up for 10 Network episodes. Frankly even doing season 4 or 5 of TOS would work for me now I have got used to other actors.

Captain Khajiit

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
^ Game of Thornes is certainly no bed of roses.

Axanar has shown great potential so far. That period in Starfleet history is definitely worth exploring.

Vultural

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
US networks don't really do mini-series.
Cable does, and overseas it's the norm.
Can't see Paramount execs doing that plan.
Is Berman still in the picture?

Top Bottom