• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Edge of Tomorrow

TMBTM

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I did not see thread for this movie (?) so be it.

(Spoiler free) first thoughts:

Best movie of the year?
Better than Days of Future past?

Probably not for everyone, but to me... it's almost that good! (at least after a first viewing).
The plot is not the most original thing ever, but it is put to screen VERY well. I like when they keep the script focused on what's important. Each scene have its place and it becomes rare in blockbusters. So, sure there is maybe one thing that could have been removed, but really, there is not much fat in this movie.
Damn, I don't know what to say without spoilers. I guess I just wanted to start the thread to say I loved this one.
That was a bit of a surprise given that I loved/hated Oblivion. So maybe the fact of having reasonably low expectations helped, but really I had a lot of fun watching this. Because the main word here is really: FUN.

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I liked the first two thirds okay, but the last act just left me tired and kind of depressed. Blam, blam, blam, blam. Not as bad as Man of Steel's finish, but no, nowhere near as good a movie as DOFP overall.

Say what you like about Battle: LA, at least it had a purpose and a heart, saying, "man, U.S. Marines are awesome!". This movie had no point or purpose. Maybe it's a love story? Not really. Or at all.

C

Meh. Starting to worry a bit about Cruise and his choices.

WyndorfDave

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Gaith said:
Say what you like about Battle: LA, at least it had a purpose and a heart, saying, "man, U.S. Marines are awesome!". This movie had no point or purpose. Maybe it's a love story? Not really. Or at all.
You lost me there. I found Battle: LA to be contrived, boring and poorly paced.
I did watch Edge last night and found it very enjoyable. It has many classic sci-fi tropes, and is well written. I enjoyed this film far more then the overrated DOFP. I highly recommend Edge of Tomorrow!

Nic

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Aside from Tropic Thunder, this is the only time I actually liked Tom Cruise in a movie. I really enjoyed how he grows from being an unlikable douche to being a better person with every death, and there was a lot of good comedy to be found in the ways that he died. However, the movie really should've ended around when
Cruise refuses to introduce himself to Emily Blunt, since that's the only way to save her. Yes, the visions leading to the Omega being a ruse was smart, and yes getting his blood diluted and losing his power was payoff, but there must've been a way to have all of that and still have Cruise keep Blunt out of the fight.
Other than that, it was good fun. That said, between this and Groundhog Day, I'd like to see a story where a character is stuck living the same day over and over and get worse instead of better.

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
How it should have ended: the general believes them at least enough to gamble on sending out a strike team of experts. As they wait for news, Cage and the woman go to a local pub for a quiet dinner and talk through their lives and shared traumas; the last twenty minutes play out around the table, My Dinner With Andre-style. The good news comes through, and our heroes get instant meritorious leave for travel to their respective homes. At the airport, they share a tender, chaste hug. Cage kisses her, chastely, on the forehead (he has to stand on his tippy-toes to do so, obviously). Fade to Sarah McLachlan's "Angel" playing over the end credits. I would have respected and enjoyed the hell out of that movie.

... Aaaaaand, that's also why they don't let me write $170m flicks.

Yet. :-D

Nic

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I don't think we're going to see that in a 2-3 minute animated sketch any time soon.

TMBTM

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
It seems that LIVE.DIE.REPEAT was the tagline on some posters of the movie and it still says LIVE.DIE.REPEAT: The Edge of Tomorrow on the side of this artwork. So maybe they jus put the tagline in BIG on the cover or something? Strange anyway.

KooKoo

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I thought Tom Cruise gave an amazing performance in Magnolia

Kal-El

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I haven't seen it, but I heard from colleagues that it was a good film because it was so much fun seeing Tom Cruise die all the time :lol:

Hymie

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'm a Cruise hater too, so that part was enjoyable. As much as I don't like the guy, I do enjoy most of his movies and this was no exception. Its another great science fiction picture that has a lot of heart and far more characterization than one would be lead to believe. Cruise does a good job in the film, as does Emily Blunt, and there's a few scenes where you really feel for his character and all he's going through as there are moments when it becomes clear the emotional trauma that is being done by reliving the same events over and over again (think the dark section of Groundhog Day).

It was a very enjoyable film, and I'm disappointed it didn't do well. Hopefully more people get a chance to check it out and will appreciate it over time.

Kal-El

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Read an article on cracked.com once that suggested Tom Cruise has a clause in his contracts that says he has to have a scene where he's running in every, single film. It sounds stupid but I'm inclined to believe it's true! Kind of arrogant, to be honest. Almost as if he wants the public to know 'hey I'm in my 50s and look what I can do, I'm super fit. I do my own stunts, I have stamina, blablabla.' And don't get me started on the whole Katie Holmes/jumping on the couch thing. Great actor, perhaps, at times, loveable person, not so much.

There's literally a clip on youtube for this sort of crap:

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Tom Cruise runs more than Olympic athletes.

"A sprinter for the Olympics, they only have to run two races a day. When I'm shooting, I could potentially have to run 30, 40 races a day, day after day."

Kal-El

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I doubt it :lol: A single take probably only needs 10-20m of sprinting :)

dangermouse

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Looks like it was around 92/93 that he perfected his "movie run". Been the same ever since!

ranger613

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
My next FE release before Pacific rim is going to be the Tom Cruise film "Collateral" with tightened pacing and other changes.. I worked on it for about a month along with Pac rim and it is completed. I think it's one of cruises best films. What do you guys think about this movie?

Kal-El

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hit and miss. One of Cruise's better (and generally more tolerable) performances, but on the other hand, I'm not a real fan of Foxx either. But it's good. Any edit that strives to improve Collateral is worth watching. Recently read there's a famous cameo in there but forgot who it was; do you know [MENTION=10544]ranger613[/MENTION] ? It was one of Foxx's fares.

ranger613

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Cameos? Hm, Jason statham was in one scene, javier bardem in another. I hope it'll be an enjoyable edit. Not a huge fan of either cruise or Fox in general, but I loved this film, mainly for the atmosphere mann created.

Top Bottom