• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Blade Runner: Tears in the Rain by ranger613

ranger613

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hi all,

I had this idea for a long time and just recently completed it. How would Blade Runner, my favorite film, look if told from the point of view of Batty instead of Deckard? If this was the story of a gang of Replicants trying to survive and Deckard is the ruthless killer hunting them down?

This is the REPLICANT cut, a vastly different version of the film which serves as an Alternate look at the story, not an extension of the original. It focuses almost exclusively on Batty and co. To further distinguish it from other versions, I decided to experiment with the look of the film, namely, render it in high contrast black and white. This is not greyscale (which is like watching the movie on your TV with the color off). I wanted the movie to have a stylistic, ultra-noir look ( like Frank Miller's Sin City comics)--the result, I feel, is just that: blown highlights and glares are balanced by deep contrast, reminiscent of the look of Fritz Lang's Metropolis-- recreating the shadowy world which Deckard inhabits, emphasizing the noir quality of the movie.

The cut is complete, and I would love it if you would review it for me. Please Private Message me for links if you can help do this to help me improve it before submitting it to fanedit.org. Thank you.

Runtime: 75 min
Original: 120 min
Time cut: 45 min

Revised Cutlist (spoiler alert):
1. Entire film in high-contrast B&W--contrast slightly increased for blown out scenes and reduced for underexposed shots.
2. Rutger Haur's credit before Harrison Ford. Film retitled "Tears in the Rain". Other titles cut except for Ridley Scott. Opening scrawl replaced with the "Replicant" definition from the Workprint cut.
3. Film cuts from Hades landscape (before the Leon-Holden interview) to Pris' meeting with JF Sebastian (with inserts of L.A. skyscape). This gives the replicants a more sympathetic intro in the film, instead of ruthless killers (credit for this change goes to TM2YC)
4. CHew-Leon-Batty scene moved to this point. Lines concerning JF Sebastian are cut as they have found him by now. Scene ends with Batty saying "Where do we find this... father?" implying Tyrell
5. Leon-Holden scene inserted here, as at this point the replicants have presumably gained info about how to access Tyrell corp for Chew.
6. Deckard's original intro, noodle store scene, trip to police station, all cut.
Deckard introduced driving to work listening to tape of Holden, followed by briefing scene with Bryant. VK on Rachel at Tyrell corp truncated to just the test and the post-test conversation with Tyrell.
4. Rachel VK followed by Pris scene with JF (raccoon airbrush scene) up to just before Batty shows up.
5. Deckard shown finding scale, followed by phone booth sequence of Batty-Leon. Their exit here is reminiscent of an earlier scene of them going to find Chew (This is intentional as there are other instances of memory play in the film--the inconsistencies of Holden's audio tape, etc. I felt this scene added a bit of deja-vu)
6. Scene of Rachel in Rick's apartment cut.
7. Unicorn dream and photo detection scenes cut.
8. Scale identification scene truncated as well as snake merchant. Bar and phone call cut.
9. After Zhora shot, phone call inserted, recut to appear as if Deckard calls Rachel out of loneliness, and then when she hangs up, he starts dialling again (it is implied this is Bryant he's calling, as the next scene is of Bryant arriving at the crime scene). (credit for this change goes to TM2YC)
10. Bryant's lines about Rachel are cut. Deckard and Rachel's scenes in his apartment after Leon shooting cut.
11. Deckard calling Pris cut. Bryant's V.O. about JF is played as Rick drives. In this version he goes straight to her apartment. It is implied form his actions in this version that he is in fact on top of his game and more menacing, unlike in the original, where he is an "ex-cop".
12. Ending with Rachel cut. Film now ends after Gaff's line "then again who does". Final shot is of Batty dead on roof and Rick staring at him.
13. BR theme replaced with the opening theme.
14. "Fanedit" and "Special thanks" cards inserted at end.

Let me know if you would like to watch this. Appreciate it,

Rangerkris

ranger613

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Here is a quick preview (note this is a random mashup of scenes):

In case you don't see the video, heres the link you can paste in the browser. Also, it's only in HD at Vimeo.com

vimeo.com/97539274

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
^ Hmmmm looks lovely in contrasty B&W :). But tell me, if this is a replicant cut, how come you trimmed Deckard's scenes? :p

I'd be only to happy to preview this for you. Send me a PM :).

ranger613

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TM2YC said:
^ Hmmmm looks lovely in contrasty B&W :). But tell me, if this is a replicant cut, how come you trimmed Deckard's scenes? :p

I'd be only to happy to preview this for you. Send me a PM :).

Lol good point! I just love the way the videophone scene looked, couldn't help myself haha. I will PM you now, thanks so much.

Sincerely, Kris

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I really enjoyed this a lot, such a great idea for a fanedit! :) Thanks [MENTION=10544]ranger613[/MENTION].

The high contrast B&W looks amazing and made me appreciate the noirish atmosphere, smoke filled rooms and dazzling lights even more (If such a thing were possible). The re-focus on Roy & Co. (Away from the hard-boiled detective angle) gave this a more poetic, dreamlike feel. Almost David Lynch like or even 'THX-1138'.

You'll be glad to hear that I found very few technical errors with this edit. The following need fixed/improved before I can approve this edit...

00.00.00 - Up contrast of 'previously red' text titles as they are appearing as off-white (i.e. an error). It would be better if they appeared as all-white (e.g. Ladd company text and Blade Runner logo)
00.00.44 - Without it being red, the 'Blade Runner' title is completely lost amongst the cast credits. The workprint logo would be a bit punchier? Or something brand new in a larger font?

600full-blade-runner-screenshot.jpg

00.15.13 - Music/audio cut sounded a litle harsh to me. Mix in a little more Vangelis or steal a chunk of city-hubbub from somewhere else and use it to smooth over the join.
00.31.17 - ^ Ditto
00.45.45 - ^^Ditto + isn't there a radio refrence to JF being dead that would help the plot a little here? (Yes there is see below)
00.54.33 - Shot of Roy touching Pris' chest wound is WAY too dark. It was only because I know this film, that I had any idea what I was seeing. Also, I know you want to 'blow-out' the whites but don't go crazy with it, to the point that sometimes around 50% of the image is just blank white screen. Try to find a setting where a subtle ammount of detail is still present in those white areas. Generally speaking, the look you've created looks stunning and there are only a few points where it became over done.

However, the encoding isn't as good as I feel it should be. The details are pin sharp but the softer areas of the image like smoke, mist and shadows (which there are a sh*t load off in this film) were very pixelated and compressed. At first I thought this might be down to a poor rendering pipeline as the filesize of 3.4GB seemed sufficient for a 1280x720 74min edit. But then I noticed that this was at 1920x800. You need a filesize of at least double that to make 'Full-HD' worthwhile. Either do 1280x544 at 3.4GB or 1920x800 at 6.8GB. For a very visually beautiful film like 'Blade Runner', you need to improve this (Even for a drab looking film, it would benefit from improval in this area).

(Click image ^ to see full res image) ^ As you can see the detail on the Tyrell building doesn't look too bad but the spinner and nightscape look very poor. It might be of use if you posted details of your 'pipeline' from start to finish. What programs, what formats, a few basic settings etc. Then me and others can maybe suggest improvements?

Right, onto the narrative. As I said above, I loved what the re-focusing brought to the story. But at points I felt this edit totally "lost the plot" (Literally). Things were removed and then were later still refrenced or characters were left barely explained (Or not at all). The subtleties of the basic narrative, plot construction and character backstories need some heavy reworking before this can be approved. I could follow it because I've seen 'Blade Runner' about a billion times. I very much doubt a new viewer would have the slightest clue what is going on.

In general terms, I felt that Deckard was both shown too much and not shown enough, Rachel was totally random and unexplained and Tyrell was also given short shrift. I think you should try to focus only on those Deckard elements that show him as a cold, ruthless machine, hunting down the replicants (The "goddamn one man slaughterhouse"). This would make a pleasing contrast with the emotionally naked replicants. Just show the scenes or lines where he is hunting his prey like a shadow of death and those parts that explain how he is following them (Nuts 'n' bolts police procedural stuff). So we see him turn over Leon's appartment, get the snake scale and then later rough-up Abdul Ben-Hassan (The inclusion of that small moment would add a much missed element of threat back to his character). But never show him thinking, contemplating life, being depressed, feeling remorse over killing Zhora etc. Just the bare bones mechanics needed to show how he is tracking the Replicants down.

Go through all Deckard's scenes again and ask yourself, "is this shot/line/scene/look ESSENTIAL to the plot?". These should be both your reasons to cut his footage and also why to keep other pieces.

Here are some ways that I thought the flow of the story could be improved...

00.00.58 - Change-up the opening crawl. It could say anything you like, so why not write something different. Add something that explains the new re-focused plot much better for your audience or... as this edit focuses on Batty more with his constant dropping of poetic quotes... why not open with a poem? (Blake maybe?). I'm no expert but here are a couple of grabs from Google...

The Human Abstract

"The Gods of the earth and sea
Sought thro' Nature to find this Tree;
But their search was all in vain:
There grows one in the Human Brain."
- William Blake

Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?

“You will be required to do wrong no matter where you go. It is the basic condition of life, to be required to violate your own identity. At some time, every creature which lives must do so. It is the ultimate shadow, the defeat of creation; this is the curse at work, the curse that feeds on all life. Everywhere in the universe.”
- Philip K. Dick

00.14.48 - End briefing scene just after "4 year lifespan" line or fade from that slowly into Pris walking. We don't need to hear Bryant tell Deckard to go see Tyrell, if that later scene has been cut*. Also why not re-arrange the dialogue to end the scene on a different note?
00.15.12 - *Don't cut the Tyrell meeting, it strongly sets up Tyrell, the plot, the nature of a Replicant and most importantly who the hell this Rachel cat is. However start somewhere in the middle, on the shot of Deckard calibrating the Voight-Kampff eye sensor (Or pehaps later). Skip all the chat between him and Rachael and just keep the VK bit and the chat with Tyrell about Nexus6s. The audience have seen Holden's VK so they don't need anymore explanation of what is happening in this scene. However trim down as much of the test as possible.
00.15.13 - A radical thought - You could open the film with Pris' arrival at JF's place. It would make for a more sympathetic introduction to the replicants, than Leon murdering Holden. There is nothing to indicate where in the narrative this scene takes place (until Roy shows up) so why not move it? Also this would add the pleasing symetry of the edit opening and closing in the same location.
00.20.25 - Scene of Deckard drinking wasn't needed at all. If this is re-focusing on Roy & Co. why are we following Deckard's solo story?
00.23.00 - The absence of the Leon appartment/Snake scale scene is all too obvious here. How did Deckard find Zhora? Why is he investigating her scales her back is turned?
00.31.00 - Without any setup, this sudden appearance of Deckard's date, turning up and saving his life is just totally bizarre (Again see *).
00.45.51 - Missing call from Bryant telling Deckard where to find Pris and Roy. Again this is what I was saying about too much and not enough Deckard. Your edit has room for Deckard randomly driving round listening to his police radio but not enough time for him to recieve a call on that same radio which was vital to the plot. You could even just dub Bryant's call over the shots of Deckard driving.
01.04.41 - Retaining the old ending makes zero sense and really lets down what has gone before. End the edit somewhere here when Roy dies. Probably on the long closeup of Roy's face, fading very slowly to black at 01.05.14 (Or a slow fade on Deckard crying... is he crying???).
01.08.40 - The final scenes. You haven't even established that Rachel is a replicant at this point. Why are they hiding and escaping, who is Gaff, what's this unicorn thing, why won't she live? etc etc etc. Also, you could perhaps rescore the ending credits with something more sombre?

Here are a few more random thoughts I had...

00.00.00 - An upfront "This is a fanedit" title, a intro titlecard or something would be an option?
00.00.44 - How about a new title? 'Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?', 'Dangerous Days' or even 'Tears in the rain' etc? Something more appropriate than 'Blade Runner', given that your goal is to minimise the Blade Runner element of the plot. Also I'll just throw 'Blade Runner: Noir' out there too.
00.00.00 - Probably a crazy idea but... have you thought about opening with the TEDTalk deleted scene from 'Prometheus' as a prologue? It was hinted in a DVD easter-egg that Weyland was working in competition with Tyrell. Re-edit to fit the BR replicated-humans narrative (Cut 2023 refrence etc) and rescore it with some of the unused Vangelis synth music from the BR soundtrack. Or even end the edit with it?

Hope that all ^ comes across as constructive criticism and I hope it helps. Right now, as much as I enjoyed this edit, it is strictly for hardcore 'Blade Runner' fans who will understand the gaps in the plot and just enjoy the new take on the mood. Before releasing it for the wider FE community, it needs more tweaking... and I hope more do see this as it's a lovely looking edit.

Let me know if anything I've written is unclear (I did ramble on a bit, sorry) or you want any advice and I'll be happy to help :).

ranger613

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TM2YC, first off, I cannot thank you enough for taking so much time off to review and contemplate my edit. All the suggestions you have made are excellent, and really point me in the right direction as to how to improve this edit. The more I think of it, the more I see where I can revamp and recut this picture. I'll get to work on it again, and get back to you soon.

Thank you so much for the kind words and the amazing feedback. I'll work on getting you an updated version soon.

Much appreciation,
Rangerkris

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
ranger613 said:
I'll work on getting you an updated version soon.

Take your time
. This isn't a race. Stop and really critique your own work, ensure it's the best you can make it before declaring it's finished.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
ranger613 said:
TM2YC, first off, I cannot thank you enough for taking so much time off to review and contemplate my edit. All the suggestions you have made are excellent, and really point me in the right direction as to how to improve this edit. The more I think of it, the more I see where I can revamp and recut this picture. I'll get to work on it again, and get back to you soon.

Thank you so much for the kind words and the amazing feedback. I'll work on getting you an updated version soon.

Much appreciation,
Rangerkris

No problemo :).

As Neglify said, take your time. I find uploading little preview portions of my edits/transitions/choices/etc is great for getting good feedback, that can often then be applied to the rest of the film. Any details on what programs you used to rip, edit and render the cut I've just seen? (Before you start work on another version).

ranger613

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Also, in thinking of a new title.. is Tears in the Rain ok? Doesn't sound too sappy or anything right lol.

ranger613

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TM2YC said:
No problemo :).

As Neglify said, take your time. I find uploading little preview portions of my edits/transitions/choices/etc is great for getting good feedback, that can often then be applied to the rest of the film. Any details on what programs you used to rip, edit and render the cut I've just seen? (Before you start work on another version).

Hi yes, I used Adobe Premiere Pro CC. I edit and render it all there. To extract the Bluray, I used Aiseesoft.

ranger613

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Neglify said:

Take your time
. This isn't a race. Stop and really critique your own work, ensure it's the best you can make it before declaring it's finished.
Thanks! Will do. :)

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
ranger613 said:
Hi yes, I used Adobe Premiere Pro CC. I edit and render it all there. To extract the Bluray, I used Aiseesoft.

Oh okay. I use Vegas which doesn't output amazing mp4s. So I output to lossless LagarithAvi and use an external program to make my mp4s. No idea what Premiere is like for encoding but might be worth experimenting with an external render program on a random 30 seconds to see what looks best?

ranger613

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TM2YC said:
Oh okay. I use Vegas which doesn't output amazing mp4s. So I output to lossless LagarithAvi and use an external program to make my mp4s. No idea what Premiere is like for encoding but might be worth experimenting with an external render program on a random 30 seconds to see what looks best?

I will do that. I think the problem was that I chose to render it at only 3 or 4 MB/s, resulting in the poorer quality. Will experiment until I get it right

ranger613

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hi TM2YC,

I want to ask your opinion re the flow. I cut out all scenes of Rick drinking, etc, and reinserted : tyrell corp VK test with rachel, finding scale, tracking it to Abdul Hassan who tells him who he sold it to. However, I was wondering if the next scene after Rick identifies the club should immediately cut to him waiting for zhora in the dressing room-- dropping the phone call to rachel. (Pro of dropping the phone call: less rick time in the film, better pacing. Con: less rachel in the film than it is, making her appearance there to save him more abrupt)

Should I drop the phone call? (a work around to this is reinserting the scene where bryant calls him a one man slaughterhouse and tells him rachel is a target, making her relevant again in the scene) Whats the best course of action?

Options:
1. (currently) Snake merchant--phone call--zhora--leon
2. snake merchant--zhora--bryant--leon
3. snake merchant--zhora--leon

Thanks much for your help man

Rangerkris

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Oh god that's a really hard call to make without seeing it in action. It would all be so easy if Rachel wasn't the one who kills Leon. My instinct is that you need the bare bones of the phone call at least, to establish why Rachel would be looking for Deckard in that particular area of L.A. I'd be cautious about retaining any suggestion that Rachel has gone on the run from Tyrell, as this would leave the question of why Deckard doesn't hunt her down wide open and never resolved.

Crazy idea that probably wouldn't work... have Deckard call Rachel after killing Zhora? He's feeling depressed and after the killing and wants some 'Human' company. Then Leon attacks him after the brush off and Rachel suddenly turns up.

I don't know maybe it's just better to have her randomly be on the street and save him, as the phone call brings up too much baggage from other plot threads.

Another crazy idea maybe but... what if Rachel died at Rick's apartment halfway through the film? Using the is-she/isn't-she alive scene of him finding her on his couch. Cutaway before she is seen to be alive and transition into Deckard getting drunk or something. Probably wouldn't work and would involve using too much Deckard material but hey, I thought it was worth mentioning.

ranger613

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thanks TM2YC, I re-edited the film based on your feedback and made several minor and major changes...

Revised Cutlist (spoiler alert):
1. Entire film in high-contrast B&W--contrast slightly increased for blown out scenes and reduced for underexposed shots.
2. Rutger Haur's credit before Harrison Ford. Film retitled "Tears in the Rain". Other titles cut except for Ridley Scott. Opening scrawl replaced with the "Replicant" definition from the Workprint cut.
3. Film cuts from Hades landscape (before the Leon-Holden interview) to Pris' meeting with JF Sebastian (with inserts of L.A. skyscape). This gives the replicants a more sympathetic intro in the film, instead of ruthless killers (credit for this change goes to TM2YC)
4. CHew-Leon-Batty scene moved to this point. Lines concerning JF Sebastian are cut as they have found him by now. Scene ends with Batty saying "Where do we find this... father?" implying Tyrell
5. Leon-Holden scene inserted here, as at this point the replicants have presumably gained info about how to access Tyrell corp for Chew.
6. Deckard's original intro, noodle store scene, trip to police station, all cut.
Deckard introduced driving to work listening to tape of Holden, followed by briefing scene with Bryant. VK on Rachel at Tyrell corp truncated to just the test and the post-test conversation with Tyrell.
4. Rachel VK followed by Pris scene with JF (raccoon airbrush scene) up to just before Batty shows up.
5. Deckard shown finding scale, followed by phone booth sequence of Batty-Leon. Their exit here is reminiscent of an earlier scene of them going to find Chew (This is intentional as there are other instances of memory play in the film--the inconsistencies of Holden's audio tape, etc. I felt this scene added a bit of deja-vu)
6. Scene of Rachel in Rick's apartment cut.
7. Unicorn dream and photo detection scenes cut.
8. Scale identification scene truncated as well as snake merchant. Bar and phone call cut.
9. After Zhora shot, phone call inserted, recut to appear as if Deckard calls Rachel out of loneliness, and then when she hangs up, he starts dialling again (it is implied this is Bryant he's calling, as the next scene is of Bryant arriving at the crime scene). (credit for this change goes to TM2YC)
10. Bryant's lines about Rachel are cut. Deckard and Rachel's scenes in his apartment after Leon shooting cut.
11. Deckard calling Pris cut. Bryant's V.O. about JF is played as Rick drives. In this version he goes straight to her apartment. It is implied form his actions in this version that he is in fact on top of his game and more menacing, unlike in the original, where he is an "ex-cop".
12. Ending with Rachel cut. Film now ends after Gaff's line "then again who does". Final shot is of Batty dead on roof and Rick staring at him.
13. BR theme replaced with the opening theme.
14. "Fanedit" and "Special thanks" cards inserted at end.

Rendering this cut and polishing it up now. Thanks!

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
^ Looking forward to seeing the new version :). Not sure if retaining the "To bad she won't live... but then again who does" line will work (Given that every character involved with that sentence, has been drastically cut) but maybe it will when I watch it through.

btw I was randomly googling 'Blade Runner' and found a few things that might be useful for inspiration or cover artwork?

Blade-Runner-Film-Noir.jpg

^ Old-skool Film-Noir title effect.

blade_runner_wallpaper_by_rabittooth-d4789yc.jpg

^ The right of the image (With Deckard cropped out) is nice.

__tears_in_the_rain___by_clivespaintings-d45ndto.jpg

831489.jpg

like_tears_in_the_rain_by_tbone310-d4zo0bg.jpg

14213516319_09e64140e0_o.jpg

Tears-in-the-Rain.png

^ Might be more suited in B&W.

14213632127_bd83140425_o.jpg

ruther%2Bhauer%2B02.jpg

tumblr_lzan52dewT1qdkmano1_1280.jpg

ranger613

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hi, yes, editing is complete! Special thanks to you man. I left the "too bad..." line in because it implies there is more going on beneath the surface that we the audience don't know about... it'll leave us thinking at the end-- what did he mean? who was she? Rachel? (Kind of how the unicorn leaves you thinking at the end of BR). My hope is that this, being a companion piece to BR, will want to make people revisit the original again, which is a masterpeice (well, the Director's Cut or Final Cut). But that's just me, let's see if it works.

THANKS so much for the cover ideas! I looked for some myself and listed some in the "Spoiler" button in your quote below.

TM2YC said:
^

btw I was randomly googling 'Blade Runner' and found a few things that might be useful for inspiration or cover artwork?

blade_runner_wallpaper_by_rabittooth-d4789yc.jpg

^ I agree with the The right of the image (With Deckard cropped out)!

__tears_in_the_rain___by_clivespaintings-d45ndto.jpg

LOVE this!!

831489.jpg

Ditto
like_tears_in_the_rain_by_tbone310-d4zo0bg.jpg

Ditto
14213516319_09e64140e0_o.jpg

Ditto

ruther%2Bhauer%2B02.jpg

I also loved these:
blade-runner-poster-493x700.jpg

blade_runner_poster_art_l.jpg

e2b020327eb4c3f4e2264301f07801e5.jpg

I was toying with the idea of asking a professional cover artist take the reins of the cover, as it in itself is an art form and it might be fun to design a noirish piece of cover art for this cut of the film...plus I don't even have Photoshop :( I saw that you do some pretty amazing cover arts yourself, and wondered if it's legal for faneditors to ask others to help do their covers for them? If so, would you be interested in throwing something together for a cover? :) Anything you do is fine by me man, in fact I'd be honored to have a veteran like you do the cover. If you cannot, I understand, I wonder if you could make recommendations.

Much appreciation!
Rangerkris

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Well it seems I'm a day late and a dollar short. I was just able to give your first draft a look and came here to leave my thoughts and see a new version has already been completed. I have to say I agree with TM2YC's thoughts. It looks great but I didn't feel it went far enough as a Replicant cut. I think softening the replicants more would help as well as TM2YC's suggestion to harden Deckard. For example, you could have Zhora just run instead of trying to strangle Deckard. The replicants need to be more sympathetic; they don't want to hurt anyone, they just want answers. Overal this was great and a great idea. I'll look forward to the finished product. I don't think this would replace the original, but would serve as an excellent companion piece for fans of the film.

Edited to add:

In reading your new cutlist, I'm glad to see you're ending the film sooner, though I still think it should end on Deckard's face right after Batty dies.

One other suggestion, though this may be controversial to some fans. Can you get rid of the nail and the dove? These always struck me as too heavy handed.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
ranger613 said:
THANKS so much for the cover ideas! I looked for some myself and listed some in the "Spoiler" button in your quote below.

I was toying with the idea of asking a professional cover artist take the reins of the cover, as it in itself is an art form and it might be fun to design a noirish piece of cover art for this cut of the film...plus I don't even have Photoshop :( I saw that you do some pretty amazing cover arts yourself, and wondered if it's legal for faneditors to ask others to help do their covers for them? If so, would you be interested in throwing something together for a cover? :) Anything you do is fine by me man, in fact I'd be honored to have a veteran like you do the cover. If you cannot, I understand, I wonder if you could make recommendations.

Much appreciation!
Rangerkris

Probably working on too many covers at the moment but I'll think about it and try to come up with something. Have a go yourself, you might be surprise what you come up with... I don't have photoshop either, just a 15 year old paint program :D. I always try to make a cover that (for me at least) gels well with the edit. It's a Noir cut, so make a Noir cover, simples.

Film%20Noir%20Poster%20-%20Dark%20Corner,%20The_01.jpg

19-the3rdman.jpg

gilda-movie-poster-1946-1020142589.jpg

poster1.jpg

I find browsing Google images for old posters a great way to get inspired. Find something you like then use at the basis for your fonts, colour-scheme and layout.

Top Bottom