If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot. More details on our policies, especially our Own the Source rule are available here. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.

Top Ten TV Shows
(01-30-2019, 07:23 PM)bionicbob Wrote: Book'em Danno, it time for my 

Top Ten Fave COPS shows....

I forgot this honorable mention....

THE JESSE STONE MYSTERIES (2006-present) starring Tom Selleck.
Not technically a tv series, but rather a series of tv movies.  Absolutlely LOVE THEM!
Thus far there has been 9 movies.  Based on the Robert B. Parker novels.
You watch these more for the characters and stylish dialogue, the actually mystery is almost an afterthought.

...and somehow I forgot the about the cop series....

HUNTER (1984-90)  This is a classic example that it is not just about the stars, but about the talent behind the camera, more specifically, the showrunner.  Season one was a forgettable action Dirty Harry rip off.  Season two enter new showrunner and vetern tv producer Roy Huggins, the show became a must watch for gritty, urban, violent action mysteries for the next 6 seasons.  In the final season, Stephanie Kramer had departed and the show underwent a retooling, turning it into a bland procedural.  Cancelled shortly after, but NBC attempted to resurrect the show multiple times as tv movies and a continuation series, but they could never recapture the lightning in the bottle again.  But for it original run, seasons 2 thru 6, it was one of the best cop action shows ever.
"... let's go exploring!" -- CALVIN.
..I see by the self destructing tape that it is spy time...

My Top Ten Fave SPY TV Shows:

10.  24 (2001-2014)  A show's whose very premise is both its strength and weakness.  Yo-yo seasons of varying quality, that push your suspension of disbelief into the ridiculous zone.  None the less, the force of nature intensity of Jack Baur keeps you coming back.

09.  SCARECROW AND MRS. KING (1983-87)  Secret agent Tron team ups with an Angel homemaker to protect America, it was a fun match made in heaven.

08.  GET SMART (1965-70)  Would you believe....hilarious? lol  Created by comedic genius Mel Brooks, it is one of the great spoof comedies of all time.  It spawned a theatrical movie, a tv movie reunion and a continuation series.  Plus the remake with Steve Carrell, which was pretty darn funny too.

07.  LA FEMME NIKITA (1997-2001)  A low budget but exceptional spy drama, inspired by the Luc Besson film.  A good woman drafted into a violent, amoral spy agency -- in many ways the progenitor to Alias.  When the series was cancelled, a write in campaign by fans conviniced the USA Network for a final abrievated season to resolve its plotlines.  

06.  JAKE 2.0 (2003) A short lived cool spy series that was heavily influenced by The Six Million Dollar Man, and bears some remarkable similarites to the later series Chuck; it was great escapist fun.  Lee Majors even guest starred.   Frustratingly, the long promised dvd release has yet to happen.

05.  THE BIONIC WOMAN (1976-78)  The Bionic Bride gets her own spin-off series!  Season one and two are wonderful, but then Kenny Johnson was fired, Harve Bennett stepped back from daily duties, the show was moved to another network so no more Bionic Man crossovers and everything fell apart in season three.  Well, almost.  Season three did introduce Max, the bionic dog!!! WOOF!

04.  ALIAS (2001-06)  JJ Abrams introduces the world to Red Matter and made Jennifer Gardner a star.  The first three seasons were fantastic, the last two not so much.  But it did have a solid series finale.

03. CHUCK (2007-12)  A wonderful fun and funny action adventure series, a geek Chuck inadvertantly becomes a super agent.  Lots of great guest stars and entertaining season arcs.

02.  THE AVENGERS (1961-77)  Steed and Mrs. Peel, the ultimate dynamatic spy duo.  While the show existed before Mrs. Peel and went on after her departure, it is this perfect period of flirtatous, smart and surreal twists, that made this show a timeless classic.   It would spawn a 70s tv  sequel The New Avengers and a studio butchered theatrical version that is worth watching solely for Uma Thurman. Smile

01. MISSION:  IMPOSSIBLE  (1966-73)  Before Ethan Hunt was jumping on to buildings, planes and trains, the original IM Force was conducting brillaint conman chess moves to defeat their foes.   This is the greatest spy series period.
Wow, Jake 2.0....deep cut.

(Never seen it but I vaguely recognized the name)
(02-14-2019, 03:21 PM)bionicbob Wrote: ..I see by the self destructing tape that it is spy time...

My Top Ten Fave SPY TV Shows:

10.  24 (2001-2014)  A show's whose very premise is both its strength and weakness.  Yo-yo seasons of varying quality, that push your suspension of disbelief into the ridiculous zone.  None the less, the force of nature intensity of Jack Baur keeps you coming back.

09.  SCARECROW AND MRS. KING (1983-87)  Secret agent Tron team ups with an Angel homemaker to protect America, it was a fun match made in heaven.

08.  GET SMART (1965-70)  Would you believe....hilarious? lol  Created by comedic genius Mel Brooks, it is one of the great spoof comedies of all time.  It spawned a theatrical movie, a tv movie reunion and a continuation series.  Plus the remake with Steve Carrell, which was pretty darn funny too.

07.  LA FEMME NIKITA (1997-2001)  A low budget but exceptional spy drama, inspired by the Luc Besson film.  A good woman drafted into a violent, amoral spy agency -- in many ways the progenitor to Alias.  When the series was cancelled, a write in campaign by fans conviniced the USA Network for a final abrievated season to resolve its plotlines.  

06.  JAKE 2.0 (2003) A short lived cool spy series that was heavily influenced by The Six Million Dollar Man, and bears some remarkable similarites to the later series Chuck; it was great escapist fun.  Lee Majors even guest starred.   Frustratingly, the long promised dvd release has yet to happen.

05.  THE BIONIC WOMAN (1976-78)  The Bionic Bride gets her own spin-off series!  Season one and two are wonderful, but then Kenny Johnson was fired, Harve Bennett stepped back from daily duties, the show was moved to another network so no more Bionic Man crossovers and everything fell apart in season three.  Well, almost.  Season three did introduce Max, the bionic dog!!! WOOF!

04.  ALIAS (2001-06)  JJ Abrams introduces the world to Red Matter and made Jennifer Gardner a star.  The first three seasons were fantastic, the last two not so much.  But it did have a solid series finale.

03. CHUCK (2007-12)  A wonderful fun and funny action adventure series, a geek Chuck inadvertantly becomes a super agent.  Lots of great guest stars and entertaining season arcs.

02.  THE AVENGERS (1961-77)  Steed and Mrs. Peel, the ultimate dynamatic spy duo.  While the show existed before Mrs. Peel and went on after her departure, it is this perfect period of flirtatous, smart and surreal twists, that made this show a timeless classic.   It would spawn a 70s tv  sequel The New Avengers and a studio butchered theatrical version that is worth watching solely for Uma Thurman. Smile

01. MISSION:  IMPOSSIBLE  (1966-73)  Before Ethan Hunt was jumping on to buildings, planes and trains, the original IM Force was conducting brillaint conman chess moves to defeat their foes.   This is the greatest spy series period.

At least I agree with Mission Impossible being at the top of your list and The Avengers being second. I may have reversed them. One has gotta have an ....err...for Ms. Emma Peel. She was hot before it was hot to be hot. Straight up yummy!

I would have included I SPY, The Man From U.N.C.L.E., The Blacklist, The Americans, Blindspot and Person of Interest. And left off a few that you chose.
A purveyor and connoisseur of quality edits for thirty seven years.

Working on my first booze drenched hard rocking edit intended for public consumption.

Cut to Zeppelin (Sharp Objects: Shorter, Faster, and Harder)
I guess I haven’t watched many spy shows.  The Americans would lead my list. The rest, in no particular order would be 24, MI, Alias, Homeland, and Archer  Tongue.
(02-14-2019, 06:44 PM)Moe_Syzlak Wrote: I guess I haven’t watched many spy shows.  The Americans would lead my list. The rest, in no particular order would be 24, MI, Alias, Homeland, and Archer  Tongue.

Do yourself a favor and check out The Blacklist and Person of Interest. Scorpion was good for the first couple of seasons.

You will thank me.
A purveyor and connoisseur of quality edits for thirty seven years.

Working on my first booze drenched hard rocking edit intended for public consumption.

Cut to Zeppelin (Sharp Objects: Shorter, Faster, and Harder)
I absolutely agree, THE AMERICANS is excellent.  Definitely on my modern must watch list.
Also, KILLING EVE is equally excellent.

HOMELAND is one of those shows that has been on my list to see but never seem to get to...

I,SPY is certainly an important series in tv history, but the show itself never really kept me glued... maybe I was too young to appreciate it.
While I know MAN FROM UNCLE was a huge hit show in its time... many episodes re-edited into theatrical releases to cash in on its tv success... it is a show I just did not like....shrug....  Blush

Love PERSON OF INTEREST.... it will be appearing on a different top 10 list.... Wink
I bailed from Homeland pretty quickly. The first (and maybe second?) season(s) were great but it fell off pretty quickly.
(02-14-2019, 08:45 PM)Moe_Syzlak Wrote: I bailed from Homeland pretty quickly. The first (and maybe second?) season(s) were great but it fell off pretty quickly.

Concur. I barely even remember seasons 4 and 5, never bothered to watch it past that. But seasons 1 and 2 are dope.
Disclaimer: The views and opinions expressed in this forum post do not represent the views of Fanedit.org or the Administrators. 
(02-14-2019, 03:37 PM)TVs Frink Wrote: Wow, Jake 2.0....deep cut.

(Never seen it but I vaguely recognized the name)