If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot. More details on our policies, especially our Own the Source rule are available here. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.

Doctor Who
(07-18-2017, 02:50 AM)dangermouse Wrote: I have to say that I'm glad I live in Europe. Here it is still possible to have socio-political  debates and discuss ideas without the desperate need to fling faeces and engage in ad hominem attacks on whoever has a different opinion. At least now I understand why America voted in an ape as a president.
If anyone feels like engaging on this topic above the level of a toddler in a playpen, feel free to PM me.

If you feel like discussing the relevant topic of a woman Doctor, feel free.  But this is your last warning.  The next post you make that is nothing but insults will result in a 1-day ban.
(07-18-2017, 05:38 AM)LastSurvivor Wrote: However.. don't get me started on Bond becoming a woman... that's just silly.  If you want to do that, just create a new 00 character who is a woman.

Because it's tangentially related, I'll engage...

Why is that silly?  Obviously you couldn't call her "James Bond" so she'd be Jane Bond or something, but assuming everything else about her is the same other than her first name and that she's a woman, what's the big deal?

Honestly I don't know much more about Jame Bond than I do about Doctor Who, but he's a super spy and womanizer, right?  A woman can do those things.

I know you said "just create a new 00 character who is a woman" but I don't see how making James Bond a woman is any different than doing that.
(07-18-2017, 08:34 AM)TVs Frink Wrote:
(07-18-2017, 05:38 AM)LastSurvivor Wrote: However.. don't get me started on Bond becoming a woman... that's just silly.  If you want to do that, just create a new 00 character who is a woman.

Why is that silly?  Obviously you couldn't call her "James Bond" so she'd be Jane Bond or something, but assuming everything else about her is the same other than her first name and that she's a woman, what's the big deal?

Honestly I don't know much more about Jame Bond than I do about Doctor Who, but he's a super spy and womanizer, right?  A woman can do those things.

I know you said "just create a new 00 character who is a woman" but I don't see how making James Bond a woman is any different than doing that.
Are you going to ban yourself Frink? This is totally off topic. Get off your soapbox or move it to another thread
Sure you can call a female James.
I know at least two Jamies who also answer to James.
Mind you, I have trouble picturing Emily Mortimer as 007.
(07-18-2017, 08:47 AM)dangermouse Wrote:
(07-18-2017, 08:34 AM)TVs Frink Wrote:

Are you going to ban yourself Frink? This is totally off topic. Get off your soapbox or move it to another thread

[*checks staff list*]

Nope, you're not on it.  Next time don't try to moderate the forums.

Enjoy a day off.
Help is at hand...

(07-18-2017, 08:34 AM)TVs Frink Wrote: Why is that silly?  Obviously you couldn't call her "James Bond" so she'd be Jane Bond or something, but assuming everything else about her is the same other than her first name and that she's a woman, what's the big deal?
[...]

I wouldn't be offended by a "Jane Bond", or consider it in any way a big deal, but I don't see what the point would be. The Doctor is a regenerating alien, so sure, being gender-flexible makes sense. But James Bond is a guy who works for a spy agency, so if one wanted to do a story about a woman spy, wouldn't it make more sense to create such a character in the same agency than to gender-swap one of today's most archetypal masculine characters? If anything, I'd think it'd be more interesting to create the new female womanizing super-spy character, because then she and James could interact, and that sounds to me like a memorable conversation.
I mean honestly the point would at least partly be to piss off people who couldn't handle it.

But it would be pretty fascinating to gender swap one of today's archetypal masculine characters.  Who wouldn't want to see a female spy bedding every single man she crossed paths with while simultaneously punching them in the face a bunch of times?

My Bond knowledge is obviously not much greater than my Who knowledge.
Jane Bond. I want to watch this. Have Jane and James pitted against each other by rival secret government agencies or whatever in a high octane action scenario and see who's the best spy and or womanizer (it'd be a draw, or Jane+James=thebest) then they'd have to rebuild their marriage before stopping the villian/ess.

I don't care for the Daniel Craig 007 films. Never seen Doctor Who, or know where to start.
I may be an A-hole, but I'm not 100% a dick - Han Solo
Currently working on: Mad Max: Fury Road (silent edit)
There were a lot of people who couldn't even handlethe idea of  a blonde James Bond. Or a black Roland Deschain. Why not just create a new character? Because there's a brand already. A female Bond would already have the brand power that some new female super spy character would not.