If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot. More details on our policies, especially our Own the Source rule are available here. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.

A few reviews
Not sure. Let's ask Batman.
Vultural Wrote:Byzantium - 2012 - 6/10

[Image: 2cghreq.jpg]

Arched vampire film (sounded like a play to me) set in Hastings and Dublin.
Dual threads of modern girls eeking a living by petty crimes and prostitution, being trailed by two men in blue gloves. Secondary thread is of same girls, two hundred years earlier, and how they came to be "turned."
Slow, low on thrills, yet avoids the usual cliches. Mysterious order and isolated cave involved.
Violates vampire rules such as daylight and mirrors - I am seeing this more often lately.
Top crew led by Neil Jordan.
Just watched this, after circling it for years - like its detectives, I can be a patient predator. From the reviews, I was expecting a moody, slow-burn, minimal-dialogue artsy take on vampires with a feminist edge, and that's what I got. Just when my patience started to wear thin, however, the plot kicked into gear, and I was pleasantly surprised at how nicely the whole story fit together, with a genuinely suspenseful conclusion. Fans of Carnivàle's very deliberate first season should appreciate this film, which could absolutely share its universe. And now I want to spend a few days walking around Hastings.

B+
Gaith Wrote:And now I want to spend a few days walking around Hastings.

[Image: 5drorm.jpg]

Hastings is well worth a daytrip if you get a posting or port in UK.
Don't know if the US actually has any naval stations there, however.
Birdman (2014)

Ultimately it didn't hold my interest. What was it about in the end? Stage vs screen? Art vs. the business of entertainment? These are clichéd topics and the film doesn't even really offer anything new on the subject. It also doesn't seem to trust itself to convey this through the action on the screen. The theatre critic seemed to be almost entirely there to explain what the movie is about to the audience. The single long take format was impressive, but more distracting than narrative compelling. There doesn't seem to be much point to it other than perhaps to lend some of the staging challenges of theatre to the film. Contrast this with Touch of Evil or Children of Men where the long takes were essential in creating tension. Both also feel natural and unforced to the point where they could easily go unnoticed. In short, they add to film whereas I felt Birdman's structure ultimately detracted. The performances were all top notch, but I still found the characters rather two dimensional. Perhaps again that's the point. The fact that so much of the on-screen character relies on the audience's knowledge of the actor's off screen history also felt gimmicky to me. I guess ultimately I may have been kinder to this film if I had seen it before the hype. It wasn't a bad film, but it wasn't great either.

6/10
Vultural Wrote:[Image: 5drorm.jpg]

Hastings is well worth a daytrip if you get a posting or port in UK.
Don't know if the US actually has any naval stations there, however.
Oh, I'm getting out of the Navy in either 9 or 12 months (preferably the former), thanks, before they finally get around to sending me overseas in one of their floating prisons. So, I fear it'll likely be a long time before I return to the UK; I may even get to New Zealand first. Smile

ranger613 Wrote:2. Fury-- if Sam Peckinpah were alive today, this would be his follow up to cross of iron. Hard hitting, violent, bitter, no nonsense nonPC war movie. Not for everyone. Brad Pitt is tank commander Wardaddy ( Aldo Raine is a light hearted caricature of this guy) all American Nazi killer, commanding, brutal and a d**k most of the time. Shia lebouf in his first actual movie as bible quoting southern tank gunner, actually did a good job. Tank battles were awesome. Some sequences could have been removed and more character development would have helped make you care more about the characters, but I personally love these kinds of movies. Recommended if you're a fan of wild bunch, Alfredo Garcia, pat garrett, straw dogs and cross of iron.
Score 3.5/5
Seriously legit war movie - unlike The Hurt Locker, it has more than one interesting character, and unlike Saving Private Ryan, it doesn't center around a silly (entirely made up) main plot. (Full credit to SPR for the D-Day sequence, though, and its final battle is good, too.) The whole cast is great, including Peña and Labeouf and 'the girl' (man, is she pretty), but the most props go to Pitt. Never having been bad in his younger years that I know of, he's become a real cinematic treasure, just effortlessly captivating, elevating even muddled stuff like The Counselor and just plain stupid stuff like World War Z with pure manly dignity every moment he's onscreen.

The third act is a bit over the top and absurd, but I didn't really mind. I did mind, however, that the movie makes a big deal of Pitt shaving in a house halfway through, but then that very afternoon he's all stubbly and grizzled again. WTF?! That had to have been an intentional fudge on Ayer's part; I just can't believe that didn't occur to them while filming.

A-
Kumiko, the Treasure Hunter

Just saw this American film which takes place half in Tokyo and half in Minnesota. It's about a Japanese woman who believes Fargo to be a true story and goes to the US in search of the cash Buscemi buried. It sounds like a wacky cross-cultural comedy but it's actually a depressing story of a severely lonely and delusional woman wandering around in the cold. Not what I expected from the description. It was loosely based on a true story of a Japanese woman who committed suicide in Minnesota; news reports at the time said she was looking for the treasure in Fargo but that turned out to be a misunderstanding. So that makes it somewhat exploitative as well. Anyway, it's not a bad movie, but the tone was so off-putting that I stayed in a bad mood for some hours afterward. Last time I see a movie on recommendation from my mother.
I liked it a lot too, but it's pretty hard not to spoil.
The base was holding a free advance screening of the new Vacation movie, so I went. Walked out after ten minutes or so, dismayed at both what was on screen and the moderate laughter from the crowd. Just garbage.

Vultural Wrote:Grand Piano - 2013 - 6/10

[Image: 2chxdlg.jpg]

Variation on the “locked room” mystery.
Reclusive pianist (Elijah Wood) makes a stage comeback after his mentor’s death.
Once onstage, he sees a written note and earpiece, then warnings to play faultlessly or die.
A laser on the sheet music, and silencer gun strike on the floor convince him.
Clues arrive slowly, as do reasons. More tension than action, with the narrative rarely leaving the stage.
OK time waster if the only alternative is television fodder.
John Cusack provides the voice of the villain.
On Netflix Instant.

Wow, what a beautiful movie. Swooping cinematography, amazing colors and shading and subtleties and a razor-sharp image... damn. I'm not sure I've quite seen its equal in that regard.

So, okay, Frodo has to play faultlessly or die. That's a recipe for tension, granted, but is there an actual story involved? Turns out there is. A very, very silly story that borders on sci-fi, in a way. Alex Winter steals scenes; the conductor is a dead ringer for Star Trek's Ron D. Moore.

Not as good as Phone Booth, but for fans of experimental/enclosed-space movies, not a waste of time. B-

[Image: The_Monuments_Men_poster.jpg]

A very oddly scripted movie. For instance: a bunch of older dudes are assembled into a special WWII Army unit, and get wildly different ranks. Now, I'm in the actual Navy now, but even so, I have very little idea why who got what rank. Prior service, maybe? Had any of them been in WWI? The movie doesn't say. And the actors are so recognizable and the characters so thinly sketched that you never see them as characters, it's just Clooney and Damon and Co. jaunting around Europe.

That said, it was a pleasant, low-key watch, and I don't regret its existence, or having seen it. It struck me as a popcorn movie for geezers, much like this year's WWII-themed Woman in Gold, and there ain't nothing wrong with that. B-, also.

[Image: The_Guest_Film_Poster.jpg]

Much buzzed-about movie new to Netflix Instant. After half an hour, I gave up, read the rest of the plot on Wikipedia, and am glad I did. Charming houseguest soldier guest turns badass turns bad guy. So what? Nothing but thin stereotypes. So you got a handsome lead and a synth score? To quote Shania, That Don't Impress me Much.
Gaith Wrote:The base was holding a free advance screening of the new Vacation movie, so I went. Walked out after ten minutes or so, dismayed at both what was on screen and the moderate laughter from the crowd. Just garbage.

That's a shame to hear. The trailers looked ok and I dig the cast.
Disclaimer: The views and opinions expressed in this forum post do not represent the views of Fanedit.org or the Administrators.