If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot. More details on our policies, especially our Own the Source rule are available here. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.

Random movie thoughts
^ Okay, watched Imitation Game last night. Boy, were you not kidding about the shitty writing! Some American a-hole won an Oscar for this crap? Jesus Christo. The gags about Turing not grokking jokes and figures of speech were beyond trite, Knightley was woefully miscast in a misconceived part, and, no disrespect to people whose autism really does make them deeply awkward and socially challenged, Cumberbatch's historically unfounded Rain Man routine was just painful to watch. And though I can see people disagreeing with me on this point, I would have really appreciated some Beautiful Mind-style visual interpretations of Turing's mathematical thought process. (I really liked said surreal touches in The Fifth Estate, an underrated and much better film with a much better Cumberbatch performance.)

To be fair, I briefly found the final scenes, with Turing hobbling and afraid during the persecution phase, quite powerful, though the effect quickly wore off with the eye-rolling end titles, and Mark Strong was the only one not to embarrass himself at all.

Yes, the movie is no doubt closer to the historical truth than the overtly fictional Enigma, but though it's been a few years, I feel absolutely confident in calling Enigma the far better film. My recommendation to anyone interested in the real story would be to read a book and watch Enigma if they like, but definitely and skip this lousy movie entirely. Ugh. :p

D+
I've somehow never seen Natural Born Killers, and I had no idea that the Nine Inch Nails song "Something I Can Never Have" is in it. Today I'm watching the movie, and I get to the scene with the song, and suddenly I recognize all the dialogue. I think, "oh, so this is the random dialogue in the song I always wondered about." I pause the movie and load up the song (from Pretty Hate Machine) on my phone...but there's no dialogue from the movie.

There must be some extended/alternate version of the song I heard once (many?) upon a time, such that it stuck in my brain. Maybe from the movie soundtrack?

Side note: NIN has never topped PHM.
TV's Frink Wrote:I've somehow never seen Natural Born Killers, and I had no idea that the Nine Inch Nails song "Something I Can Never Have" is in it. Today I'm watching the movie, and I get to the scene with the song, and suddenly I recognize all the dialogue. I think, "oh, so this is the random dialogue in the song I always wondered about." I pause the movie and load up the song (from Pretty Hate Machine) on my phone...but there's no dialogue from the movie.

There must be some extended/alternate version of the song I heard once (many?) upon a time, such that it stuck in my brain. Maybe from the movie soundtrack?

They put that edited version on the soundtrack, and it probably got air time on the radio

TV's Frink Wrote:Side note: NIN has never topped PHM.

I don't really know what to consider NIN anymore, but I love Ghosts I-IV. That was more of a Reznor/Ross side project though, like their recent soundtracks.
http://www.slashfilm.com/judd-apatow-redeployment/

If Judd has his way, the runtime will be longer than the time American troops have been in Iraq...
Vinterberg's adaption of Far from the Madding Crowd was a wonderful Sunday treat. I thoroughly enjoyed it and would recommend seeing it in the cinema.

On a separate note, I recently saw a glorious print of Star Trek: The Wrath of Khan. The colors were wonderful, and while the film had quite a cool look, the reds were rich and dark, without the orange look that they had on the Blu-ray. It was a privilege to see it.
Non sum qualis eram.

Captain Khajiit's Basic Guide to Decoding Video and Audio
Captain Khajiit's Quick Guide to Encoding a BD via the Command-line
Captain Khajiit's Basic Guide to Encoding with HCenc

For tech support, PM me (politely) or use the @+username function: I rarely read through threads these days.
I've had the Matrix Trilogy Blu-Ray boxset for a few years but I only got round to listening to the "Critics Commentaries" this week.

Respect to the Wachowski's for including this thing. It was a bold move, as the three critics involved do not hold back on how bad they think the two sequels are. They go into a lot of detail about why they think the dialogue, plot, pacing, editing, characterisation etc got it so wrong. Food for thought for Matrix faneditors and a lot of fun to listen to generally.
I didn't even realise the 'Sharpe' TV series had been remastered for Blu-Ray from the O-negs a few years ago! It looks stunning...

[Image: 4119_3_large.jpg]

[Image: 5897_1_large.jpg]

The great cinematography and fantastic costumes look beter than ever. Somebody hide my wallet :oops:
TM2YC Wrote:I've had the Matrix Trilogy Blu-Ray boxset for a few years but I only got round to listening to the "Critics Commentaries" this week.

Respect to the Wachowski's for including this thing. It was a bold move, as the three critics involved do not hold back on how bad they think the two sequels are. They go into a lot of detail about why they think the dialogue, plot, pacing, editing, characterisation etc got it so wrong. Food for thought for Matrix faneditors and a lot of fun to listen to generally.

They're much more entertaining than the movie itself! :-)
TM2YC Wrote:I didn't even realise the 'Sharpe' TV series had been remastered for Blu-Ray from the O-negs a few years ago! It looks stunning...

Indeed! The reframing was, for the most part, done well. Aside from a tiny amount of ugly-looking upscaled material, the series looks better than ever.
Non sum qualis eram.

Captain Khajiit's Basic Guide to Decoding Video and Audio
Captain Khajiit's Quick Guide to Encoding a BD via the Command-line
Captain Khajiit's Basic Guide to Encoding with HCenc

For tech support, PM me (politely) or use the @+username function: I rarely read through threads these days.
Captain Khajiit Wrote:Indeed! The reframing was, for the most part, done well. Aside from a tiny amount of ugly-looking upscaled material, the series looks better than ever.

Yeah, just watched my old DVD of the first 1993 Sharpe movie (Still fantastic entertainment) and realised, hang on this isn't 16:9? But it isn't oldskool TV 4:3 either, it's much closer to 16:9. I did a screengrab of one of the same shots I posted above...

[Image: 17574179641_bec8314fdc_b.jpg]

Wow Confusedhock:.

Sometimes when you go back to old DVDs, after seeing a new HD version, it's hard to remember the days when I thought DVDs were the sh*t ;-). Although part of the image has been cropped for the Blu-Ray, there is also extra information to the left and right. For example...

[Image: 17574269315_04b49c4b23_o.jpg]

On this evidence I'd be happy to upgrade to the Blu-Ray. I can live with slight crop on the strength of the huge image upgrade. Plus for this shot at least, the composition is better in 16:9 IMHO.