If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot. More details on our policies, especially our Own the Source rule are available here. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.

A few reviews
As Above, So Below - 2014 - 7/10

[Image: As%20Above%202014.jpg]

I’m normally as patient with “found footage” genre fare as I am with “dead teenager” flicks.
Still - - when those with subterranean settings beckon, I often cast aside misgivings.
Young archaeologist and historian/translator join with explorers and descend into Parisian catacombs.
Holy relics for one group, treasure for the other.
Above ground proceedings slow.  Characters irritating, voicing reluctance, then feebly acquiescing.
Once into the depths, though, hold on!
For viewers who have done unguided caving, especially the wet caves, this captures the claustrophobic exhilaration and disorientation.  Narrow, twisting tunnels, watery passages, surprise chambers, and ever-present mud.
Excellent midnight movie.

Layered meanings and symbolism throughout, though frequently convoluted.
I recommend the Sapirstein version, slightly cut and rearranged.
Aftermath (2017)

The new drama with Arnuld after the "zombie drama" Maggie.

[Image: 1332.jpg?w=300&q=55&auto=format&usm=12&f...baebaff247]

A very sad and true story about how two men are dealing with the consequencies of a plane crash.
In one corner you have Shwarzy who never was so good at disappearing behind a role. He IS Roman, not Arnold.
On the other corner you have Scott McNairy who delivers THE performance of the movie.
Then you have Maggie Grace, who does her job... well. Like she usualy does. I never seen an amazing performance from her but I always like her, so I guess it means something.

If you're in the mood for a slow, sad drama where the sun never shines, then it's your movie.
It's thought provoking and well done, alas, it feels so long...
I understand the story is about the progression of the psychology of the characters during a long period of time and there is a slow burn tension built around that, that works well. But when your movie is only 1h34 minutes and yet feels like 2h30 there is a problem somewhere.

The actual 5,9 rating on IMDB feels very harsh to me. I rate this one a solid 7/10 (only if you're in the mood).
"Always in motion is the future"
My instagramMy BLog - All my fanedits at IFDB - Q&A with TMBTM (from 2012) 
(04-11-2017, 04:47 PM)TMBTM Wrote: Aftermath (2017)

A very sad and true story about how two men are dealing with the consequencies of a plane crash.
In one corner you have Shwarzy who never was so good at disappearing behind a role. He IS Roman, not Arnold.
On the other corner you have Scott McNairy who delivers THE performance of the movie.
Then you have Maggie Grace, who does her job... well. Like she usualy does. I never seen an amazing performance from her but I always like her, so I guess it means something.

If you're in the mood for a slow, sad drama where the sun never shines, then it's your movie.
It's thought provoking and well done, alas, it feels so long...
I understand the story is about the progression of the psychology of the characters during a long period of time and there is a slow burn tension built around that, that works well. But when your movie is only 1h34 minutes and yet feels like 2h30 there is a problem somewhere.

The actual 5,9 rating on IMDB feels very harsh to me. I rate this one a solid 7/10 (only if you're in the mood).

sounds quite good. I have been meaning to check out Maggie, but didn't know anything about this new one. I'll have to check them both out.
Last Cab To Darwin - 2015 - 7/10

[Image: Last%20Cab%202015.jpg]

Taxi driver, Rex, listens as his doctor reads his fate.
Cancer.  Three months, tops.  Death in a hospital bed.
Resisting the sterile white room, Rex embarks on a road trip to Darwin and the promise of death with dignity.
Euthanasia.
As in many road trip films, he encounters lost souls along the way.
Forthright, deceptive, and of course, appearance is often illusion.
The journey toward death, this trip is rather inconceivably uplifting.
She-Wolves:  England’s Early Queens - 2012 - 6/10

[Image: She%20Wolves%202012.jpg]

Three episode documentary on six women who attempted to rule Medieval England.
Historian Helen Castor is several cuts above the witless, perky presenters who litter docs.
The material itself is a mix of intriguing and sketchy (as Castor confesses) from lack of records.
Narration, illuminated manuscripts, picturesque ruins.  No talking heads.
Not necessarily compelling, but interesting and entertaining for history buffs.
Shoot To Kill - 1947 - 5/10

[Image: Shoot%20Kill%201947.jpg]

Wife threatens blackmail to her crooked District Attorney husband, who is in thick with three rival gangs, after hurling a fourth leader into the slammer on falsified testimony.  Only then, the jailbird escapes and . . .
Whew!  At 63 minutes, this B-film percolates briskly.
While it has Noir photography, the plot is straight gangster flick.
Wooden acting, decent score, OK twists.
Selected this when I wanted something quick and brief.  Enjoyable time waster.
Berkeley In The Sixties - 1990 - 7/10

[Image: Berkeley%20Sixties%201990.jpg]

Caveat.  Documentary is about Berkeley political protest and unrest.
Not the “Summer Of Love” city, San Francisco.
Released in 1990, aging participants recall the rise and demise of campus activity 25 years earlier.
Genesis was in demonstrations against HUAC, police over-response, escalating confrontations.
Well arranged materials deliver an organized history from campus speakers to People’s Park to Panthers.
Enthusiasm for heady, early days is contagious.
Likewise, regrets and brutal honesty about mistakes that led to the collapse.
25 years seems a good time to look back.  No telling how many of those interviewees are around or have their mental faculties, now 50 years on.
Fortier: S01 - 2001 - 6/10

[Image: Fortier%202001.jpg]

Canadian police procedural follows “elite” unit given dirty cases, primarily sex crimes.
Dr Fortier is the female psychologist assigned to the team.
Solid ensemble show, though Fortier’s quirks are overdone and distracting.
S01 has ten episodes.  Five two-part stories.
OK, but not on par with the best Scandinavian crime shows, though this is a decade earlier.
Note - Set in Quebec, Fortier is a French language production.
Kangaroo Jack (2003)

[Image: b_M1901-_Estella_Warren_Kangaroo_Jack-1_2.jpg]

[Image: b_M1901-_Estella_Warren_Kangaroo_Jack-1_1.jpg]

[Image: b_M1901-_Estella_Warren_Kangaroo_Jack-1_4.jpg]

Stand by Me star and Rebecca Romjin hubby Jerry O'Connell recently spilled the beans on this picture for a brand-new Vice feature called "Only the Worst", in which "actors talk specifically and exclusively about the most notoriously bad film on their resume." Some choice excerpts:

It started as a pretty dark spec script [titled Down and Under] about two shitty mafiosos who have to go to the outback. A lot of cursing, a lot of sex, and it was really funny. [...] So we made the film, they immediately tested it, and it didn't do well. [...] And then, a while later, someone called me up, and said, "I guess they're gonna make this into a kids movie and really heavily animate the kangaroo."

... I remember thinking there were a lot of boobs jokes. I guess we were the Deadpool of kids' movies. I suppose we paved the way for Deadpool, which paved the way for Logan. Oh man, please make sure to indicate that I'm joking there.

Given this history, it's understandable that the movie, which features Christopher Walken and Michael Shannon, is not funny - there's only two or three chuckles to be had. But the Australian photography is beautiful, the cast is game, and, at 85 minutes before credits, it doesn't drag. Is it, on the Nathan Rabin scale, a "Secret Success"? No, but it's no Fiasco, either. Which, by his rules, makes it a failure, and I can't really argue with that. Nor is it disastrous enough to be a delicious train wreck. It's strictly meh.

C+

But, oh...

... that trailer.

I remember that trailer.

I wasted a perfectly good 90 minutes just so I could better appreciate that trailer. It is, friends, perhaps the greatest trailer ever cut:

(Well, I found it amusing in high school, at least.)
Paterson - 2016 - 5/10

[Image: Paterson%202016.png]

Paterson, the bus driver, scribbles poetry on the side.
Snatches of conversation, visual snapshots of images, memories recalled through the lens.
Wife Laura is a free spirit artist, obsessed with black n white visuals and cupcakes.
He seems to have no dreams, her wild ambitions are boundless.
Movie strings out for seven days, with very little happening.
Though to Paterson and Laura, the week is quietly momentous.

Jim Jarmusch film sorely tried my patience.
I don’t particularly care for this director, but I do watch every new release of his.