If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot. More details on our policies, especially our Own the Source rule are available here. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.

A few reviews
A vinyl shop opened in our town 2 years ago. I thought it would fail out of the gate. It's still here, and it's expanded into the neighbouring shop!!
A lot of Millenniels are buying vinyl now.
Not sure why, perhaps a "cool" factor, since it's not like most grew up with wax or gatefolds.
We have one shop in our burg and it strolls along. Other than that, electronic stores and a big box marts carry CDs.
Big book stores, and giant record shops (like where I worked) are all RIP.
Even when I worked at the big store - and we really had a huge shopping space - I still hit a few indie shops.
The owner knew I ran the backroom of the bear, but he also knew I bought Laserdiscs and specific out of print titles.
His tiny shop, Sounds At Last, was similar in size and feel to the doc, Sound It Out.
It was also usually kinda dead, traffic wise, and that can be spirit numbing.
The owner died about two years after we closed and his shop folded. Otherwise, I'd probably still be buying an LP or two each month.

The vinyl I see now is mostly at thrift shops, and it tells a tale of who is dying.
Used to be I'd see Sinatra, Dino, big band stuff, Robert Goulet.
Now I'm seeing Elvis, Jerry Lee Lewis, Little Richard and other 50s artists.
Figure all those folks who bought those artists when they were young are now dropping.
Boomers probably lined up for the Reaper's cut out bin.
Candlestick - 2014 - 5/10

Curious, stagebound mystery.
Seriously, this is like watching an Off-Broadway or fringe London theatrical production.
Normally, I might have foolishly paid $30.00 or £20.00 to sit through this.
Loaded conversation, drinking, and gamesmanship one evening at Jack’s flat.
Action occurs on one set, or, for one scene, outside on the street.
Lines are mannered, direct from drama school.
In homage to the game Clue, the ominous candlestick arrives on the coffee table.
100% of the audience can foretell someone will get a headache sooner or later.

[Image: fmjuhk.png]

Oddities include - three principals wear the same shade of maroon (shirt - dress - tie).
Music, what scant amount there is, copies Bernard Hermann.
Unless Jack spins a record, in which case he plays a 78 (yes, a 78 rpm vinyl!).
Jack’s phones (two of ‘em for one flat) are both landline, rotary dial.  Other characters use cellphones.
Dialogue is neither witty nor clever.
The Joy Of The Single - When Albums Ruled The World - Sound City

[Image: 1357390124_89186c13e0_z.jpg]

Three recent documentaries about music.
First focuses on the single, usually the wax 45.
Mostly white geezers and burnouts warbling their memories, displaying collections and jukeboxes.
Gradually 7 inchers lost influence as LPs gained prominence.
Second doc is about albums, specifically concept albums.
Dylan, Pepper, Yes, Floyd - you know the terrain.

Third doc covers Sound City Studio, famed recording venue of the 70s and 90s.
Analogue studio. Gone now, replaced by digital, Pro Tools, etc ...

[Image: P3160008.jpg]

All docs were enjoyable.
Third one wandered near the end, slipping from the heyday of the 70s to Dave Grohl's attempt to recreate the era.
Deadpool - 2016 - 8/10

This is the movie I've been waiting for since I was 16 (almost two decades). Humor trends juvenile but in a great way. Best thing I can say is that if you don't appreciate creative cursing (e.g. shit-spackled muppet fart) then this isn't for you. If you do, then this is for you very much. I've been really surprised to hear how many of my friends are excited for this. I suppose those not interested in comic book movies are curious to see a fucked up R-Rated one.

Ryan Reynolds was born for this role. This is the one I can point to when people judge for liking comic books because they think it's all good vs evil palatable mush. This is not that. I suppose since most haven't read the comics it's worth noting that if you don't like breaking the fourth wall and meta jokes, you'll hate this. For me, brought a great comic to life practically straight off the page.

Can't wait for the sequel. Also, perhaps the most accurate opening credits EVER.
thecuddlyninja Wrote:Deadpool - 2016 - 8/10

Sorry but you aren't allowed to rate anything above 7/10 in this thread, even if you enjoyed it.
Vultural Wrote:A lot of Millenniels are buying vinyl now.
Not sure why, perhaps a "cool" factor, since it's not like most grew up with wax or gatefolds.
We have one shop in our burg and it strolls along. Other than that, electronic stores and a big box marts carry CDs.
Big book stores, and giant record shops (like where I worked) are all RIP.
Even when I worked at the big store - and we really had a huge shopping space - I still hit a few indie shops.
The owner knew I ran the backroom of the bear, but he also knew I bought Laserdiscs and specific out of print titles.
His tiny shop, Sounds At Last, was similar in size and feel to the doc, Sound It Out.
It was also usually kinda dead, traffic wise, and that can be spirit numbing.
The owner died about two years after we closed and his shop folded. Otherwise, I'd probably still be buying an LP or two each month.

The vinyl I see now is mostly at thrift shops, and it tells a tale of who is dying.
Used to be I'd see Sinatra, Dino, big band stuff, Robert Goulet.
Now I'm seeing Elvis, Jerry Lee Lewis, Little Richard and other 50s artists.
Figure all those folks who bought those artists when they were young are now dropping.
Boomers probably lined up for the Reaper's cut out bin.

There certainly is a millennial and hipster factor to the small but significant increase in vinyl sales (especially with all those stupid color variants), but it isn't just that. I think it depends on where you live. In my city, I have 5 independent record stores within 2 miles from my house, and a few others sprinkled around the city. The music scene is lively here. I collect records, but I also grew up with vinyl. There was a period in the early 2000s when I only bought CDs because I was traveling so much, but I pretty much exclusively buy music on vinyl now. I really hate digital-only releases, and only purchase digitally when there is a release I really want but has no physical format. There is something important, in my opinion, to physically interacting with the music.
I think the vinyl resurgence is down to the fact that people who are serious about music, will always want a nice tactile physical format for the home, yet will always want the convenience of a portable format when out and about. CDs don't satisy either of those two factors very well. Vinyl and a quick download do. Plus a lot of people probably now listen via MP3 while looking at and reading the sleeves of the vinyl format.
TM2YC Wrote:I think the vinyl resurgence is down to the fact that people who are serious about music, will always want a nice tactile physical format for the home, yet will always want the convenience of a portable format when out and about. CDs don't satisy either of those two factors very well. Vinyl and a quick download do. Plus a lot of people probably now listen via MP3 while looking at and reading the sleeves of the vinyl format.

^ a lot of this. Most new vinyl releases come with download codes for MP3/FLAC. This gives music loves the ability to enjoy the full format, analog goodness of vinyl at home, and the convenience of MP3 on the go.
thecuddlyninja Wrote:Deadpool - 2016 - 8/10

This is the movie I've been waiting for since I was 16 (almost two decades). Humor trends juvenile but in a great way. Best thing I can say is that if you don't appreciate creative cursing (e.g. shit-spackled muppet fart) then this isn't for you. If you do, then this is for you very much. I've been really surprised to hear how many of my friends are excited for this. I suppose those not interested in comic book movies are curious to see a fucked up R-Rated one...

Thank you for commenting on that.
I have a friend who had sent me clips and trailers.
He has teenage sons, however, and their youthful exuberance often affects him.
I'll tuck the title away and wait for it.