If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot. More details on our policies, especially our Own the Source rule are available here. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.

A few reviews
ThrowgnCpr Wrote:I rather enjoyed this film (Kurt Cobain doc - V). I think the doodles were a great addition, and it sometimes felt like a look at his journals.

This has high scores on IMDB, but mixed reviews.
I think hardcore fans will enjoy his journals and family movies.
One gets the feeling interviewees are on first date behaviour throughout.
Not seeing Grohl and Vig made me wonder if they were not approached or if they declined.
The doc left a foul taste in my mouth.

I remember when the label rep posted "Nevermind" posters in our store one Friday evening.
We played the promo that night and it was cool as hell.
Over the next months, we watched as the college alt crowd flocked to it - then high school kids - finally ten year olds.
Put us rock snobs with exclusive tastes into a quandary.
Suddenly our non-conformist bent was embraced by the mainstream.
Vultural Wrote:Not seeing Grohl and Vig made me wonder if they were not approached or if they declined.

Grohl has not been involved in any of these Nirvana/Kurt docs really. I think he is trying to distance himself from re-opening wounds and appearing to cash in on the tragedy. I can't blame him.

Vultural Wrote:I remember when the label rep posted "Nevermind" posters in our store one Friday evening.
We played the promo that night and it was cool as hell.
Over the next months, we watched as the college alt crowd flocked to it - then high school kids - finally ten year olds.
Put us rock snobs with exclusive tastes into a quandary.
Suddenly our non-conformist bent was embraced by the mainstream.

This is unfortunate, but it's not at all uncommon. How many political candidates misrepresent songs by blasting them at rallies? The intention of the art is often lost on the masses.

Have you seen Soaked in Bleach? I am guessing it suffers from some of the same limitations, but I've not yet had a chance to watch.
Grohl was interviewed, but it happened a few weeks after they'd pretty much locked picture. I read an interview with the director about it.
. . . Suddenly our non-conformist bent was embraced by the mainstream . . .

ThrowgnCpr Wrote:This is unfortunate, but it's not at all uncommon. How many political candidates misrepresent songs by blasting them at rallies? The intention of the art is often lost on the masses...

BBC aired a 3 part documentary -
Born to Be Wild: The Golden Age of American Rock
In one memorable sequence, Chuck D (Public Enemy) comments on how politicians had embraced Springsteen's "Born In The USA" without fully understanding the anti-war, anti-establishment message of the song.

Too many politicians co-opt songs, generally without permission.
I could post examples, but then we would be drifting toward politics which this forum - thankfully - does not indulge in.
I suppose rally attendees hear a favorite song, so by extension they decide to slightly "like" a speaker.
Probably works, too.
We are colossally stupid.

Exceptional types excepted - of course.
Vultural Wrote:BBob, did you truly like the remake?

Me? I thought it was just average at the time. But obviously it left no lasting impression on me as I remember almost nothing about the actual plot, only all the hype the show had and being excited to watch it as I was big fan of Scott Bakula back then.

An alien invasion show I did used to love was WAR OF THE WORLDS....

It was so incredibly bad in all the right ways... lol. Total low budget, old B-movie, ridiculous adventure show.
"... let's go exploring!" -- CALVIN.
French Quarter - 1978 - 5/10

[Image: 5l3ofc.jpg]

Exploitation sleaze succumbs to artistic overreach.
Young girl, after burying pa, leaves the bayou and catches first bus to New Orleans.
Being blonde, shapely, and wearing a granny dress that is see-through against the light, the only job position she is able to find is stripper in a cheap club.
This part held my interest, though that girl as dancer is godawful.
Nice outdoor photography of late 70s New Orleans.
All too soon, she wants out and goes to an apothecary shop, where she is promptly drugged for sex traffickers.
Then - outta nowhere - she wakes up in a sporting house in 1910, Storyville district.
Her role is the same, though, to be auctioned off as a genuine virgin.

[Image: 54wzk0.jpg]

Abundant nudity in the brothel, voodoo dancers out in the woods, and a busy snake add some interest.
Nevertheless, the plot crawls into love territory and the narrative stumbles like a weekend drunk.
Piano player in the bordello is Jelly Roll Morton. The small boy playing the cornet, Satchmo Armstrong.
Oh yeah, the 1910 scenes are all fuzzy around the corners. Artsy.
Anyway, the vintage period goes on and on and on, numbing the sleaziness of the 1970s.
I got the impression they were striving for Pretty Baby.
Cast includes Bruce Davison and Virginia Mayo, with music by Dick Hyman.
Gaikôkan Kuroda Kôsaku - 2011 - 7/10
AKA - Diplomat Kuroda Kosaku /  外交官・黒田康作

[Image: 2eluoih.png]

Well done spy thriller / sequel to Amalfi: Rewards of the Goddess.
Ten episode drama follows diplomat (ha!) as he attempts to solve a series of increasingly high profile murders.
The police are involved, as is the Foreign Department, finally whatever they call National Security.
He enlists an unappreciated police detective, and also a few unlikely allies (including a couple of cameos from Byung-hun Lee).
Kuroda is mostly a  one man show, however.
Cooperation and sharing details are not strong points, viewers have to work out mysteries on their own.
That will be fine for some, too difficult for others.
Closing credits of chess play symbolize the moves, counter-moves and calculated alliances.
The final two episodes forget the basic film rule of “Show, don’t tell” and are extremely talky and explanatory.
Excellent adult drama, nevertheless.
I’ll See You In My Dreams - 2015 - 7/10

[Image: 30jr8l5.jpg]

Unexpected romance at the retirement home.
Woman visiting her girlfriends is persuaded to participate in the next speed-date mingler.
Males are over-earnest, sad-sacks, overdosed on erectile meds, or simply lonely.
Female friends urge her to move into the senior center, share the good times!
The woman (Blythe Danner) has her own home, dog, pool guy, daughter who visits occasionally, and freedom.
Then the handsome stranger from Texas arrives.  Sam Elliott.
Narrative is absorbing because the plot veers in unexpected directions frequently.
Just when you conclude, “This is going to --” the story hard turns.
Same thing with characters.  Just when you feel reassured - or worried - Fate skips across the surface.
These are all people with miles of time behind them, precious little road ahead.
You hope for the best, but
Like Crazy - 2011 - 6/10

[Image: like-crazy-trailer.jpg]

British exchange student falls in love with Los Angeles based student.
During courtship, both revealed they were parents only child.
She over-stayed her visa and was not allowed to return.
They try to maintain their relationship, then try to meet others, try to forget, try to hold on.
Bittersweet romance grinds into the real world.
Both characters flawed but likable, which make their failures more poignant.
Southbound - 2015 - 6/10

[Image: 20kdco8.jpg]

Horror anthology dosed with the surreal.
Opening sequence is strongest and sets the tone.
Two men, covered in blood, roar down desert highway.
They are caught in a time loop, similar to Triangle (2009), which permits “things” on horizon to catch them.
That sequence hands off to the next, three female musicians (young and leggy) who get a flat tire.
As if by chance, a car conveniently arrives and offers a lift.
Obviously, those females don’t know a basic horror rule:  DO NOT CLIMB INTO STRANGERS’ CARS.
Story hand-off transitions are OK, but resolutions for each tale are weak or absent.
This is a “keyhole” view of transient types and misdeeds in southwestern badlands.
Expect no explanations and you might enjoy better.