If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot. More details on our policies, especially our Own the Source rule are available here. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.

A few reviews
Charlie Is My Darling - 1965 - 6/10

[Image: 2emo3rl.jpg]

Recently discovered, never shown documentary on early Stones.
Often blurry, rapid pans, pixelated images.
Worthwhile to see a very young band still playing halls and clubs.
Less than an hour long. Great for fans.
Mick and Keith before they became the Toxic Twins.
Dream House - 2011 - 4/10

[Image: f3ci8n.jpg]

Another film about a writer. They must lead exciting lives ...

Daniel Craig quits job to write and move to small town with wife Rachel Weisz and two daughters.
Happy laughter one moment, followed by outdoor peepers, prowlers, teens breaking in, and learning their home was the site of a gruesome mass murder.
Like couples everywhere, they decide to stay put.
Plot twists over itself multiple times. Appears rewrites mangled a good premise, leaving this wretched mess.
Wife played by Rachel Weisz (Craig’s real life squeeze) while Naomi Watts plays divorced neighbor.
Something Real And Good - 2013 - 3/10

[Image: r73wau.jpg]

Two sadsack types "meet cute" in an airport terminal. Their destination airport, Chicago, is snowed in, and they are diverted to Denver. The blizzard prone, mile high city had rain soaked streets and flowing fountains. Mmmm ... SoCal ...
Very much an indie flick, that felt like a small, two act (two actor) play. Leads are mismatched, and pout and mug throughout.
There were no reviews whatsoever for this one when I saw, so I took a chance.
Avoid unless you are an investor or relative.
Lifeforce - 1985 - 6/10

Finally configured the old Laserdisc player to the HD and dug out a fave masterpiece.
Combined US / UK space mission to Halley’s Comet discovers 100 mile artifact (gasp - spaceship) embedded in comet. Of course, they investigate, come across three nude human looking types, and bring ‘em back.

[Image: x3fco.jpg]

In no time flat, the stark naked space vampiress (Mathilda May, all nude, all the time) wrecks havoc in London, transforming the city into a rampaging zombies, end of the world apocalypse.
This film is tremendously, gloriously bad. The plot goes from far fetched to silly to stupid to delirium. No one could create a narrative this terrible if they tried. And one gets the impression everyone involved really, really tried to make a A-level movie.
Steve Railsback overacts his little hammy heart out. Patrick Stewart channels his feminine side.
Mathilda May completely unforgettable.
Wonderful stuff. If only all my LDs were on this level.
Hard Target - Ultimate Cut - 1993/2013 - 6/10

[Image: 2ez4fm8.jpg]

Nice fan tweak from Commodore Schmidlapp over at Original Trilogy.
He used sources from domestic US release, as well as the harder international cut, and the VHS “Sneak Peek” workprint. Made a couple of music changes as well.
The result seemed much closer to Woo’s final stage of Hong Kong output.

Plot involves an out of work veteran / seaman / drifter hiring on to help young girl find her lost daddy in New Orleans. Then it steams into Most Dangerous Game territory.
Several scenes seemed little more than echoes from Hard Boiled.
One of Van Damme’s better roles, with Lance Henriksen and Arnold Vosloo outstanding as baddies. Wilford Brimley as cajun uncle is a classic of imbecile acting.

The edit was top rate. Smooth, nothing jarring. I pulled out my Laserdisc and double checked a couple of scenes and music cues. Really nice job.
Now You See Me - 2013 - 6/10

[Image: 241njp4.jpg]

Mindless Saturday night diversion. Four mid-tier magicians are gathered together to become major headliners as the Four Horsemen. Part of their act involves robbery.
Very slick production with perpetual camera movement, rapid effects, as well as the various capers. Plot sweeps swiftly, with barely a letup or quiet moment. In other words, one doesn’t really think about particulars until the credits.
Then it’s like, “Hey, wait a minute ... ”
Fun, but despite a stellar cast *, doubt I would ever rewatch this empty popcorn flick.

* Michael Caine, Morgan Freeman, Woody Harrelson, Jesse Eisenberg, Mark Ruffalo
Joseon X-Files - 2010 - 7/10

[Image: whbbmf.jpg]

Young official is hired by Imperial house to investigate unexplained phenomena.
He gets a superstitious strong man cop for muscle, and teams with a scientific, medical female.
Their boss is a chain smoking type (pipe) who always knows much more than they do.
Sound familiar? Except this riff on the X-Files is set in 17th century Joseon (Korea).
Twelve episodes that include extra-terrestrials, alternate realities, witchcraft, political cults, and a couple head scratchers.
Definitely worth tracking down if you are a jonesin' for Mulder and Scully fare.
Vultural Wrote:Joseon X-Files - 2010 - 7/10

Young official is hired by Imperial house to investigate unexplained phenomena.
He gets a superstitious strong man cop for muscle, and teams with a scientific, medical female.
Their boss is a chain smoking type (pipe) who always knows much more than they do.
Sound familiar? Except this riff on the X-Files is set in 17th century Joseon (Korea).
Twelve episodes that include extra-terrestrials, alternate realities, witchcraft, political cults, and a couple head scratchers.
Definitely worth tracking down if you are a jonesin' for Mulder and Scully fare.

interesting. I'll have to check this one out.
Joseon should not be too difficult to locate.
Subtitles might be problematic, though. There is a subculture of fan subtitling.
Almost all are srt files.
Completely unrelated - I respond to PMs.

[Image: js0o3k.jpg]
This is from Dramafever, a legit site devoted to Asian dramas.
They offer free and premium levels (720p - 1080p).
You do suffer commercials (free level) but episodes are subtitled in yellow.

[URL="http://www.dramafever.com/drama/3908/1/Secret_Investigation_Record/"]http://www.dramafever.com/drama/3908/1/Secret_Investigation_Record/
[/URL]