• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

how much is too much?

How much is too much?

• Bring it on! I'd watch the 4 hr Epic and the 6 hr Bonus disk!

Votes: 2 28.6%
  • Regular lenght for me. 2 hrs max.

Votes: 4 57.1%
  • Less is More. 1 hr of tight fun!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I like the 1 minute movies! tee-hee!

Votes: 1 14.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll votes is visible for users with special permission.

Remixed by Jorge

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
This was a Rogue Thought: how much is too much?
Inspired by blankfist work on SPIDERMAN 1+2+3 as an 4 hour epic.
I didn't want to taint his nice thread to what may be perceived as negative vibes so i started this one.

A 4 hour movie. Is this a good idea? can people actually sit down and watch non-stop for 4 hours?
If you say that you'd stop and watch it in 2 sittings then your answer is NO.

The intention is to watch it in one sitting otherwise why bother making it into 1 movie?
The length alone makes repeated viewing a chore rather than a pleasure.

Yes I have sat down in front of the tv and watched 4 hours... but not of the same thing.

I'd love to hear from those hardy souls that actually manage to do it. 4 hours non-stop.

The longest film I sat at the theater for was LAWRENCE OF ARABIA and even thou I thought i loved that movie, after a while it was torture.
My longest fanedit was KILL BILL X clocking at 150 minutes for both movies. Luckily it was my first fanedit and I could tolerate the screenings.
blankfist should win an award for just test screening this baby.

Anybody watched RISE OF THE EMPIRE non-stop? Another 4 hour fanedit.
that one just came and went without much of a Star Wars ripple, which I thought it should have got out of sheer audacity.
Was it too much of a good thing? what are its rapidshare download #? how about torrents?

And there are those intrepid souls that want to turn tv shows into movies (like boon's PRISON BREAK) from a source that expands minimum 12 hours per season, what length to strive for?

Again, this question goes beyond blankfist's SPIDERMAN or lewis RISE OF THE EMPIRE. It's not a critique of the fanedit, more of feedback on length and its potential effect on a fanedit's success.
I know there will always be intrepid faneditors wanting to create their epics, but knowing the time and effort that goes into making one of these, they should also know of the pitfalls if any.
Such as nobody cares.

Ghostcut

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I watched Lawrence of Arabia in one sitting on a commercial TV channel, which was around 5-6 hours including adbreaks.

My answer is YES.

sladetwc

Reaction score
Trophy Points
As soon as I get some DL discs, I'll be getting Rise of the Empire and blankfist's Spider-Man epic.

I'm absolutely down for watching a four hour movie. Hell, I've watched all three of the OT movies, back to back, twice before when I was sick. :)

Anything is possible. And if it's a damn good presentation? It's worth it.

blankfist

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I saw that RISE OF THE EMPIRE was listed on this site - interested to see what he did differently than me. I tried to recut the SW prequels as well a while back, and my edit was called FALL OF THE REPUBLIC. My cut came in just under 3 hours, and I really butchered the hell out of the first movie (got it down to 20 minutes) to make it work the best I could. I cannot imagine a way to properly make the standing SW prequel storylines work without butchering the hell out of them OR trying to cut a five hour prequel cut. The storylines are just sooooo dense (and not in a good way), it's damn near impossible to cut down without diminishing the integrity of the overly thick plot.

Spider-Man is a different thing altogether. I just watched my recut of it the other day with my girlfriend. Yeah, how cool is that? We sat through the whole thing, and she enjoyed it. Or at least she said she did, which was probably ripe with a handful of bias because she is my girlfriend after all. These movies, in my opinion, work well as a combined entity. The stories flow into each other and overlap which changes it from the original releases, so even if you paused the movie and watched the second half the following day, it would still be a different experience than watching all three original DVD releases.

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I find the concept fascinating, but honestly, I have no time in my life right now to dedicate myself to the television for 4 hours straight. I have often wanted to get together with friends and make a party out of watching LOTR or Star Wars all day, but 1 movie that is 4 hours, I can honestly say probably not. I think it is hard to make a really good story with a strong climax and a great ending at a length of 4 hours. 3 hours is pushing it IMHO. I have watched both blankfist's and lewis886's Star Wars epic prequels, and I had to break those up into multiple viewings. nothing against the edits or the editors (I thought they were both very good edits, and interesting). ....its just too much TV for me

nOmArch

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
good question kbm, for me a three hour + movie in the cinema is perfectly acceptable but at home i just dont have the patience plus the only time i have for watching em is before i go to bed so anything more than a couple of hours eats into my sleeping time :(

Remixed by Jorge

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
how many 3 hour + movies do we know of? I mean originally released in the theaters as such. hell even LORD OF THE RING 1, 2 or 3 never came close to that in the theater.

Hell, I've watched all three of the OT movies, back to back, twice before when I was sick.
But doesn't this negate your point when you had to be sick to actually do this?

I forgotten FALL OF THE REPUBLIC. how was your experience with that one? do you know what were the numbers of downloads as rapidshare and as torrents?

Could there also be an age bias? were a mature audience doesn't have the disposable time than a younger and more carefree (read idle) audience might enjoy?

Philfrog

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
If your movie is a Lord of the Rings type epic, that's great. But when did every damn movie have to become two-plus hours long? Not necessary. 90 should be a norm for a standard sci-fi, action, or (especially) superhero film, no matter how great it thinks it is.

boon23

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
the download numbers for Fall Of The Republic are great. 1000+ downloads (for torrent and rapidshare).

nOmArch

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
killbillme said:
how many 3 hour + movies do we know of? I mean originally released in the theaters as such. hell even LORD OF THE RING 1, 2 or 3 never came close to that in the theater.

the LOTR movies certainly felt like they were three hours plus in the cinema (but in a good way :) )

i see your point though, other than the costner attempts and pearl harbour i cant think of many recent movies that get close.

joebshmoe

Reaction score
Trophy Points
i will watch a movie however long it is as long as it is good.

i have done a LOTR marathon

i have done (many times) an OT SW marathon

it has much less to do with length/time and more to do with interest.

blankfist

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Wow, a 1000+ downloads. That's ridiculous. I never meant to post that recut anywhere. I just did it for myself. Though, someone talked me into posting it on myspleen, and that's where Boon found me, and since I've been a member of this forum. I got the idea from one of my college buddies that recut the Phantom Menace back in 2001 or 2002. I thought that was a clever idea, and his recut was much better IMO than the theatrical release. I had no idea there was such an underground fanedit movement until Boon found me on myspleen.

tranzor

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
the last feature I know that came close to a 3 hour running time was the grindhouse double feature, but even that had a 10 min intermission between films

.Wasn't Jackson's King kong close to 3 hours?

for the posts sake, I have no issues with watching a straight through 4 plus hour film if it is good and can hold your attention. In some cases (such as the extended lotr's dvds) the time zips right by. It is all in how the feature is presented and pulled off.

The longest film single film I sat through was my Apocalypse now workprint which was 5 hours. I then extended the ending (film ending and Kurtz compound destruction) and finished the film which resulted in it running 5hrs and 30 something minutes

Remixed by Jorge

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
thanks for the numbers boon. too bad you didnt comment on the thread.
1000 dl sounds mighty fine to me. how does it compare to RISE OF THE EMPIRE? how about STAR WARS: REVISITED? what is the most dl fanedit?
Jeesh! I really miss those numbers you use to collect for us.
And how did THE LECTER VARIATIONS turn out? was it another CBB hit?

lewis886

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
well... for some reason the torrent for Rise of the Empire has disappeared from mininova.... last time i saw it it was approaching 3000. the piratebay doesn't list totals from what i can tell... but i've never seen it without 10-20 leechers at any given point.... it was at a few hundred downloads on demonoid before it went down :(..... don't know about rapidshare... you'd have to get boon to let you know on that one.

i definitely watch 3-4 hour movies... no problem :) i've definitely watched the seven samurai all the way thru, all the LOTR EE editions... kingdom of heaven extended.... dances with wolves (even the extended version, which is 4 hours).... i've never had a problem with long films.... as long as they hold my interest....

Remixed by Jorge

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
3000 torrents! thats even better than FALL OF THE REPUBLIC.
I don't think SEVEN SAMURAI is 4 hours long.

DANCES WITH WOLVES & KINGDOM OF HEAVEN are great examples. other than the original viewing of those films, I stop myself from rewatching because they're so damn long.

LOTR EE I don't think clock at 4 hours each.

Yes, sure we can sit down to a 4 hour epic movie but repeatedly? how much does the long length limits us from repeated viewing?

lewis886

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
well.... return of the king was 3 hours 21 minutes in the theater...and 4 hours 11 minutes in the EE.... Two towers was 2 hours 59 min in the theater and 3 hours and 43 min in the EE... and fellowship was 2 hours 58 min in the theater and 3 hours 28 min in the EE. the seven samurai is 3 hours 27 min. the ten commandments is 3 hours 39 min. dr. zhivago 3 hours 17 min. plenty of stuff that i personally watch in one setting that are in the 3 to 4 hour range. :) i love em. i have no idea how many times i've watched the theatrical cut of dances with wolves all the way thru... but it's a bunch...

boon23

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
killbillme said:
thanks for the numbers boon. too bad you didnt comment on the thread.
1000 dl sounds mighty fine to me. how does it compare to RISE OF THE EMPIRE? how about STAR WARS: REVISITED? what is the most dl fanedit?
Jeesh! I really miss those numbers you use to collect for us.
And how did THE LECTER VARIATIONS turn out? was it another CBB hit?
Well, I like long movies, if they are good. I love my Dances with wolves 4h cut, I love the EE of Kingdom of Heaven and I will sit though anything that keeps my interest. When we discovered LOST, my wife and I sat through 17 episodes in 2 days.
yes, Rise Of The Empire was a pretty successful fanedit.
I cannot say what the most downlaoded fanedit on my RS account is, because the numbers go crazy sometimes, when people try to connect over and over again. From the last time I remember that one of ADM's SW fanedits was the most downloaded with about 400 completed, followed by Matrix Dezionized.
Nah, Lecter Variations was no big hit and I did not expect it to be one. The avi release was doing ok and has downloads in the 50s, which is good for this movie. I will release the DVD as soon as I have the bonus features completed.

Remixed by Jorge

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
the 10 commandments? dr zhivago? seriously? you pulled those out one night and sat and watched those films in their entirety for 4 hours? on purpose?
Sorry, I am not trying to be a jerk. I'm just incredulous because those 2 don't strike me as movies I would rewatch again for 4 hours straight.
but thats just me.

Remixed by Jorge

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
well you're up late boon, or early. so what about STAR WARS REVISITED?

Top Bottom