• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Workprint length.

Type12point

Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
As a rookie who's halfway through his first edit, I've been looing through all the how-to's I can find--including ADigitalMan's here at FE.Org--and I have a question I haven't seen an answer to (or perhaps I'm missing the obvious; I apologize if so). Are most fan editors editing the entire movie in one go/timeline?

(I've posted a similar question in the Mac OS Software Exchange thread, since I'm using Final Cut, but I think this is cross-platform and worthy of its own thread.)

So, are folks generating "chunks" of movies (10 min at a go, 30, whatever) and then stitching them together as MPEGS or VOBs or what have you, or do most of you edit straight through and then render/burn? I have a good machine, but I don't want to go through another week and a half or work only to have glitches and crashes as the length of the edit grows.

I am editing the entire movie in one go, no matter how many sources I use.
But for my prison break project, I am going a different route, inspired by Peter Jackson's takes on LOTR. I am creating one basic draft, which will be way to long and then cut on from there, until I have reached my final length and version. This coudl be a 3 to 4 step editing process.

I also edit in one go. Currently for the X-Files project I am working on, I have added 3 episodes chronologically on the editing timeline and cut and move from there.

I edit it all in one go. For the branching DVD project, though, I break all the pieces up. I started with one piece, then when the split is supposed to happen, I end that timeline and start two new ones to indicate the branching paths. Then start a third one where the two paths meet again.

Well, that's a pretty strong concensus for a start, although I wont be trying any branching work any time soon. :)

I guess I'll put my worries on hold and deal with any major issues when they happen!

All in one go. Usually as long as you're careful, you shouldn't have too much trouble.

depends on what I am doing. In some cases I have used both methods. Depends on what your editing and what app you are using to do the job

Back
Top Bottom