• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Nirvana Turns 21

ssj

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
nirvana the band didn't turn 21. i was playing them on my radio show 23 years ago.

the album Nevermind is what turned 21. old enough to drink!

Adabisi

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The same amount of time has passed between the release of Nevermind and now as the time between the release of Black Sabbath's Paranoid and Nevermind.

I don't know why that blows my mind, but it does.

g1orkatsos

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
ssj said:
nirvana the band didn't turn 21. i was playing them on my radio show 23 years ago.

the album Nevermind is what turned 21. old enough to drink!
If it went to some other countries though like Australia, UK or here in Cyprus it could have been drinking for a few years now :p

Q2

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Adabisi said:
The same amount of time has passed between the release of Nevermind and now as the time between the release of Black Sabbath's Paranoid and Nevermind.

I don't know why that blows my mind, but it does.

Not to hijack the thread, but a version of Paranoid I absolutely love is by Type O Negative. I think it captures the vibe of the lyrics better than Black Sabbath's version. Judge for yourself...

"[/video]

jswert123456

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Pantera's version of Planet Caravan is good
also Flaming Lips/Cat Power did War Pigs on austin city limits.

Adabisi

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Q2 said:
Not to hijack the thread, but a version of Paranoid I absolutely love is by Type O Negative. I think it captures the vibe of the lyrics better than Black Sabbath's version. Judge for yourself...

It's funny because Geezer Butler fully admits that he didn't really know what "paranoid" meant when he wrote the song. He just got lucky that the lyrics kinda fit the title.

TON does some great covers. I've always loved their cover of Black Sabbath:

And their cover of Cinnamon Girl:

ssj

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
very cool version of cinnamon girl. :)

ssj

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
g1orkatsos said:
If it went to some other countries though like Australia, UK or here in Cyprus it could have been drinking for a few years now :p

if the album were in cyprus, it'd be drinking ouzo left and right. :cool:

g1orkatsos

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
ssj said:
if the album were in cyprus, it'd be drinking ouzo left and right. :cool:
Ouzo is both associated with Greece and Cyprus. If you wanna go more hardcore and want a traditional Cyprus only drink, try zivania. :p

TMBTM

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I actualy saw Nirvana in one of their very last shows in 1994.
Kurt was almost static the whole show.
The other members tried like hell to deliver a good performance but Kurt was simply not really there,
even if he sang and played ok.
Can't believe it was almost 18 years ago.

ssj

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
yeah, i remember meeting kurt once after a show, back in '89. dude was lifeless. maybe he was just having a bad night (though the show was rockin'), maybe he was tired, but his behavior did seem to fit the depressive profile. none of that famous pacific northwest friendliness.

hung out with nirvana's bassist before another show. that dude was friendly.

nOmArch

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
ssj said:
yeah, i remember meeting kurt once after a show, back in '89. dude was lifeless. maybe he was just having a bad night (though the show was rockin'), maybe he was tired, but his behavior did seem to fit the depressive profile.
More likely he was on smack.

ssj

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
very possible.

JetSetWilly

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I don't go alot on Nirvana, I'm afraid. There's only one maybe two songs I like (Heart Shaped Box and Smells Like Teen Spirit), but apart from that, I just think they were, and still are, overrated.

Frantic Canadian

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
JetSetWilly said:
I don't go alot on Nirvana, I'm afraid. There's only one maybe two songs I like (Heart Shaped Box and Smells Like Teen Spirit), but apart from that, I just think they were, and still are, overrated.

I've never cared for Nirvana either. Always hated the whole Grunge genre.

JetSetWilly

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Frantic Canadian said:
I've never cared for Nirvana either. Always hated the whole Grunge genre.

Me neither. I'm more a sort of KISS, Warrant, Bryan Adams kind of man. I just don't seem to get the Nirvana love. The album Nevermind is widely regarded as a landmark album. To me, I don't think it is. It's a cd full of meh.

Frantic Canadian

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
JetSetWilly said:
Me neither. I'm more a sort of KISS, Warrant, Bryan Adams kind of man. I just don't seem to get the Nirvana love. The album Nevermind is widely regarded as a landmark album. To me, I don't think it is. It's a cd full of meh.

I've always been more of a hard rock, classic rock, and heavy metal guy.

JetSetWilly

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Frantic Canadian said:
I've always been more of a hard rock, classic rock, and heavy metal guy.

A man after my own heart. I'd take Meat Loaf, Motley Crue and Iron Maiden (gotta aupport the Essex lads!!!) any day to Nirvana. But, is it me, or do nearly all their tracks sound depressing?

Top Bottom