• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Star Wars Episode VII - The Force Awakens (NON-SPOILER)

Problem is:
if they just bring back a new Sith Vilain would feel like the random Sith of the week and if they bring back Vader in the suit, then it would seems like they run of out ideas too.

Well, every Die Hard movie is going to involve John McClane battling a terrorist, and every Indiana Jones movie involves rescuing an ancient artifact. That’s not running out of ideas; that’s just the type of stories that those movies tell.

The new baddie doesn’t have to be a Sith, but someone will have to use the dark side of the Force, or otherwise Luke and the other Jedi will be fighting against battle droids and Stormtroopers. As we’ve seen, those enemies are no match for them, so it’s not very exciting.

One thing that I think would help would be to introduce the idea that, while the Sith are gone forever, there can still be dark Force users that aren’t necessarily of the Sith order. That opens the story up to avoid rehashing the Sith, and then we can forget about that stupid “Rule of Two.”

I would like to see the new trilogy address the hypocrisy of the jedi. I know a lot of people wouldn't like this because it would involve acknowledging the PT, but I think it would be interesting for the whole story to be about Luke trying to create a better jedi order.

YES. This is what I was trying to say in the “Disney puts you in charge” thread. I would much rather that the Jedi hadn’t been portrayed as arrogant jerks in the prequels, but now that it’s been established, let’s play the ball where it lay. (Lays? Lies?) There can be a lot of dramatic weight to the idea that Luke has to avoid creating a Jedi Order that’s as corrupt as the previous Order.

hm.... as long as they don't make a four year teaser campaign for a jedi teamup movie...

Sooooo, we don’t want a bunch of satisfying movies that lead up to one really awesome movie, Avengers-style? :p I’m confused. How is Avengers in any way a cautionary tale? I wish more film series were like that!

What if it is a C3P0 & R2D2 and a Fett movie followed by Star Wars 7, then a Chewie & Han movie

I could very much see a bunch of spin-off movies. However, I’m inclined to think that they’ll happen after the Sequel Trilogy, not during it.

I am inclined to believe Disney when they said this sale is about Star Wars only. They want brand recognition

When Disney made the comments about the sale being mostly about Star Wars, it was in reference to questions about Indiana Jones. I don’t think they were saying that Lucasfilm would suddenly be only making Star Wars films ever.

Yes, brand recognition is nice, but by that logic, shouldn’t Disney be releasing 2 to 3 Pirates movies every year, since Pirates is such a lucrative franchise for them? But they don’t, because 1) oversaturation is a bad thing, financially speaking; and 2) Pirates movies are very expensive. Disney still releases films like The Odd Life of Timothy Green because, while Green isn’t going to make the kind of money that a Pirates movie would make, it’s also significantly less expensive, and is more likely to earn back its small investment. (I don’t know how Timothy Green itself actually did, comparatively, but you get the idea.)

I would love to see movies based on Grim Fandango, Full Throttle, Sam & Max, and even a proper reboot of Maniac Mansion. I can understand if Disney doesn’t want that, though. Maybe George has other ideas that have remained buried for now. Maybe Kathleen Kennedy just means that, as the head of this company, she’s going to seek out new things to produce all the time, just like she did at Amblin Entertainment and the Kennedy-Marshall Company. (In fact, now that I’ve written that, this seems like the most likely direction.)

TomH1138 said:
Well, every Die Hard movie is going to involve John McClane battling a terrorist, and every Indiana Jones movie involves rescuing an ancient artifact. That’s not running out of ideas; that’s just the type of stories that those movies tell.

The new baddie doesn’t have to be a Sith, but someone will have to use the dark side of the Force, or otherwise Luke and the other Jedi will be fighting against battle droids and Stormtroopers. As we’ve seen, those enemies are no match for them, so it’s not very exciting.

I understand but that's how our opinions differs, IMO. I do not see Star Wars like Indiana Jones at all.
I see Star Wars as a Saga. Indy is a James bond kind of hero.
Star Wars stories needs to be parts of a bigger story. Something meaningful. Something with a begining and an END (at least for the trilogies. The standalone movies they could make after is something else).
That's also what I did not like in the PT by the way: having Maul, then Dooku, Then Grievous = Vilain of the week, and it's how I find Star Wars not exciting at all.
I think I already developed my idea of what could be the threat.

TMBTM said:
Indy is a James bond kind of hero.
Literally. He was modeled after Connery's Bond.
I agree with you, I always see the driving force behind Star Wars as politics. It is a little more obvious in the PT, but Star Wars is about a puppetmaster pulling strings and leashes. He is always in control, yet does everything through manipulating others to take action, you almost never see him pick up a light saber.

Arguably the OT had a villain of the week too. Tarkin in A New Hope, Moff Jerjerrod, Boba Fett in Empire Strikes Back, and Moff Jerjerrod/The Emperor/Jabba/Bib Fortuna in RotJ

wabid said:
Arguably the OT had a villain of the week too. Tarkin in A New Hope, Moff Jerjerrod, Boba Fett in Empire Strikes Back, and Moff Jerjerrod/The Emperor/Jabba/Bib Fortuna in RotJ

True, true... plenty of bad guyz in the OT.
And one could say that Palpatine was the main bad guy in the PT too.
But I don't know... something makes me feel like the OT has a more coherent use of its bad guys in relation with an overall story spread across the three movies.

I think what I really meant was that the new main vilain should have a real motivation behind him, and not just being a new Sith coming out of nowhere just for the sake of having a new cool looking vilain. Nor the generic idea of having some imperials forces still present and fighting the republic for the glory of their dead Emperor.
I want more than this. I'd like something that would wrap the entire 3 trilogies in a logical way.

They should not have
killed Maul at the end of TPM. They kept dooku around until the beginning of 3. I think it would have better to have established Maul and had his son/apprentice/a friend killed, and pissed Maul off.

lol, I don't think Maul's fate needs to be spoiler tagged at this point.

So, two more official denials.

Brad Bird is out of the running. (Actually, this was announced a few days ago, but I don't remember if it's been mentioned here or not.) This news makes me very sad.

And, not so much sad as very surprising (to me, anyway), Colin Trevorrow is now out. I thought for sure, with his indie film cred, that he was hugely appealing to Lucas. So much for that. (And I just rented Safety Not Guaranteed in the mail from Blockbuster, but apparently I didn't need to!)

http://screenrant.com/star-wars-7-director-brad-bird-colin-trevorrow/

On the ForceCast, the hosts noted that Kathleen Kennedy said in her original interview that she was looking to hire someone with a lot of experience and with whom she had worked with before. Looking at Kennedy's IMDB page, the hosts noted that the two directors' names that came up the most often in connection with her were Spielberg (who already said he won't do it) . . . and M. Night Shaylaman.

Good heavens, NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

Not only has he not made a movie that anyone's liked in about a decade, but specifically he tried to take on someone else's franchise with The Last Airbender - and it's one of the worst-reviewed movies of all time! He has failed at doing the very thing that needs to be done in this case! (Kennedy was a producer on Airbender.)

I have to keep from hyperventilating right now. Joe Johnston and Jon Favreau still haven't officially denied the rumors of their names being in the director's hat, so there's still hope.

Lol... I posted something along those lines a week and a half ago :p Welcome to my panic :lol:

I'd have faith in Shaymalan. He's had several good films as well as a few dudes. The problem is he was writing the scripts as well as producing and there was no one to keep him in check. With a separate writer and Kennedy producing I'm sure someone would be watching over his shoulder at all times.

I hope so if that's what happens. Changing the pronunciation of almost every main character's names in an adaptation (The Last Airbender) with a huge fanbase is the WORST decision I've ever seen made in any film, ever. I have never seen anything like the midnight release of that movie - the entire theater cringed every time "Aang" was referred to as "Ong". Even with several good films under his belt, I will never forgive him for that travesty. It was like watching your favorite Grandma get gangraped.

No Shamalamadingdong. NO. FTG. NO

Michael-scott-no-god-no.gif

Won't happen. Disney knows better. Whether he would make a good film is irrelevant. The fan outrage would be swift and powerful, and Disney doesn't need any bad vibes for this project.

reave said:
Won't happen. Disney knows better. Whether he would make a good film is irrelevant. The fan outrage would be swift and powerful, and Disney doesn't need any bad vibes for this project.

Well, almost all his films were released through Touchstone, a subsidiary of Disney, so he is indebted to them. And with a string of flops they'd get him cheap. Hell, if it could redeem his credibility he may even do it for free.

while I'm a fan of his early work I think it would take a miracle of biblical proportions for him to make a Star Wars movie that would meet fan expectations. A chronological graph showing the quality of his films would lead one to believe that his Star Wars film would be the worst film in all of history.

i still believe m night stole the script for sixth sense from someone else

M. Night Shyamalan's Star Wars Episode VII would be so epic. I would definitely camp out for that shit.

Neglify said:
M. Night Shyamalan's Star Wars Episode VII would be so epic. I would definitely camp out for that shit.

indeed...

Q2 said:
I'd have faith in Shaymalan. He's had several good films as well as a few dudes.

lol

Back
Top Bottom