• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Our Cinemas

Metrostar

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
So, I was going to post this in the Dark Knight Rises thread, on account of the fact that I am going to see it tonight (for the first time!). But I got to thinking maybe some of you would like to share any pictures of nice old cinemas you use or that you have seen. Anyway, here is my favorite cinema and I usually wait until movies come here before I see them. It's $3 to get in and they don't have any heating, so in the winter, you have to take your own blankets/sleeping bags. They sell popcorn and soda.

maxg5s.jpg

this is the cecil cinema in hull it's now being used as a bingo hall but i remember back in the day having to wait outside before doors opened to see the film. we had lots of cinemas in this city but unfortunately must of them have either been knocked down, deserted or converted into night clubs or bingo halls

picture071ya1.jpg

hull-astoria.jpg

these days i go to my local cineworld i'm what they call unlimited member in which i pay £15 a month in which i can see any film i want as many times as i want, but i do miss the old style cinema theaters
10841352.jpg

Red Vic Movie House (now closed)

red_vic_w.jpg

red_vic440x349.JPG

img_15041.jpg

Castro Theater (still open)

castro_theater.jpg

theatre-interior.jpg

This is where I first saw Star Wars:

ka3doy.jpg

Salisbury (UK) - Odeon Cinema.

"Built by Gaumont British Picture Corporation in 1931, it backs onto a fifteenth-century banqueting hall, which today provides the cinema's picturesque New Canal entrance. The auditorium itself was by architects William Trent and Ernest Tulley in a mock-Baronial style, with ceiling chandeliers and wall tapestries giving the illusion that this is a "Tudor cinema".

It is still open.

I remember seeing Highlander II and The Doors here:

4gtggn.jpg

I knew it as the Ohio Cinema. It was in Kettering, Northamptonshire, UK. It is closed and hopefully they will demolish the building soon. It's not a pretty site!

2788502_49562e40.jpg

Dorchester, Dorset (England) - Plaza.

It was traditionally a two screen flea-pit. Apparently, the large screen is the biggest on the south coast of England. Part of it was sold off as a bingo hall, then converted back again! Significant investment has occurred for 2 new screens and massive revamp. They keep it cheap - £2.50 week nights/£3.50 Weekends. They used to charge an extra £2 for 3D, but they've done away with this now as evil Odeon has now opened a multiplex across town at £7 a ticket. This has angered locals....it wasn't needed for such a small town. Not sure when it was built, but it's old art deco, early 20th century. They do live showings of operas, ballets and plays from London as well.

Can buy wine and beer here. Used to be able to smoke in there in the old days.

3923595png.jpg

plaza-cinema.jpg

I think I saw Empire, Jurassic Park, Edward Scissorhands, Independence Day here at least.....

Heres where I used to go, and it only used to cost £2.50!!
Odeon Harlow: circa 1986
large.jpg

and unfortunately, now:
1030322.jpg

The guy who owns the whole of that row won't let Harlow Council knock it down because they took away his alcohol license and, apparently, keep harrasing him. I remember watching Waterworld, South Park and Street Fighter there. Good times.

I love the look of The Castro Neg.

This is the Bytowne in downtown Ottawa. It was opened in February 1947 and was called the Nelson.

ByTowne_Cinema_Jan_05.jpg

And this is what it looks like all lit up at night.

1002084s.jpg

I also used to love to go to the Vanier Cinemas, which was closed in the late 90's. The building is still there, since other businesses occupied it as well, but the space the theater occupied has been renovated and is now a blood clinic. I also grew up going to the theater inside the St. Laurent Shopping Center and the Gloucester 5. The St. Laurent cinema was closed in 2001, the last film I saw there was the first Charlie's Angels movie, but reopened in 2005 as a second-run theater. The Gloucester 5 was inside the Gloucester Shopping Center but closed in 2001. It just couldn't compete with the 16-screen multiplex known as Silvercity Gloucester which was built across the street. The last movie I saw there was Hannibal.

Cool thread!

The Hollywood Cinema in Great Yarmouth, which is quite cheap (about £4.50), plus they sell dvds and movie posters as well

hollywood-cinerma-580-great-yarmouth.jpg

The last time I was there, me and the missus saw Horrible Bosses. It's right on the beach, and 30 seconds walk from the pub. Happy days!! It's got some cool stuff inside, like framed film cells and some memorabillia, but I don't know if it's changed since last year.

Awesome thread!

I usually go to my local Flagship, though when I was younger there was this cool old second run theater I used to frequent. It's closed now, and I was always too young to catch the name.

Anyway, recently I've been trying to go more to old theaters like the ones you guys have mentioned.

Here are the ones I've been to:
West_Newton_Cinema,_MA.jpg

West Newton Cinema, MA. Looks a lot cooler inside

1201618259_5607bb3b54.jpg

Jane Pickens theater in Newport, RI.

922488240_0bb84d6d5c.jpg

Avon Theater in Providence, RI. Just there for the first time a month or so ago to see The Master.

I adore my local theater. It's a little less than a mile from my house, so great walking distance. The fun part is, it's also a pub!! They just remodeled and restored some sections:

studio35-1.jpg

studio35-2.jpg

studio-35-05.jpg

still has that classic charm in the theater, but newly updated video and audio, and LOADS of micro brews on tap. I'm pretty sure this is what heaven is like.

http://www.studio35.com/index.html

See, we've only got one cinema with a sort of bar, and that's Cineworld. Well, I say bar, more a sort of bar you get at a function hall, with prices like £4 for a bottle of Bud. We need more cinemas with a proper pub inside at good prices.

JetSetWilly said:
See, we've only got one cinema with a sort of bar, and that's Cineworld. Well, I say bar, more a sort of bar you get at a function hall, with prices like £4 for a bottle of Bud. We need more cinemas with a proper pub inside at good prices.

the beer isn't exactly cheap at my theater, but its REALLY good beer. The movies are really nicely priced, though. Once a month our place does a beer tasting. $25 gets you the movie, and 10 samples from a featured microbrew. They advertise 4oz samples, but really give you samples twice that size. Most of the brews are fairly high alcohol content too, so by the end of the film, you're in a REALLY good mood. lol

I'm old and tired, so I'd probably just fall asleep ;)

I have bars at my theaters, but hot damn, that is a nice tap selection. I will mark that down on my someday list.

I went to see "Wreck-It Ralph" this afternoon and I wanted to take my camera so I could take a couple of pics of the theater to post in this thread but I completely forgot. I'll try to remember for next week when I go see "Skyfall". I did manage to find a pic online though of the front side of the theater.

Silver_City_Theatre.jpg

I think they build them all the same because I found similar pics of 3 or 4 other SilverCity's around Canada and they all look the same from the outside. Don't know about the inside though.

Also found this cool little website that might be of interest to some.

http://www.cinematour.com/main.php

Unfortunately there were no pics of the Gloucester 5, Vanier, or St. Laurent theaters I grew up going to. :(

Neglify said:
Red Vic Movie House (now closed)

red_vic_w.jpg
DAMN, I know, RIP Red Vic. :(

Neglify said:
Castro Theater (still open)

theatre-interior.jpg

The Castro's a treasure, no question, but the last time I was there I saw Zodiac, which I'd seen twice before, and could still barely make out a large chunk of the dialog. The acoustics in that place... not so good for talking bits? Further study needed, I guess.

Gaith said:
The Castro's a treasure, no question, but the last time I was there I saw Zodiac, which I'd seen twice before, and could still barely make out a large chunk of the dialog. The acoustics in that place... not so good for talking bits? Further study needed, I guess.

Hmm, I've seen a lot of movies there and never had a problem with the audio. Although to be fair I've only seen older movies there so maybe since Zodiac was a digital projection (I believe) their system sucks for digital.

Back
Top Bottom