• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Disney buys Lucasfilm!

I can see them sticking with Lucas's original outline for Ep 7 - 9, but considering how old the original cast is I have a feeling they'd become minor characters, if anything. So the the overall story may be the same but with new characters.

But I do agree that Ep 6 does tie up the series nicely, so I'm not sure an "Epilogue Trilogy" is warranted. I'd much rather see some films that take place during The Old Republic time frame, or even the KOTOR time frame. What I'm saying is thousands of years before TPM.

The best way that I can see this panning out is a trilogy of rebuilding the republic. It never made sense to me that the Empire would fail instantly the second Palpatine died. This could be set after a full civil war has been finished. Show Luke entering the Jedi temple to restore the Order, Leia as Chancellor working to re establish the Senate, and Han/Chewy/Lando leading the rebuilding of Coruscant, which has fallen into disrepair.

Wow, 83 posts already! I'll try to get to some specific responses, but for now, here are my general thoughts:

--For those who are worried, could Disney possibly do a worse job than George did with the prequels?

--It took several years for Disney to get the Muppets right, but now they have with the 2011 film. Meanwhile, Disney let Pixar keep doing their thing after the merger. We got Up and Toy Story 3. After the Disney sale, Marvel continued to give us excellent movies, including The Avengers.

It could go wrong, but even the possibility of a new Star Wars movie at the quality level of The Avengers makes me beside myself giddy with excitement.

--Ideas for directors? I'm thinking Jon Favreau, Joe Johnston, Frank Darabont, Kevin Smith (not thrilled about that one, but it's possible), Frank Oz (!), Kyle Newman (who directed Fanboys), or maybe even an odd choice like John Singleton (who based Boyz N the Hood off of American Graffiti).

--Disney has talked about making an Avatar Land for their parks, which sounds like a terrible idea, because that's only one movie on which to base a whole world. My advice to Disney: Scrap Avatar Land and make Star Wars Land!

--Star Wars comics started at Marvel and moved to Dark Horse. Will they move back to Marvel now? Will Lucas Books move to Disney's Hyperion label? Will Hasbro/Kenner finally lose the toy license, since Mattel makes all Disney toys right now?

--The online world has been on fire with Star Wars talk, but strangely, there's been not one word about Indiana Jones. My understanding is that after '77's Star Wars granted him financial success, Lucas owns all his other properties, including the Indy movies. Paramount just distributes them. So Disney should be able to make more.

Disney and Paramount have a good working relationship right now anyway, with the Marvel movies. The real question is, when will we hear what their plans are, and what will those plans be?

After Crystal Skull, I felt that Dr. Jones' life story is mostly complete. I don't want to see an aging Indy in the 1960s. The only opportunity left that I can see is filling in the gaps for Indy in the 1920s, in between The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles and Raiders of the Lost Ark. That might not be great, but I prefer it to the alternative.

5728191_700b_v1.jpg

TomH1138 said:
--The online world has been on fire with Star Wars talk, but strangely, there's been not one word about Indiana Jones. My understanding is that after '77's Star Wars granted him financial success, Lucas owns all his other properties, including the Indy movies. Paramount just distributes them. So Disney should be able to make more.

Disney and Paramount have a good working relationship right now anyway, with the Marvel movies. The real question is, when will we hear what their plans are, and what will those plans be?

After Crystal Skull, I felt that Dr. Jones' life story is mostly complete. I don't want to see an aging Indy in the 1960s. The only opportunity left that I can see is filling in the gaps for Indy in the 1920s, in between The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles and Raiders of the Lost Ark. That might not be great, but I prefer it to the alternative.

You read this : http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Indiana-Jones-Return-Disney-33838.html ?

Don't think much will happen with Indy for now. Maybe, somewhere down the line.

Why can't I "like" comments in this thread? A lot of good stuff. Oh, well.

In an interview published in Total Film in May 2008, Lucas also ruled out anybody else ever making the sequel trilogy (or other future Star Wars features). Asked if he was happy for new Star Wars tales to be told after he was gone, Lucas replied: "I've left pretty explicit instructions for there not to be any more features. There will definitely be no Episodes VII–IX.

Yeah, that was after years of saying that he had ideas for nine movies. Then, suddenly, he claimed that he never had any ideas for an additional three movies, despite tons of quotes to the contrary. And then he started saying that he would never let anyone else make 7 through 9, either. Now, suddenly, he has this idea that "just occurred to [him] for the first time" when making RotS.

What does all of this prove? It proves that George Lucas is a pathological liar. (But at least now his dishonesty is benign.)

there is a young actor in Toronto named Anthony Ingruber I have been following for some time now because a) he is one of the best impressionists I have ever heard and b) he is the spitting image of young Harrison Ford (all he lacks is the scar). He does a very, very good HF, and he has worked on a Disney made-for-TV movie before. I think he would be terrific in the role or as Han and Leia's son, if they go that route...

Forget Han's son--let's get this guy into an Indiana Jones film! (But not like the Young Indy series, more like the movies.)

I wouldn't be surprised if they did release the theatricals now.

I doubt that George would have signed the deal if Disney didn't agree to his terms about not tampering with the current versions of the films. He even has that in his will, so that his kids can't change it after he's gone. Then again, if you had asked me three days ago if George Lucas would allow someone else to make Star Wars Ep. VII, I would have said, "Never in a million years!"

Other than the Thrawn Trilogy, are there any other books that could be well adapted for an episode 7?

There are several excellent books and comics, but I have a feeling that the new stuff, whatever it is, won't be just an adaptation of something that fans have already seen before.

-What happens now with the Clone Wars TV series? It is on the rival Cartoon Network, sooo are we looking at the possibility of cancellation here?

I doubt that a popular show would be canceled on the basis of that. However, the show moved to Saturday mornings this year because it's starting to falter a bit in the ratings. Dave Filoni, the head director of the show,has indicated that it's nearing the end of its run, and that was before this announcement.

As for video games and comics, one of the linked articles above said that everything will stay the course for now, such as the 1313 video game project. But in a year or two, it's anyone's guess what will happen.

And I think fanediting is just as safe as it was before. It's become part of the complex subculture of the franchise, and going after the small peanuts of dedicated fans is not likely a matter that they care about, plus as others have noted, they've not raised a finger against any other property that they own which has been edited.

I certainly hope so! It never occurred to me, prior to reading this thread, that Star Wars fan editing would be in any danger. SW fan editing might have to go way underground, if the Mouse causes trouble.

As for Adywan, I think that Disney should hire him to finish his work and have it released as the official, definitive versions of the movies!

I would NOT want to see a Nolan Star Wars.

I agree. I love him; I think he's one of the best film directors ever. But his style is not right for Star Wars. Ditto Terry Gilliam, Guillermo del Toro, and Tim Burton, among other names I've heard bandied about.

Matthew Vaughn would probably be one of my top nominations.

Ooh, yes! He did a fantastic job with both Stardust and X-Men: First Class.

All this WhedonWhedonWhedonNolanAbramsWhedonWhedon talk is driving me nuts. Looks like wabid's the only guy so far that understands that there are a slew of directors who could do something way better with the franchise.

Somebody doing better than Whedon???? (ignites lightsaber and turns on Neg)

Seriously, though, while I think he'd do a fantastic job (The Avengers is one of the best superhero movies ever), his hands are indeed too full right now.

Lawrence Kasdan wrote Raiders, Empire, and ROTJ. He's still very much alive, yet no one has ever approached him about returning,

In fact, Kasdan revealed in an interview in Star Wars Insider that George approached him about scripting The Phantom Menace, but he turned George down, saying, "Star Wars is your baby." Apparently, he ascribes to the same dumb "auteur" theory that other filmmakers do, which is that "films are only good when they're written and directed by one person."

Maybe he'd be more willing to come back now. However, due to the lack of positive response to his work on the Clash of the Titans remake, I wonder if he's still got it in him anymore, either.

You read this : http://www.cinemablend.com/new/India...ney-33838.html ?

There seem to be contradictory reports on Indy online. For now, I'm going with what Slashfilm says (with my emphasis added): "
Disney execs were very specific about the fact that Indiana Jones is part of this purchase, but as with some superhero characters when Disney bought Marvel, there is financial “encumbrance” with Indy. Namely, Paramount has a controlling distribution interest in the character, and Disney isn’t going to mess around with that right now."

So while there is understandable hesitation on the Mouse's part, Disney does in fact own part of Indiana Jones. So I don't think we've seen the last of Indy forever.

Whew! Caught up at last. :)

It's now been reported that Fox still owns distribution rights of the prequels and original trilogies through 2020. So unless they release the unedited theatrical cuts of the original trilogy themselves, don't expect it anytime soon.

Note: I wrote this yesterday and was going to post it until Sandy took out my internet. So sorry if I talk about something already covered.

Jesus Christ. Unbelievable.

My first reaction to this was, of course, negative. Why add on to the six film cycle? Oddly enough, I was just thinking the other day about how the big franchises (Bond, Batman, Spiderman) will be making movies forever, simply because they will keep making money. But Star Wars won’t. SW will stay at six, because Lucas wants to keep the integrity of the series (PT quality aside). Which is crazy, because SW is arguably the most popular movie series of all time. I thought that another movie was bound to be made, but I thought it wouldn’t be for a few decades, not a few years. And Disney. The first thing I thought when I heard that was “more Jar Jar, more Ewoks.”

But then I thought some more. Nobody was happy when Disney acquired Marvel, but their first movie together, The Avengers, was amazing. They’re just the distributor. I’ll wait until we learn who’s behind the new films to pass judgment.

As for now, I’m optimistic. Lucas says he wants to hand SW over to the next generation. What does the next generation love? The OT. I think the chances of us seeing the unaltered trilogy on BD have dramatically increased. Remember how Lucas used to say “SW is mine, and I don’t want to make anymore movies, so no more SW movies”? Out the window. So if Lucas is giving SW away, why wouldn’t “SW is mine, and it will be released the way I want” go out the window too? And doesn’t Disney like money? Won’t the OOT make a ton of money on BD?

I can only hope. As I do for the ST (can we start to call it that now?). If the people working on it have names that do not rhyme with Leorge Gucas, then I think we can assume that they are people who love the original trilogy. So why wouldn’t they make the ST like the OT, especially considering the fact that it will be based after it. I mean, seriously, what SW fan would want to make SW movies that resemble the PT?

So I guess the question is, what will we actually see? Well, I’m guessing (more like hoping) the original cast will be back, and their age will be acknowledged. I’m not really too sure if I want them to have a large role or not. I feel like the new trilogy should focus on different characters, thought they should be there, to some extent. I just don’t know if I would want to watch the adventures of an old, slightly overweight Luke Skywalker (no offense to Mark Hamill, guy’s awesome). Of course, there are ways to make them appear younger. Make up, I think, should be out of the question. I’m sure people will bring it up, but I think the de-aging process used in movies like Tron: Legacy just won’t work either if they’re used for such main roles. Of course they could make the whole movies animated, but I wouldn’t really like that, and I don’t think I’m alone here.

More content wise, this could be bad news for fans of the EU. I just have a hard time believing they would adapt EU stories for a new SW trilogy. I just think a new trilogy is too big of a deal to just adapt some SW tie-in book (no offense to stuff like the Thrawn trilogy, books’ awesome). People going to new SW movie want new stories. I guess the question here is whether or not they can make new stories without shitting on the established verse.

I think this means some other thing too. I think we can expect to see all of the 3D OT in 2014, or, at least, it would make sense if we did. And when EpVII lands in 2015, it better be memorial day weekend. And one other thing, that greatly saddens me: so I’m finally coming to terms with the fact that I will be traveling to a galaxy far, far, away in three years time, but it won’t be quite the same. It just won’t be a true Star Wars opening without that 20th Century Fox fanfare (thankfully, I can bet that all of the inevitable ST fanedits will remedy this).

what SW fan would want to make SW movies that resemble the PT

I know l8wrtr shares some similar sentiments, but there is sooo much good in the PT. Everyone looks down on EP1 but fails to see the what worked. The first movie is structured like a star wars movie, and forgiving some dumb writing, is a visually spectacular film. I try and forget EP2, and EP3, although not really a "star wars" film in some senses. offers a great parallel to EPVI. To a newbie watching the movies in order, Anakin's fall makes the threat of Luke's possible fall all the more likely. 3 actually adds tension to 6. It's no longer a sure thing Luke will make the right decision.

And then you have Skywalker Sound and ILM who know what they are doing, and proved it with the PT. I am pretty sure everyone agrees the weak link in the PT is George Lucas. You could probably remake the PT with a script doctor and have a fantastic movie series.

If I had to pick a way to end the ST, I would want the last episode to resemble EP3 over EP6. Dark, foreboding, mysterious, uncertain. Not happy with teddybears and parties.

Oh, don't get me wrong. I love the PT (sounds crazy!). Probably one of the only ones on this forum who does. But I'll be the first to admit that if we get new movies, they better be more like the OT.

Of course, there are some things from the PT that should carry over. CGI (don't kill me), planets such as Coruscant, um, other things. The dark and foreboding nature of Ep3 is definitely something that I would want to see in the new films.

I'm mostly just talking about excessive CGI, stupid comedic characters, wooden acting, excessive CGI, poor dialogue, and excessive CGI. And some other things. I'm just saying people needn't worry that we'll be getting more of what we've gotten recently. The main thing, I think, is that I want the ST to feel like the OT, not the PT. Not because I dislike the PT, but because I love the OT.

Agreed. For all of the crud that the PT contains, there are some good ideas. It's a shame they're bogged down with rubbish ones. I for one can't wait to see what the new trilogy will bring, what with Disneys flair for good stories and ILMs awesome effects work, I'm happy to say im quite stoked for the future of Star Wars.

I have to say... the strangest thing happening from this whole thing is.... George Lucas is loved and respected again. Knowing he no longer has control means we can stop hating him and appreciate what he has given us. Sure, we want the OUT released - but from this moment forward, that isn't his fault anymore.Sure the PT was a mistake, but at the least, he gave them to us. We have the complete story of Anakin Skywalker. And (unintentionally) he provided us with an AMAZING hobby trying to fix the PT. It's really nice to appreciate him again.

wabid said:
If I had to pick a way to end the ST, I would want the last episode to resemble EP3 over EP6. Dark, foreboding, mysterious, uncertain. Not happy with teddybears and parties.

I'd prefer a happy ending.
I like dark movies as much as the next guy, but ending a 9 movies saga (or even the 6 we have by the way) that is mostly made for kids, with an uncertain, mysterious and dark ending. I'm not sure about that.
I know they now are planning even more movies than the 3 trilogies. But since the sequel trilogy is apparently based on a Lucas idea (and so would surely end with a happy ending), I'd prefere the 3 trilogies to be tied together and end in a satisfying manner. Meaning, no wondering about mysterious things, no dark times ahead. Just a complete and clean happy conclusion.
THEN, will come the time to make more movies set in the Star Wars world, where any directors could let there imagination goes (still following some rules, of course).

That said. Even if I now know we are going to see more Star Wars, and I'll gladly go watch them... then why am I a little sad about all that? Can't really focus on the "why".

I guess I was looking at this more like the first of a new 6-ology. I'd rather see this be a new arc of sorts, 3 with rising hidden evil, and three with david vs goliath. I really hope they don't "continue" the story. Anakin is over.

I for one would love to see the Kessel Run feature in the new trilogy. Sure, it would seem like a sequence out of the Amiga game Purple Saturn Day, but seeing the Falcon make it less than 12 parsecs again unknown ships would be quite cool. Hell, maybe even a movie with Dash Rendar in it would be welcome, as he is a character we haven't even seen yet. There's so many untapped stories out there, I can even see spin off movies being good.

Back
Top Bottom