• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Veronica Mars Movie

Q2

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Rob Thomas is pushing for the long wanted Veronica Mars movie. Kirsten Bell is in, and with WB's blessing they've started a Kickstarter campaign to raise the $2 mil they need. If you're a fan of the Veronica Mars show, want to see a movie, and are a U.S. resident you can throw them some bucks here. Come on... you know you want to.

They launched TODAY and already pulled almost $400.000! Wow!
I'm pledging, no question. Me and my gf burned through the DVD sets about a year ago and would love to see this.

Strike that - seconds later they're now way past $400.000. This is gonna work out juuuust fine.

that's not the Rob Thomas i was expecting it to be.
i don't know why i was expecting to be the Rob Thomas i was thinking, but that's right where my mind went.
note to self: rent Veronica Mars.

I have had a DVD set of the first season, that a female friend force-loaned to me a year ago, sitting on my shelf for said year. Can I watch this show and still maintain my manhood?

reave said:
I have had a DVD set of the first season, that a female friend force-loaned to me a year ago, sitting on my shelf for said year. Can I watch this show and still maintain my manhood?

Only one testicle needs to be removed, but yes... manhood will stay intact.

Ships within the US only
Ships within the US only
Ships within the US only
Ships within the US only
Ships within the US only
Ships within the US only
Ships within the US only
Ships within the US only
Ships within the US only

Wow, they really want me to pledge money, huh? Jeez. :-|

It's due to legality with WB and the international distributors. They did tweeted they're trying to work out arranges with them so international fans can pledge. Give it a couple days and it will probably open up.

Huh...well, twitter can be cynical, but it does have a point:

Drew McWeeny said:
I don't understand the party everyone's throwing about Kickstarter. I think that just screws up an already shitty film financing climate. Yay. "Veronica Mars" has fans. Warner Bros. has money. Why are you paying for their movie? When they make "Veronica Mars" and it turns a profit, I'm sure Warner Bros. will thank all of you personally. Ahem. It does not put power in the hands of the fans. Send Rob Thomas script notes. See how much power you have.

...Okay, perhaps that's a might too cynical an opinion. These next guys put it better.

Bob Chipman said:
Okay, so... I never, EVER gave two s***s about "Veronica Mars" so I've been holding back as much as possible about this, but, folks, the whole "I will GIVE ::major corporation:: money to fund new episodes of ::show::!" thing was NEVER supposed to be REAL. I get being a fan of stuff - BELIEVE ME - but hasn't WB essentially said "PROVE TO US how much you want this by giving us your money!!!" This isn't like when people go out and buy DVDs to "show" a franchise has legs. At least then, YOU STILL GET DVDs! Okay, so there were rewards. That's good-ish, but the spectacle of this is sticking in my craw.

Eric D. Snyder said:
Veronica Mars Kickstarter doesn't violate the sanctity of Kickstarter, has no effect on people not interested in the movie, get over it.

2.5 million pledged. Movie greenlit. I gave $10. Fcuk the politics.

Some people just wanna bitch about something. How does this possibly hurt their world?

Also, target smashed in a day...awesome. :)

Apparantly the fastest Kickstarter project ever. That's cool, and will no doubt open the floodgates of similar projects.

It just comes down to there being no right answer to this sort of situation.

Nestor Forjan said:
The big problem with Kickstarter is that people won't pay for something they don't know they want yet. IP is king there.

Not only every filmmakers now take well known franchises to make movies about, but now they so "really really want to be sure" that they ask fans to pay to greenlight the movie? Where is the panache of this job anymore?
They are now asking us to pay twice for the movie "OR YOU WILL NOT SEE IT AT ALL!!!"

I don't really mind in the end. If everyone is happy and have what they want it's all fine by me.
I just find this a bit sad somehow.

PS: But like UA said, I guess I just wanted to bitch about something, haha. ;)

TMBTM said:
Not only every filmmakers now take well known franchises to make movies about, but now they so "really really want to be sure" that they ask fans to pay to greenlight the movie? Where is the panache of this job anymore?
They are now asking us to pay twice for the movie "OR YOU WILL NOT SEE IT AT ALL!!!"

It's not really paying twice. You're basically pre-purchasing the film as a digital copy, a DVD or a Blu-Ray. Yes... it's more expensive than the traditional cost, but you also get it a day or two after the movie is released theatrically. It's the same is if you went to see the movie, liked it, then decided to buy it. I really don't see what the problem is.

Q2 said:
but you also get it a day or two after the movie is released theatrically.
Oh, all right, missed that part. Fair enough.
(That said the fans WILL also pay to see it in theater, of course. But all right.)

pretty awesome that they were able to hit their goal so quickly. i enjoyed the series when it came out and everything. it's not a bad show by any means. actually was a bit enjoyable. so look forward to seeing where this goes from here.

Back
Top Bottom