• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

ThrowgnCpr's guide to prepping a HD edit in Vegas (ripping & converting from Blu-ray)

well, if you can't provide details on what you did exactly from copying your disc to encoding the lagarith avi, I can't help...

Well, I just did everything in your tutorial. I copied it the full disc from DVDFab and then merged the .vobs in tsmuxer. Then I converted the .ts to an .mkv with mkvmerge and turned that into a lossless lagarith AVI with virtualdub (keeping the fps in the script at NTSC rate). Then I went back to tsmuxer, merged the audio from the .vob files, loaded it into eac3to, and finally split it into 6 .wavs in tranzcode. Then I loaded the .avi and all the .wavs into Vegas.

ok. my guess is that you are having an issue with framerates. The steps in this tutorial are really not for working with DVD material.

I would suggest the following steps for DVD:

- rip with DVDfab.
- demux/remux movie into mpg2 container. you can use vob2mpg or similar program
- take care to fix pulldown (if 23.976 video in 29.97 dvd standard). Boon23 has some notation on this using DGpulldown
- open mpg in virtualdub (you either need mpg plugin or use avisynth script)
- save as lagarith.
- use same steps for ac3 to wav as in this tutorial

there is also the possibility, though slim, that you still have a copy protection issue on the files.

It is easy to tell if it is an FPS issue because if it is the audio will gradually get more out of sync as the movie progresses.

I tried all your suggestions, but the audio is still hopelessly out of sync. Again, it still ends at the same time as the video, but it movies waaaay slower, and I have no idea what is wrong with it. It's never been in sync at all :?

:-(

I don't think this is the problem, but its worth a shot - you may still have a copy protection problem. DVDFab has been my tool of choice, but at times, it hasn't worked on a disc. You may try to copy the disc to your HDD with another tool such as AnyDVD, to test for copy protection issues.

and just to clarify, what exactly did you do about the FPS? is it 29.976 or 23.976 and did you do anything to adjust?

QuickCut said:
I tried all your suggestions, but the audio is still hopelessly out of sync. Again, it still ends at the same time as the video, but it movies waaaay slower, and I have no idea what is wrong with it. It's never been in sync at all :?

:-(

More description please. Slower how? How is it out of sync specifically? If it ends at the same time as the video, it is not "slower" persay. Do you mean that the pitch of the audio is lower and slow sounding? is the audio preceding or trailing the video consistently throughout? What is the difference at the beginning of movie? Middle? End?

geminigod said:
More description please. Slower how? How is it out of sync specifically? If it ends at the same time as the video, it is not "slower" persay. Do you mean that the pitch of the audio is lower and slow sounding? is the audio preceding or trailing the video consistently throughout? What is the difference at the beginning of movie? Middle? End?

The pitch is just fine. The movie opens with the Universal logo, and the sound for the logo starts at the same time as the logo but ends about two seconds after. The audio seems to get farther and farther behind as the movie progresses. By the end it's off by over 30 seconds, but then it ends at the same time as the video :?

A much better description. And now we don't have to grasp at straws for the solution.

Somewhere in your workflow you clearly caused a framerate problem. It sounds like the last 30 seconds of audio has been clipped from the end in order to be the same length?

The answer probably lies somewhere in the fact that you are working from an HD workflow instead of SD. There are lots of DVD guides. Give one of those a shot to see if you can come up with better results. There are interlacing & framerate issues that have to be considered.

QuickCut, I have been updating the FAQ section of my HCenc guide to address issues that people often ask me about when they have problems handling SD source material. (Some of that section is still "under construction".) At some point, I might split that section off and make a separate guide for preparing SD sources for editing, but for now take a look at the FAQ and see if it helps you and perhaps post any problems that you have there, so we can keep this thread for HD issues (assuming that is all right with Throw).

Captain Khajiit said:
so we can keep this thread for HD issues (assuming that is all right with Throw).

That would be perfect, thanks Captain. I didn't want this thread to become a "help me set up every possible format" thread. The cleaner the better.

Thank you for the guide, Mr Thrower of Copper! I recently got myself a new laptop with Blu-ray capabilities so I figured I'd get myself back into the game in HD! :D One question, just out of morbid curiosity: how big are the files I'm going to be working with going to end up? Just wanna see if I can get all three LOTR EEs on my computer at once. ;P

Sounds about right. Thanks!

Depends on the resolution. 1080p is definitely around 1gb/minute. 720p is obviously a bit smaller.

I was reading the guide and there is not need to convert the m2ts file to lossless AVI. Just mark "demux" on TSmuser, you will get a ".264" file that vegas can manage. This way you can save some good megas.

I think we may be using different versions of Vegas...I've tried several times to import a .264 file as suggested and all I've managed to do is crash Vegas. Sorry mate. :(

Aztek463 said:
I think we may be using different versions of Vegas...I've tried several times to import a .264 file as suggested and all I've managed to do is crash Vegas. Sorry mate. :(

I think if you put the H.264 file into a container file like MP4 or maybe M2TS, Vegas might read it and allow you to edit it. But it is really bad advice to try editing MPEG4 (which includes H.264 codec) in any of its various incarnations. Getting a bigger hard drive and sticking to editing losslessly may save you a lot of frustrations and yield better results.

Aztek463 said:

I didn't say (thought it was some problem with my computer-vegas) but the first time you load a ".264" file takes some time and Vegas look like it's crash. Just let him be for a while and eventually it will do it (at least on Vegas pro 11). This happens only on the first load.
Didnt't work with ".h264" raw files instead of ".264".

One thing I did notice, however: on my first run through getting a playable movie file from tsMuxer, I accidentally left it set to create a *.ts instead of an *.m2ts. When I ran the pair of them through Virtual Dub (on separate occasions) I noted that both gave me lossless *.avi files of very high quality that Vegas enjoyed, BUT the one created from the *.ts was quite a bit smaller.

The one I got for Fellowship Part One is about 89 gigs and runs about an hour and forty-five minutes and was created from a *.ts.
The one I got for Fellowship Part Two came out a 189 gigs and was created from the *m2ts. It runs a little over two hours.

Now, a size difference is to be expected, but 100 gigs for 15 extra minutes? Seems a little excessive to me. :p

Back
Top Bottom