• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Movies That Made You Cry

Matrix Revolutions. I was so let down! ;-)

TV's Frink said:
Matrix Revolutions. I was so let down! ;-)
Despite its obvious faults, I enjoyed Revolutions more than I did Reloaded. That super brawl was just overkill...

Kal-El said:
Despite its obvious faults, I enjoyed Revolutions more than I did Reloaded. That super brawl was just overkill...

+1!

I'm on L8wrtr's team: too many to count. :p

My wife usually makes fun of me because of my reactions to movies. Yesterday, coincidentally, we were talking about raising our kids and she said: "My kids will have the same pop culture education i had. They gonna watch Chuck Norris, Charles Bronson... But i forbid you to show them movies like Bambi or The Lion King!"

My reactions to dramatic scenes are quite famous. :p When i was younger, and single, i was trying to impress a girl by talking about a manga we had both read (Barefoot Gen) and at some point i said: "It was so intense that i even cried". Then she turned to me and said (while all my friends, watching the situation, exploded in laughs): "From what i hear, you even cry at The Lion King..."

I used to blame father-son dramatic scenes, since i lost my father on an early age, and this all seemed to have started with that damn scene where Simba's dad dies. But nowadays i just cry, always... at any dramatic scene... and a lot :p So i can't use this excuse anymore.

Some more that i can remember:

Bram Stoker's Dracula - One of the last movies i watched with my father. A friend made fun of me when we were leaving the theatre but i said that my eyer were hurting. The truth is: when mina ends Vlad's life, i just couldn't resist :p

Marley and Me - I had this movie waiting on the shelf and had never watched. Then one day my mother called me and told me that Roko, my fat and doglike cat, had died. So i put the dvd on my laptop and went to the couch to watch it alone. Suddenly the wife enters the room, sees me with those big, red eyes, and starts to yell at me: "I can't believe it! Are you watching that damn movie about the dog who dies??? On the same day your cat died? Are you a f*%$ moron?".

Somewhere in Time - Watched the first time when i was about 8 or 9 years old, with my mom. I still burst in tears even in my thirties :p

Armaggedon - Terrible movie, but that scene with Bruce Willis saying goodbye by the monitors... Jeez!

felipemeyer said:
My reactions to dramatic scenes are quite famous. :p When i was younger, and single, i was trying to impress a girl by talking about a manga we had both read (Barefoot Gen) and at some point i said: "It was so intense that i even cried". Then she turned to me and said (while all my friends, watching the situation, exploded in laughs): "From what i hear, you even cry at The Lion King..."

I used to blame father-son dramatic scenes, since i lost my father on an early age, and this all seemed to have started with that damn scene where Simba's dad dies. But nowadays i just cry, always... at any dramatic scene... and a lot :p So i can't use this excuse anymore.

It's funny you bring this up, I was going to come here and say Grave of the Fireflies is the one animated film I can remember crying to since maybe the Lion King in 1994 but I'm not sure I did cry to the lion king, I might;ve been very saddened. That said it's themese are similar to those of Barefoot Gen which I've not read the manga to, but ended up watching the anime films about 2 years ago. Even though Gen came first, grave was the first film I saw so it holds a slightly dearer place in my heart, tbut the scene where Gen's family are trapped in the burning rubble is probably more harrowing than most of Grave of the fireflies.

The Room: "You are tearing me apart Lisa!"

Gets me every time.

Imma have to add Men In Black III to the list. Not quite full blown box of Kleenex, but had to remove my glasses several times tow wipe'm away.

Omaru1982 said:
It's funny you bring this up, I was going to come here and say Grave of the Fireflies is the one animated film I can remember crying to since maybe the Lion King in 1994 but I'm not sure I did cry to the lion king, I might;ve been very saddened. That said it's themese are similar to those of Barefoot Gen which I've not read the manga to, but ended up watching the anime films about 2 years ago. Even though Gen came first, grave was the first film I saw so it holds a slightly dearer place in my heart, tbut the scene where Gen's family are trapped in the burning rubble is probably more harrowing than most of Grave of the fireflies.

How could i forget Grave of the Fireflies? Cried a lot. A-L-O-T! :p

But i guess it's easier to remember of Lion King because it had such an impact on my family's life. When it was released on Brazil, my father had just died, at the age of 45. At the time, my brother was only 5, and his school made a trip to the theater so everyone could watch the movie, and they called us asking if he could stay home, cause they thought it would be too much emotion for him.

In the end, my sister took him to the movies so he could watch it. But when they got there, the only session available was subtitled. Remember now: my brother was only five. So they took this session anyway and my sister spent the whole movie reading the subtitles outloud so my brother could understand the movie, while everybody else at the theater kept complaining :p

This scene made me cry the first time i saw it, i was about 11 and drunk at the time, but not drunk enough to forget it ;):

I also cried laughing when i first saw that scene! One of the best WTF moments in the history of cinema

Gotta agree with anyone here who says the music is what puts them over that edge. For whatever reason music just resonates with me more than any amount of acting performance or whatever the line may be. The only exception I can think of is the end of "Frequency" when:
Quaid appears and says to his son "I'm still here chief", and they hug.
As a kid a lot of the movies that made me cry were almost ALWAYS scored by James Horner. American Tale, Batteries Not Included, and The Land Before Time, just a few examples. Come to think of it, those music cues he used were very similar sounding.

As for more recently, definitely agree with the previous post who mentioned the Helicopter rescue from Superman 1, for the same reason mostly, but again, also the music. Thorne did a fine job with the music in Superman 2, but man, I can't imagine how much more epic the music (and overall film) would've been had Williams returned. And even though the editing mess that is Superman 2: The Richard Donner Cut is what got me into fan editing, I'll admit that I got teary eyed at the end when Lois says "Your secret's safe with me". Imagine my disappointment when Jim Bowers over at capedwonder.com told me that that wasn't even Margot's voice, as Thau had her dialogue dubbed with a voice-double. Even though the scene in the tv version has her original voice track.....I also recently saw E.T after having not seen it since I was around 4 (I'm 28) because ET scared me. Gotta admit that music is powerful. Aw hell, everything about it works, lol. My mother says I used to cry when I watched it as kid, but again I only remember being scared of ET.

Anyway, as for tears of joy, in recent years I always get really pumped up at the end of Rocky 3 as the music builds and Sly is just wailing on Mr. T and Apollo kisses Pauly lol. Rocky 3 may be a big departure from the dramatic tone of the first 2 films, but it's a damn entertaining flick.

Damnit Super 8 got me. I didn't think it would but it did. I lost my older sister back in 1999 and movies where a family member's death is emphasized and portrayed realistically tend to make me tear up a bit. Really it was the locket thing in the end that got me, right before the credits. Thank god for them showing the kids' movie in the end or I would have really lost it.

L8wrtr said:
Imma have to add Men In Black III to the list. Not quite full blown box of Kleenex, but had to remove my glasses several times tow wipe'm away.

I thought you were kidding when I first read this. Like the movie was so bad that you cried because you actually paid money to see it. But I went to see it tonight and I know exactly what you mean. I didn't cry, but I felt my eyes start to get watery a bit. Aside from that though I really enjoyed the movie. They seem to get better with each entry.

I'm not sure if many people have seen it, but I cried during the documentary "Capturing the Friedmans", I think thats what its called. But the way that that good family fell apart and the son went to jail, the dad committed suicide, they would argue violently. It was just soooooo sad. Especially when the son goes to jail and the mother is talking about when he was a baby. Plus the Dad had fought his homosexuality thorughout his entire life. He was miserable and at the end none of the family talks to eachother until the brother got out of jail. I havent seen it in a while but thats what I remember. :cry:

TM Productions said:
I'm not sure if many people have seen it, but I cried during the documentary "Capturing the Friedmans", I think thats what its called. But the way that that good family fell apart and the son went to jail, the dad committed suicide, they would argue violently. It was just soooooo sad. Especially when the son goes to jail and the mother is talking about when he was a baby. Plus the Dad had fought his homosexuality thorughout his entire life. He was miserable and at the end none of the family talks to eachother until the brother got out of jail. I havent seen it in a while but thats what I remember. :cry:

I've seen it. What you left out though was the fact that the father and son were child molesters. I'm sorry, but I have zero sympathy for child molesters. I feel bad for the families that they ruin, including their own, but not for the pedophiles themselves.

Frantic Canadian said:
I've seen it. What you left out though was the fact that the father and son were child molesters. I'm sorry, but I have zero sympathy for child molesters. I feel bad for the families that they ruin, including their own, but not for the pedophiles themselves.

Nooooooo, I don't have sympathy for child molesters either, but it was just sad because of the close family falling apart. But, I personally don't think that the son was a childmolester, i think he was found guilty because his town already thought he was guilty and his father was guilty.

I do get a teary eye from time to time. Instances I remember:

Ending of Green Mile
Ending of The Return of the King
Ending of Savior (1998 Dennis Quaid movie) - that lullaby stuck with me for days
Ending of The Intouchables - I'm kinda curious about what Kevin Hart and Bryan Cranston will bring to the remake. 

Some of the recent ones:

La La Land - the cue when she starts singing the 'Fools who dream' song. 
Hidden Figures - the scene where Taraji P. Henson's character loses it really got me.

Just watched this one last night. 

Mary-Martha-e1398830560670.jpg

Excellent movie

Back
Top Bottom