• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Separating Sound Effects, Dialogue and Music?

njvc

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
geminigod said:
Did I say that? I was totally lying. Njvc's illuminating post above reveals that, while his fanedits are amazing, he is in fact not a true magician but just a conjurer of cheap tricks. The truth is some of us here do possess real magical powers.

Syfo-Dyas, you must choose. Follow njvc and spend months learning about technology, tricks, & illusion, or follow me into the black void where anything is possible with a simple thought and click of a button.

I can teach the arcane secrets of our fanediting order, Syfo-Dyas, but first you must demonstrate your devotion to the order by meditating in a sensory depravation chamber for 48 hours and then egging George Lucas's mailbox. You must also pray to Tv's Frink thrice daily, or I fear there will be nothing any of us can do for you. No force of nature can withstand his wrath.

(Now I really need to re-watch The Prestige.)

Gold, if for no other reason that you referenced my favourite and most often quoted LOTR scene...."Bilbo....the ring is still in your pock-et." Say this in your best Gandalf voice, and you are guaranteed to have a good day.

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
geminigod said:
You must also pray to Tv's Frink thrice daily, or I fear there will be nothing any of us can do for you. No force of nature can withstand his wrath.

:ranger:

JetSetWilly

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Right, Im having no end of problems. Basically, I found out Robocop 2 is in Dolby Surround. Now, I've ripped the soundtrack from the dvd as .wav files, and tried to convert them into channels, which worked, but both the music and speech are in both tracks, not matter what I've tried :-| After trying Audacity, foobar2000 and the others (whos names escape me for the moment), I'm getting quite fed up. I've a feeling it's because of them being in Dolby Surround. Please tell me I'm wrong, and that it's a simple solution, as I feel like I'm banging my head against a brick wall!!

lpd

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hi Jetset.
You will find that most movies dont have perfectly separate speech / effects/ music channels especially if its an older movie that may have been converted to surround sound from stereo.

JetSetWilly

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
lpd said:
Hi Jetset.
You will find that most movies dont have perfectly separate speech / effects/ music channels especially if its an older movie that may have been converted to surround sound from stereo.

Ah, b*****ks! I thought as much. Ok, then, next question: is there some sort of program that will isolate the music/speech, and let you mute it (or am I being a pillock?)?
Oh, and thanks for the reply btw :)

lpd

Reaction score
Trophy Points
There are programs that claim to be able to do that but I dont think theres any that can do it properly. Your best bet is while editing trying to isolate the speech word for word and filling in the music behind, yes its a pain in the arse!

JetSetWilly

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
lpd said:
There are programs that claim to be able to do that but I dont think theres any that can do it properly. Your best bet is while editing trying to isolate the speech word for word and filling in the music behind, yes its a pain in the arse!

That's what I was thinking of doing, but seeing as my editing skills are quite inept at the moment anyway, I'd probably end up deleting everything :lol:
Cheers for your help

TomH1138

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I don't know if this helps at all or not, JetSetWilly, but here's a conversation that I had with Reave about trying to separate the music from the dialogue on the 1986 movie Labyrinth:

http://www.fanedit.org/forums/showt...th-Through-Dangers-Untold&highlight=labyrinth

I haven't actually tried Besweet myself yet, in part because I've had other technical difficulties with Labyrinth that have led to my setting it aside for the time being.

I'm sure that Reaves' advice is sound - I just don't know if it applies in your situation. It's probably worth giving a try, though.

Hope this helps!

TV's Frink

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
besweet separates a 5.1 ac3 file into six separate mono wav files. If your source is 2.0, besweet will not be able to extract a dialogue-only center channel.

JetSetWilly

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TomH1138 said:
I don't know if this helps at all or not, JetSetWilly, but here's a conversation that I had with Reave about trying to separate the music from the dialogue on the 1986 movie Labyrinth:

http://www.fanedit.org/forums/showt...th-Through-Dangers-Untold&highlight=labyrinth

I haven't actually tried Besweet myself yet, in part because I've had other technical difficulties with Labyrinth that have led to my setting it aside for the time being.

I'm sure that Reaves' advice is sound - I just don't know if it applies in your situation. It's probably worth giving a try, though.

Hope this helps!

It's a step in the right direction, but I got so naffed off with BeSweet (it wouldn't convert them, just put a file with 0 bytes in the folder), that I just deleted it out of frustration. However, I've had to resort to drastic measures, and I think I may have come up trumps. I found a version that's 5.1, so I've got that. I just hope it IS 5.1, and not in sodding Dolby Surround again :|

Thanks anyway, I'll try it if this goes belly up.

Just a heads up, it's only gone and bloody worked!! I can now do the idea I had earlier: replace ALL the music, with cues from both Robocop AND Starship Troopers (as they both sound near enough alike anyway), or I might use S.T and something else (probably something else sci-fi-ish)

Uncanny Antman

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Wait...you found a version of Robocop 2 that had discreet dialogue with no music bleed at all? What country is it from? All the versions I've tried still had music bleeding through all the channels.

JetSetWilly

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Uncanny Antman said:
Wait...you found a version of Robocop 2 that had discreet dialogue with no music bleed at all? What country is it from? All the versions I've tried still had music bleeding through all the channels.

I was a little to eager in my posting on that one, UA. I found the speech was higher on the channel 3 track, but I only tried the first few minutes. Unfortunately, there was still music, and I've tried putting it through audacity and doing the invert thing (which still doesn't work), so it looks like I'm going to have to be creative. One thing I did do, was find the theme from the tv show of The Incredible Hulk called The Lonely Man (quite poignant, I think), and I've put it on the scene where Murphy drives by his wife's house (I've shortened it, obviously), and it does near enough mute the music to that scene. Still, I'm always on the look out for a program that can scan the file, and mute the music, but I've more chances of finding Wally/Waldo thank that. If I do find something though, I'll post back and let you know.

JetSetWilly

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Uncanny Antman said:
Dang. Oh well, no worse off than we were before. :)

I know. I'm tearing my hair out at MGM's ineptitude. Surely a movie like Robocop 2 should have had a proper 5.1 sound mix, and not some crappy dolby surround job. Am currently putting it through Goldwave, inverting it, trying noise removal, and then reverting it back. Probably make it ten times worse than before, but it's worth a shot.

Uncanny Antman

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
It's not ineptitude. There are actually very, very few films that are mixed in a way that means they can be pulled apart cleanly. It's always a precious little fan editing gift when you happen upon one. :)

TV's Frink

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The Room's center channel is almost all dialogue only. ;)

tranzor

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Uncanny Antman said:
It's not ineptitude. There are actually very, very few films that are mixed in a way that means they can be pulled apart cleanly. It's always a precious little fan editing gift when you happen upon one. :)

Curious, is it the same sound mix on the MGM blu ray version?

JetSetWilly

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
tranzor said:
Curious, is it the same sound mix on the MGM blu ray version?

It probably is, but I don't think it's been done properly. Either that, or it's the best they could do.

Top Bottom