• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

STAR WARS: Episode I - Return of the Sith

Have to be careful what I say around here.
Jesus. Seriously? Comparing someone's hard work to something that looks like shit is not only disrespectful, it's confusing people for no good reason other than your being too lazy to check the veracity of your own claims. And making blanket statements about something you obviously don't understand (480p as low quality when it's in fact standard DVD quality) is always a bad idea.

I'm not sorry for being harsh. But the reason is this:
I'm sorry, It had been a long time since Ive seen the phantom editor...nowhere near that poor quality. Have to be careful what I say around here.
Apologising, then taking it back saying it's really the others being touchy really annoys me.

Hey, let's give the guy some slack. I did already tell him myself that he shouldn't have made the comparison without making sure it was accurate first. No need to push this into name-calling territory.

I think the important thing to note for new people is that this community does take the quality of fan edits very seriously, which makes it so when you watch an approved fan edit, you can expect that it meets a certain standard regarding technical and story-telling quality. If that quality is later questioned, it can possibly damage the reputation of the editor.

As we move farther away from DVDs (e.g., 480p) being the "gold standard" of quality, I think people are going to be more critical of video quality when a DVD is the source material. Especially when the source DVD itself is not of the best quality, as is the case with R1 TPM.

If anything, we need to make sure people are comparing quality to the source material (which they should own already).

Also, I would posit that it is near impossible to obtain a true equivalence in quality when ripping a DVD, since even if you transcode immediately to a lossless format, the re-encoding to DVD will degrade quality at least slightly. Perhaps not noticeably, but technically. As people are starting to use higher quality TVs, this in fact can become more noticeable.

Man, I'm sure not looking forward to the comments on video quality when my Abyss edit comes out! (that DVD is well-known for its poor video quality...)

theslime,

I understand your point of view, and it rubbed me the wrong way as well. I decided not to say anything though, so as not to start any flame wars. Anyway, i think it's clear based on the comments after his initial one that my edit's video quality is not horrible, and for most people it is equivalent or near equivalent to 480p. In my opinion, the other aspects of my edit far outweigh the possibly sub-480p video quality in terms of overall quality and enjoyment, so I'm not concerned. And I will be releasing a HD version at some point to appease the video quality conisseurs. ;-)

theslime said:
You don't need to be careful, you need to not be a stupid arse.
You need to not devolve into name calling. Consider this a warning.

Duly noted. I just find comments such as the one I reacted to extremely unnecessary and destructive. Apparently you did too, but you're more of a diplomat than I am. Smileys before name-calling - the sign of a good mod. :)

The video quality looked fine to me, but I really am not picky about these things.

When I watched the edit, I didn't have my 5.1 system set up, and a lot of the dialogue got muffled beneath sounds in a system that had to output to just one channel. It sure sounds better now that I have a proper sound system.

Anyway, your edit numbers among those I tell people about when describing the Fanedit scene and why it is awesome.

Menbailee said:
Anyway, your edit numbers among those I tell people about when describing the Fanedit scene and why it is awesome.

wow, thanks Menbailee!

Ok, at the risk of being called names by immature people...I watched this again yesterday, and I am going to try to be more constructive in my criticism. First off, I have always said this is my favorite edit. I don't think I was being insulting saying that there are quality problems, only that I wish there was a way to fix it. I am downloading the AVI now to see if perhaps that makes a difference.

Ok, so here's what I noticed when watching more carefully:

Mostly background images are those that suffer from some kind of quality. In particular, space scenes with planets in the background are particularly noticeable. The planets look pixelated and jagged on the edges. I mean, truly low resolution stuff here. The foreground always seems good quality throughout. For me, it's very distracting and I wish I could get my hands on a better copy because there are no other edits out there that are done as well in being true to the spirit of the movie while removing as much poor acting and foolishness while maintaining pace and entertainment.

So flame away. PS, I don't care if you are annoyed- people ARE way too touchy and way too geeky that I don't say exactly the right thing. Seriously, if that gets you all worked up, get a life.

-

Bornflying79 said:
For me, it's very distracting and I wish I could get my hands on a better copy because there are no other edits out there that are done as well in being true to the spirit of the movie while removing as much poor acting and foolishness while maintaining pace and entertainment.
-

Thanks for the more detailed feedback, and I truly appreciate that you like the choices I made.

I can only tell you that I do plan on making an HD version, which I would think address the visual quality issues you are having problems with. I do apologize, this is my first released edit. But again, a much better quality version WILL be coming. I just need to release my Abyss edit and Ep 2 edit first.

Thanks again for providing constructive feedback, and I am doing my best to get my edits done ASAP (real life sucks).

I will say one other thing, I am watching this on an 89 inch projector screen, which does amplify the effect. Watching on a 15 inch computer screen is next to impossible to really tell any quality issues. I mean no disrespect to the maker of this otherwise perfect edit. I will try to get a screen shot to describe the problem.

seciors said:
Thanks for the more detailed feedback, and I truly appreciate that you like the choices I made.

I can only tell you that I do plan on making an HD version, which I would think address the visual quality issues you are having problems with. I do apologize, this is my first released edit. But again, a much better quality version WILL be coming. I just need to release my Abyss edit and Ep 2 edit first.

Thanks again for providing constructive feedback, and I am doing my best to get my edits done ASAP (real life sucks).

Thanks Seciors. I'm looking forward to it. Perhaps the AVI then coverting to DVD will have better results. Sorry if the tone was slightly negative in my post, it just amazes me how people can get so worked up to the point they feel they need to insult others over something so small. I appreciate your work. Best of luck.

Ok, well, 89 inches???????? I think that kind of explains it! :)

I am sure there are many retail DVDs that have problems at that size too. :)

Regardless though, I hope my HD release (whenever that occurs) will fix things.

Bornflying79 said:
Thanks Seciors. I'm looking forward to it. Perhaps the AVI then coverting to DVD will have better results. Sorry if the tone was slightly negative in my post, it just amazes me how people can get so worked up to the point they feel they need to insult others over something so small. I appreciate your work. Best of luck.

Why aren't you starting with the DVD I posted? That should give you the best results, no?

Yeah I did download the DVD version. Haha, well most DVD's play quite well on the 720p projector. But yeah, if there are any imperfections it shows a lot on that scale :/. But I'm looking for the "Definitive" master copies to keep for my collection. This will be my Episode I, and still waiting on the Adywan ESB coming out hopefully this month.

Strong work. Review posted. You have a new fan in me!

Hey geminigod,

Thanks for watching and for your review!

To answer your questions you posed in the review:
1. Video Quality - I am definitely going to release an HD version of this, most probably after finishing my episode 2. In fact, given that this was my first edit and at this point I've been given some new ideas on how to improve it, I do plan on treating what I released as a work print and will make some additional modifications.
2. Musical Score - yes, I'm sure there are places that need to be fixed. I believe I have improved in this area and do plan on having a go at making things better when I work on the HD version. Once I start on the HD version I would appreciate your feedback on this subject in more detail.
3. DVD Menus - I admit I have no talent in this area. I also really have no wish to work on these since I don't even watch things on DVD unless I have to (I have an AppleTV and rip DVDs to watch them that way instead). this really is my one 'incompatibility' with the rules of fanedit.org. I'm not sure what the solution is, though.

Anyway, thanks again for watching and especially for posting a review with some good points for how to improve things.

Back
Top Bottom