• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

It's official: I hate viruses!

JetSetWilly

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Yes, my laptop has succumbed to a damn virus that won't let me do any bloody thing. As soon as I reboot, the whole thing locks up. This means my edits are on hold until I can sort it out. The other thing that has really got my back up, is that my files for Evil From Beyond The Stars are in there, and the only option I can do is a full restore, which means I lose everything. Which means starting from scratch on the edit. Not happy at all.

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Damn that sucks hardcore. Can you do Safe Mode to try and repair it? Or at least transfer the files you need to an external drive before you wipe it?

JetSetWilly

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I even tried safe mode, and it even locked up in that, so any files I can't transfer over. A full restore was my only option. At least it's working now, and my three completed edits are safe on my portable. I've just got to re-install Vegas and DVD architect now. It's very disheartening, but I can look on the bright side: at least my computer won't be slow as an OAP driver anymore. It just means starting the edit fresh, which I can do. Hopefully.

nOmArch

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
You could of just plugged the drive into another PC and dragged the files off before you restored it or booted into a live environment and copied them onto an external drive.

Frantic Canadian

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
nOmArch said:
You could of just plugged the drive into another PC and dragged the files off before you restored it or booted into a live environment and copied them onto an external drive.

Wouldn't that just cause the uninfected computer to become infected?

JetSetWilly

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
@ nOmArch: I did think of that too, but I don't have access to another PC, otherwise I think I could have saved about a good 50% of the stuff I wanted, including my edit work. The virus took me completely by surprise. I was just zipping up Balboa, and it just locked. Damn it all. This is not winning! Still, at least it's all back up and running, that's the main thing, and it's virus-free (he says with his fingers crossed).

@FC: I'm not sure. Possibly. Plus, it could have been sitting there infecting files like no-ones business.

nOmArch

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
@FC Only if you're not running adequate AV software.

@JSW Hence why I suggested you use a live environment, that way you also circumvent any potential cross contamination as the only data you would be reading from the HDD is the data you chose to backup.

If you're not comfortable with a linux setup there's plenty of windows based ones as well.

JetSetWilly

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I didn't think of using a live environment transfer :-(

emanswfan

Reaction score
Trophy Points
@JetSetWilly Try this, it really works miracles. Not trying to sound like spam here, but it can really remove the worst viruses plus it has an internet browser built in too. If it's a serious virus you'll have to mess with the detection settings a bit though and update the defenitions. I used it to remove a virus I had a while back. http://support.kaspersky.com/viruses/rescuedisk

A little off-topic here, but just thought I'd mention this. Had it two months ago and was a heck of a thing to remove. For the first 30 seconds I saw it, I thought it was real and that "my fanediting days were over". Soon enough I found it was obviously fake. I work for computer security and it's the worst virus you can get these days.

http://botcrawl.com/how-to-remove-the-fbi-moneypak-ransomware-virus-fake-fbi-malware-removal/

JetSetWilly

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
That's near enough the exact same thing I had (Mine was a fake PCeU one). I'll try rescue disc for the next time it happens. Thanks matey.

Top Bottom