• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Hollywood Apocalypse: Electronic Killer / Mad Man

Hmmm... I don't know. I'm kind of torn here. I followed this thread from the beginning and thought the idea was good and really liked the teaser trailer when I first saw it. I didn't watch the two short films when you posted them (and I still haven't watched "The Rise of the Electronic Killers") but watched your full trailer last night.

And it left me feeling... I don't know... kind of asking myself, "Why? What's the purpose of the edit?"

Before you all go on about creating an alternate take on a classic movie, look I'm well aware of what a FanMix is and that a lot of them can be amazing.

Maybe it's my love for "The Terminator" as it is. Maybe it's that there seems to be (and this is my viewpoint) too many "grindhouse/Super8/low-quality-as-a-throwback-to-the-old-school-low-budget-movies" style edits being worked on currently.

Don't get me wrong, I love "Jaws The Sharksploitation Edit", "War of the Stars", "Attack of the Clones: The Super 8 Cut" and "Wolfman: The Super 8 Cut". But right now there 8 edits in the first 3 pages of In-The-Works that are in that style (including this edit). To me, it's kind of a little bit of overkill and maybe I'm just feeling that.

I also watched your Found Footage short film and that kind of confuses me. So, this is like a Grindhouse "Terminator" using Aliens as the backstory? Huh? And the idea of Found Footage doesn't quite fit for that short. You took the scene from Aliens and put the low quality filter on it and re-edited it to make it look like they discovered T-800s, but who was filming it? You said it was filmed by Ellen Ripley and Carter J. Burke, but it's obviously not filmed in the style of handheld "found footage". It is shot and cut like a movie, with angles changing constantly. If the scene had been one long continuous shot that would have sold the "found footage" angle better. (Sorry if this last paragraph sounds harsh.)

I will say that the technical aspects of the edit (and the other edits of yours I watched) were really good. I think you have the potential to make something really great. But for me, this edit doesn't interest me anymore.

I don't want to discourage you from making an edit you want to make and have a passion for. The last thing I would want to do is turn someone off from making fanedits. Just remember, The First Rule of Fanediting is "You Can't Please Everyone."

hey neglify

And it left me feeling... I don't know... kind of asking myself, "Why? What's the purpose of the edit?"

Before you all go on about creating an alternate take on a classic movie, look I'm well aware of what a FanMix is and that a lot of them can be amazing.

i'm not 100% sure what you mean here neg, the same question could be applied to any edit on the site. the whole purpose to fanedit.org is to create an alternative experience to a film we own, so the fact we own the film means we like the film

Maybe it's my love for "The Terminator" as it is. Maybe it's that there seems to be (and this is my viewpoint) too many "grindhouse/Super8/low-quality-as-a-throwback-to-the-old-school-low-budget-movies" style edits being worked on currently.

Don't get me wrong, I love "Jaws The Sharksploitation Edit", "War of the Stars", "Attack of the Clones: The Super 8 Cut" and "Wolfman: The Super 8 Cut". But right now there 8 edits in the first 3 pages of In-The-Works that are in that style (including this edit). To me, it's kind of a little bit of overkill and maybe I'm just feeling that.

i know what you mean as i feel the same about every star wars prequel edit posted, i have no interest in seeing them as i have no love for the actual films. but i do disagree with your comment as my opinion is always that faneditors influence other faneditors and just because TMBTM has made two of the best grindhouse edits (an influence on my edit) it doesn't mean that no one should ever do another grindhouse edit.

so tell me neglify how would you feel if suddenly lots of b/w film noir edits started to appear after seeing your payback edit?

I also watched your Found Footage short film and that kind of confuses me. So, this is like a Grindhouse "Terminator" using Aliens as the backstory? Huh? And the idea of Found Footage doesn't quite fit for that short. You took the scene from Aliens and put the low quality filter on it and re-edited it to make it look like they discovered T-800s, but who was filming it? You said it was filmed by Ellen Ripley and Carter J. Burke, but it's obviously not filmed in the style of handheld "found footage". It is shot and cut like a movie, with angles changing constantly. If the scene had been one long continuous shot that would have sold the "found footage" angle better. (Sorry if this last paragraph sounds harsh.)

it's just a bit of fun, trying to promote an edit differently rather than posting clips, you don't need to see them in order follow the edit. if you see the edit (by the sounds of it you won't be) there is a little reference to these shorts.

I don't want to discourage you from making an edit you want to make and have a passion for. The last thing I would want to do is turn someone off from making fanedits. Just remember, The First Rule of Fanediting is "You Can't Please Everyone."

you could never do that neglify, but i respect your honesty and hope you give it try when it's out

i will say this what your seeing right now is a very small part to a much larger concept

leeroy said:
i do disagree with your comment as my opinion is always that faneditors influence other faneditors and just because TMBTM has made two of the best grindhouse edits (an influence on my edit) it doesn't mean that no one should ever do another grindhouse edit.

I never said nobody should do a grindhouse edit ever again. My exact words:

Neglify said:
Maybe it's that there seems to be (and this is my viewpoint) too many "grindhouse/Super8/low-quality-as-a-throwback-to-the-old-school-low-budget-movies" style edits being worked on currently.

I myself was about to start on an edit of Scream that would have been sourced from the uncut VHS and all music replaced with Dario Argento's band, Goblin. But after seeing how many grindhouse/super 8/intentional low quality/music replacement edits are currently being worked on I decided to scrap it.

I'm not saying that all of these edits should be cancelled or that they have no value. It's just that for me, my Scream idea now is just another one of those types of edit and I'm not interested in it anymore.

leeroy said:
so tell me neglify how would you feel if suddenly lots of b/w film noir edits started to appear after seeing your payback edit?

Of course I would be flattered by it, but truthfully, if there were a whole bunch of B&W noir edits coming out at once I would probably feel annoyed that more people weren't coming up with original ideas.

Not to get too far off track, but one of my personal rules is to try and only edit movies that haven't been done before. And I love it when I see a fresh film get edited.

This is not to say that any movie that's already been edited should never again be edited. What I'm saying is that an untouched movie getting edited is a breath of fresh air for me.

leeroy said:
i'm not 100% sure what you mean here neg, the same question could be applied to any edit on the site. the whole purpose to fanedit.org is to create an alternative experience to a film we own, so the fact we own the film means we like film

Here was my train of thoughts when I watched your trailer.

"Why? Why make The Terminator a grindhouse film? It doesn't need that treatment, it's perfect how it is.... Oh shi... What does this say about my Giallo Cut of Scream? No no no, that's different... Is it though? .... GDISM. All right eff doing that Scream edit. What would be the point of it? .... Damn, what's the point of doing any fanedit, really? Unless it's a FanFix... but damn, I don't know... "

"Why? Why make The Terminator a grindhouse film? It doesn't need that treatment, it's perfect how it is.... Oh shi... What does this say about my Giallo Cut of Scream? No no no, that's different... Is it though? .... GDISM. All right eff doing that Scream edit. What would be the point of it? .... Damn, what's the point of doing any fanedit, really? Unless it's a FanFix... but damn, I don't know... "

Why? Probably for the fun of it, why else? Speaking Personally, I can say after having seen various drafts of this edit that it`s great fun to watch and loaded with new creative ideas, just because it is a grindhouse type edit does in no way make it less of an edit than a non-grindhoused edit, I think he`s put alot of fun and creativity into this and it works like a charm. I hope i`m not being rhetorical and sturring anything up more, i guess i just can`t relate to you`re attitude, and i think you`re reasoning for scrapping you`re idea for that project, Neg, was a bit... uh... no, i guess i just disagree with you on this whole thing is all. Except for the Terminator being perfect ;)

Rogue-theX said:
Why? Probably for the fun of it, why else? Speaking Personally, I can say after having seen various drafts of this edit that it`s great fun to watch and loaded with new creative ideas, just because it is a grindhouse type edit does in no way make it less of an edit than a non-grindhoused edit, I think he`s put alot of fun and creativity into this and it works like a charm.

That's good really. I hope that I'm wrong about the edit. And like I said before, Leeroy's editing skills have shown to be really good. In no way do I want him to stop editing.

And as far as the grindhousing thing, I don't know, maybe I'm kind of like a hipster when it comes to fanedits. The more popular and mainstream it becomes, the less I like it. I fully admit I'm weird when it comes to what I like and don't like.

I guess it also comes down to personal tastes in movies. A fun cheesy action flick can be entertaining, but I prefer movies that are more artistic and have compelling characters that I can watch multiple times and every time it's just as awesome.

And as far as the grindhousing thing, I don't know, maybe I'm kind of like a hipster when it comes to fanedits. The more popular and mainstream it becomes, the less I like it. I fully admit I'm weird when it comes to what I like and don't like.

I’ve often felt that the term grindhouse gets a bad rep on the site and I can understand why, but please reconsider your scream edit as I said before editors influence editors. and just because there are similar types of edits, I see as good thing. it's never stopped anyone from doing a star wars prequel edit has it :)

...and rogue thanks for the comment :)

Very interesting posts lately on this thread. Speaking for myself, I am very excited by this edit. I have really enjoyed the "short" edits which relate and lead up to the main edit to come and from what I've seen so far, as perfect as Terminator definitely is, I will still be watching The Electronic Killer with a couple of beers and big bowl of popcorn ;)

LastSurvivor said:
Very interesting posts lately on this thread. Speaking for myself, I am very excited by this edit. I have really enjoyed the "short" edits which relate and lead up to the main edit to come and from what I've seen so far, as perfect as Terminator definitely is, I will still be watching The Electronic Killer with a couple of beers and big bowl of popcorn ;)

Sounds like a perfect evening to me!:)

big announcement regarding the edit to be revealed soon ;-)

Is this something new or connected to the E.K. edit?

You definitely know how to get one's attention!:)

Oh, is this a double feature now? if so, that lends itself much much better to the Grindhouse theme.

And let me apologize for earlier comments. Looking over everything again this looks like a fairly well thought out edit. At the very least your little shorts are a great way to create excitement for the edit.

urgetokillfading.jpg

This looks so crazy! I am LOVING it!!!!
More! I want more!:lol:

And I was wondering how some mysterious Demolition Man edit thread got to six pages of posts so fast without me noticing! :lol:

Awesomeness all around! Go Leeroy & Rogue!

Rogue-theX said:

Maybe a little too much wobble with the rating at the beginning. It looks like unnatural wobble and contrasts with the steadiness of the rest of the video.

This new trailer looks like a Kubrick's grindhoused action packed lost movie, with this music. :flame:

Neglify said:
Oh, is this a double feature now? if so, that lends itself much much better to the Grindhouse theme.

Yep, its a double feature, been that way all along actually we just never mentioned it before ;)

bionicbob said:
This looks so crazy! I am LOVING it!!!!
More! I want more!:lol:
sgtjohnposter.jpg

Stay tuned for more...

geminigod said:
Maybe a little too much wobble with the rating at the beginning. It looks like unnatural wobble and contrasts with the steadiness of the rest of the video.

I think it's okay for the trailer, looks just fine to me, but i get what your saying. :)

TMBTM said:
This new trailer looks like a Kubrick's grindhoused action packed lost movie, with this music. :flame:

:eek: :lol:

Back
Top Bottom