• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

A funny little thing I did to Return of the Jedi

TomH1138

Reaction score
Trophy Points
This idea has been at the back of my mind for a while, so I decided to just go ahead and do it today.

I don't have grand ideas for all of RotJ, but I just wanted to mess with the ending a little bit.

Of course, there are already two different types of music for the ending ("Now there are two of them!"): the original 1983 version, and the version that's been in place since 1997. (Of course, when you count the footage changes, there were also more revisions in 2004.)

So I decided to try yet another piece of Star Wars music in the final scene. Further explanation below the link (I apologize in advance for the video quality):

Part of it is just me being cheeky. But part of it is tying Ep. VI back to Ep. I thematically by using the same music.

I don't really have any further plans for this. But I'm curious on people's opinion on how well the music substitution works.

kill-it-with-fire-random-29296574-256-192.gif

Hm... considering that Ep.I ending is a cheerful variation of Emperor's theme, I don't see how the music fits thematically at the end of Ep.VI.

Btw. Out of curiosity, am I the only one who thinks that Yub Nub is the worst piece of sh... uh... *Sean Connery impersonation* shoundtrack... piece of shoundtrack... in the OT SW trilogy?

Throw: LOL!

Seriously, though, I didn't realize anyone had that much distaste for the Ep. I music. Or is it the Ewoks that you're setting on fire?

Hm... considering that Ep.I ending is a cheerful variation of Emperor's theme, I don't see how the music fits thematically at the end of Ep.VI.

Huh. That's the Emperor's theme? I never noticed that before. I heard the other musical variations that John Williams did in Ep. I, but I didn't catch that one.

At any rate, I just meant musically tying the first celebration to the last celebration. I wasn't referring to any specific characters.

Btw. Out of curiosity, am I the only one who thinks that Yub Nub is the worst piece of sh... uh... *Sean Connery impersonation* shoundtrack... piece of shoundtrack... in the OT SW trilogy?

You're not the first person I've heard (read) to say that. I suppose it could be considered too cutesy and silly. I kind of like the '97 version, but it's a bit too slow and mellow for what should be an upbeat celebration. At least, that's my taste.

All I was mainly asking people is how well the music fit the footage. I had to leave out all the extra celebration from the special editions, speed the footage up slightly to 110%, and slow the music down to 97%. It took me a while to find a happy medium, but I don't think the changes are very noticeable. What do others think?

TomH1138 said:
Throw: LOL!

Seriously, though, I didn't realize anyone had that much distaste for the Ep. I music. Or is it the Ewoks that you're setting on fire?

I don't have distaste for Ep I music. I love just about everything John Williams has done, and honestly the music is probably the best thing about the prequels. The thing I have distaste for is editing the OT to fit in line more with the PT. Distaste probably isn't a strong enough word. I'm not even sure if hate is a strong enough word...

I kinda like the Victory Celebration score.

Ha brilliant. I actually really like that piece of music and I enjoy the celebration ending of Phantom Menace. I thought it worked really well.

Except for Hayden Christensen of course, he should *not* be in that scene! =)

Um, no. As if ROTJ wasn't lighthearted enough.

It's not that it isn't a great piece of music, but it just doesn't fit. That's all :)

Huh. That's the Emperor's theme? I never noticed that before. I heard the other musical variations that John Williams did in Ep. I, but I didn't catch that one.

At any rate, I just meant musically tying the first celebration to the last celebration. I wasn't referring to any specific characters.

In terms of editing and applying music to the footage I think you did a good job. It's hard to tell if sped up footage took a toll on the video quality because of the, well, video quality. But the only place where the music doesn't fit absolutely at all is the shot where an Ewok is hitting the helmet-drums. But other than that, it looks good.

However. The EpI victory celebration music is kinda ironic. It's a cheerful celebration theme, but at the same time it's the Emepror's theme, meaning that there kinda is nothing to celebrate - he's the one who's coming on top. So it feels weird listening to it at the end of EpVI. At least to me.

You're not the first person I've heard (read) to say that. I suppose it could be considered too cutesy and silly.

Nah, cutesy and silly I can take. It's just that I consider Yub Nub to be plainly and simply bad music.

ThrowgnCpr said:
I don't have distaste for Ep I music. I love just about everything John Williams has done, and honestly the music is probably the best thing about the prequels. The thing I have distaste for is editing the OT to fit in line more with the PT. Distaste probably isn't a strong enough word. I'm not even sure if hate is a strong enough word...

Ha ha ha!!! OK, completely understood now. :)

Yeah, if I had copies of the '06 DVDs, I would have gone with Sebastian Shaw instead of Hayden Christensen. And there's certainly a part of me that would just rather deny the existence of the prequels altogether. But I like the music, and I thought it was a fun experiment, for whatever it's worth.

Farlander said:
In terms of editing and applying music to the footage I think you did a good job. It's hard to tell if sped up footage took a toll on the video quality because of the, well, video quality. But the only place where the music doesn't fit absolutely at all is the shot where an Ewok is hitting the helmet-drums. But other than that, it looks good.

Thanks! Yeah, I tried to upload it as an AVI and the file was too big for Vimeo. (A video in a better format that was less than 5 minutes long was too big for Vimeo.) I just had one of my Star Wars videos blocked on YouTube, so I'm not posting any more SW videos on that site. So I had to upload it in a crappy format just to get it online at all.

Great point about the Ewok drumming.

Farlander said:
However. The EpI victory celebration music is kinda ironic. It's a cheerful celebration theme, but at the same time it's the Emepror's theme, meaning that there kinda is nothing to celebrate - he's the one who's coming on top. So it feels weird listening to it at the end of EpVI. At least to me.

Heh, heh. Yeah, it certainly is ironic, although it wasn't intentional when I made it. (Refresh my memory - was Palpatine even in the final celebration of TPM? I ask because I've never connected him with that scene at all.)

Could you recommend a piece of music from RotJ that really accentuates the Emperor's theme? I want to listen to them side-by-side to get a comparison to this music?

Farlander said:
Nah, cutesy and silly I can take. It's just that I consider Yub Nub to be plainly and simply bad music.

You're certainly entitled to that. I thought that the Ewok Celebration fit the mood and tone of the scene - it was about teddy bears throwing a party, after all. :)

QuickCut said:
I kinda like the Victory Celebration score.

You mean the '97 version? (I tend to think of the music from the end of I, IV, and VI - both versions - generically in my mind as "the Victory Celebration.")

(Refresh my memory - was Palpatine even in the final celebration of TPM? I ask because I've never connected him with that scene at all.)

Yeah, he is. He also announces that he was elected Chancellor (thanks to everything that happened on Naboo), so it's certainly a victory for him :)

Could you recommend a piece of music from RotJ that really accentuates the Emperor's theme? I want to listen to them side-by-side to get a comparison to this music?

Hm... You can listen to this, starting at 1:07

Wow. I must have heard that track a hundred times, but without your pointing it out, I don't think I ever would have noticed the similarities between the two tracks. Very subtle (but brilliant) on Williams' part!

OK, since nobody liked my previous version (oh, well), here's a new attempt with different SW music:

though it's OT, this one fits even less IMHO.

Sorry, it just doesn't work. The theme is very ceremonial, and the opening brass is indicative of the start of a formal ceremony in front of a court of people. It seems incredibly out of place in a forest setting where everyone is celebrating in their own, relaxed way.

ThrowgnCpr said:
though it's OT, this one fits even less IMHO.

Sorry, it just doesn't work. The theme is very ceremonial, and the opening brass is indicative of the start of a formal ceremony in front of a court of people. It seems incredibly out of place in a forest setting where everyone is celebrating in their own, relaxed way.

Sorry to say, but +1 on that. Maybe you could find a non-SW piece that would fit?

Back
Top Bottom