• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

JOHN CARTER

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
nOmArch said:
Much better trailer but the movie still looks a bit meh to me, it really should of been made 20 years ago, as it stands it just looks a little cliched and derivative.

I suppose it all depends on perspective.

If you never watched the 1977 Star Wars before and watched it today for the first time,
you would probably feel the same way, as it has been copied to death since its premiere.
But that does not stop it from still being a fun movie.:)

Sunarep

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
bionicbob said:

If you never watched the 1977 Star Wars before and watched it today for the first time,
you would probably feel the same way, as it has been copied to death since its premiere.

Still there are no movies out (except parodies) that feature Lightsabers ;)

nOmArch

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
bionicbob said:

Totally agree with that, same thing happened to me with George Carlin, by the time I got around to him it seemed like I'd heard a lot of it before and it wasn't that funny.

Hopefully I'll still enjoy the books. :)

TMBTM

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Sunarep said:
Still there are no movies out (except parodies) that feature Lightsabers ;)

Not even... Star Crash?

starcrash2.jpg

Ok, almost a parody. Right, right...

white43

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
How John Carter should have been promoted:

white43

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I sat with a friend yesterday who pretty much had no idea who or what John Carter was. I showed him the fan trailer and he said he would be interested in seeing the film. I showed him the official trailer and he said based on that trailer, he wouldn't want to see the film.

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
It really bugs me. :frusty:

Hunger Games, based on a best selling novel, earned 144 million so far this opening weekend.

John Carter, based on a revolutionary sci-fi novel that has been around 100 years, earned not so much.:p

MusicEd921

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
It just goes to show how effective a trailer can be.

I was talking to some friends last night about the movie and my one friend said it looked too much like Prince of Persia which I wholeheartedly agreed and even said myself.

Bottom line, had I not read the book beforehand, I would not have gone to see the movie. The trailers are horrible and with so much money riding on this to be a franchise, Disney should have gotten an experienced director. Whoever thought it was a good idea to let this be Stanton's first live action movie is a schmuck!

Don't get me wrong, I'm thankful we got what we got. I'm just tired of Hollywood's half-assing movies that could be classics and dumping their resources into that emo vampire with the shirtless wolf and the whiny (but cute) girl.

Sunarep

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
musiced921 said:
It just goes to show how effective a trailer can be.

I was talking to some friends last night about the movie and my one friend said it looked too much like Prince of Persia which I wholeheartedly agreed and even said myself.

Bottom line, had I not read the book beforehand, I would not have gone to see the movie. The trailers are horrible and with so much money riding on this to be a franchise, Disney should have gotten an experienced director. Whoever thought it was a good idea to let this be Stanton's first live action movie is a schmuck!

Don't get me wrong, I'm thankful we got what we got. I'm just tired of Hollywood's half-assing movies that could be classics and dumping their resources into that emo vampire with the shirtless wolf and the whiny (but cute) girl.

hunger games's marketing was incredibly perfect
i wondered in january if they were able to just force another sensation to happen and wow they did, people went nuts...
on the other side Hunger Games is also doing better critically than John Carter so this time the teen-girl success is not something universally despised (like twilight)

TMBTM

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Sunarep said:
hunger games's marketing was incredibly perfect
I actualy found the Hunger Game's trailer completely uninteresting.

Sunarep

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TMBTM said:
I actualy found the Hunger Game's trailer completely uninteresting.

I found the trailer pretty uninteresting as well.... but we old farts are not the target audience for this ;)

on the other side we get hyped for prometheus a trailer whcih leaves many casual moviegoers cold - for whatever reason

Nic

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'm hoping the DVD has a deleted scene where we actually get to see John with his family and then they die. I love the movie, but if the movie skipped the first two prologues of the fight on Mars and John avoiding the immortals and start with him and his family and then him mining for gold, then the audience can better connect with John and we're more willing to follow him through his journey. Also, maybe try and see if the movie can be edited so that it doesn't seem to be telling people the reasons why everything is happening. We don't need to be told why to care about the events occurring WHILE the events are occurring. This article explains it better than I do.

http://badassdigest.com/2012/04/08/film-crit-hulk-smash-hulk-vs-the-john-carter-script/

nOmArch

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Just finished watching it and I gotta say I really enjoyed it! Kitsch is great and does a good job IMO, just hope we get a sequel.

I also would like to own a Woola :)

elbarto1

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
agree. its a solid family friendly adventure film. marketing really killed this one because the film itself - actors/writing/direction/effects - are all really well done. hope it finds a big following on dvd/blu so a sequel can be made. if riddick can do it so can john carter :)

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
elbarto1 said:
agree. its a solid family friendly adventure film. marketing really killed this one because the film itself - actors/writing/direction/effects - are all really well done. hope it finds a big following on dvd/blu so a sequel can be made. if riddick can do it so can john carter :)

I counting the days to the dvd release!!! Bring it on!

Though based on the lame, ugly dvd cover art, it does not look like Disney is putting a lot of effort in to it. Hopefully there will be some great bonus features and good quality deleted scenes.

johncarterbdcombopackbo.jpg

baileym43

Reaction score
Trophy Points
John Carter. looking at himself in the distance, turning away in disgust.
i look forward to picking this up in the inevitable walmart 5 dollar bin so i can watch your edit instead, bBob.
because i know it will be a labor of love.

emphatic

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Watched this finally. Loved it, 4/5. That cover sucks though, will print my own when I pick up the Bluray.

elbarto1

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
cover art is pretty nauseating. yeah no effort whatsoever - youd think theyd at the very least put the princess on there as well. or maybe one of those flying machines, or maybe one of the tharks or maybe ANYTHING that was relevant to the film beside the 30seconds we got of the white ape!!

regardless the film was great even if the trailers and cover art were epic shit.

edit - oh hey there are some of those things on there really tiny and faded in the distance. meh. still sucks ass. anyone here can shop up a better cover in 5 minutes.

Top Bottom