• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

New 5.1 mix too loud, weirdly balanced?

thebutcher

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hey guys. I've been previewing my 5.1 mix on my home theater and, while the results are satisfying, I've been noticing that all the tracks seem too loud. I compared with the original audio from the source DVD and the levels seem more balanced, the rears especially.

For example purposes, when I preview my mix, I have to keep my amp volume around 29-31, but when I try the original audio on the DVD, I put it closer to 40.

Any ideas what the problem is, or how to fix it? Thanks! (Hope that made sense!)

What program are you using for your editing?

I split the 5.1 mix into 6 mono WAVs with Hypercube and I've been editing them on Vegas 8.0.

A screenshot of your Vegas project may be helpful.

I'm using Vegas Studio 9.0, so I'm not sure if the settings are different from Pro 8.0 (or Studio 8.0, for that matter, not sure which you are using). In my program, there is a master volume panel (I think it's called sound mixer or something) that can change volume of each track. There's also a slider to change each track at the far left side of the timeline. Did you change anything in either one of these at any point?

I'm using Vegas Pro 8.0. Every original track is still at 0.0db on both their master volume slider (far left) and their volume envelope bar (in the timeline).

Then I am out of ideas (being fairly new to this myself). Hopefully a more experienced member can help. Good luck.

Thanks anyway! Like I said, it's not really a "problem" per se. My mix is still listenable, just louder and more of a "keep the volume remote close" kind of thing. I'm just curious as to why it's not the same as the original DVD. If it's easily fixable, I'll do it, if not, it'll stay that way.

Theoretically you could adjust all the channels down to try and match the original, and then change the rears separately to try and get the balance right.

@the op

You might be encoding your audio without setting dialnorm. That could very well explain why your mix sounds louder than the mix on the DVD -- assuming it was Dolby Digital, of course.

What is this process and how do I go about doing this? I'm encoding my audio with Dolby Digital AC-3 Studio (.ac3) in the Vegas render options BTW.

I don't use Vegas, but there's a good thread here on dialog normalization with input from Vegas users.

Thanks I'll check that out. (but good God, does that seem complicated! haha)

For certain yours sounds louder because the original DVD audio was AC3 audio with dialogue normalization settings that you lost when you extracted to wav files. I wrote up a whole guide for this some time back... lol. nevermind. CK beat me to it with his link above.

Unfortunately it is a bit of a confusing topic. Keep in mind that although I advocated pretty strongly in that guide to use the film light dynamic range compression setting, many viewers will probably prefer the tighter range with "film standard." It is a subjective matter of hardware and listening environment as to which setting is preferable.

Back
Top Bottom