• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

New stuff for PC

nOmArch

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
white43 said:
Ta. Where does it say it reads BR?

It doesn't anymore, when I looked that drive up yesterday in the small description in the list it said BR compatible. I was a little surprised as the price was extremely good.

Anyway, heres A BR-Rom/DL RW for £39.99

http://www.ebuyer.com/271997-lg-gbc-h20n-6x-bd-rom-with-dvd-rw-with-dl-ram-sata-blu-ray-gbc-h20n

Although if you're going to be spending that much you might as well get the one you linked to as that'll burn BR's as well and should futureproof you for the foreseeable.

geminigod

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I have very high praise for my Pioneer BD writing drive that I have had for a while now. There is something to be said for going for reliable names, even if they cost more, when it comes to disc drives. You will pay dearly in the long run for the few dollars saved on some shit brand like Memorex.

white43

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I bought a cheap-ass Lite-On, £12.99 with free postage from Play.com. That should tide me over. I have no desire or need to read/burn BR at present.

elbarto1

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
any of you rich dorks have any oddball boot issues w/ the OSZ vertex 2? I have one and almost every coldboot the drive just plain isnt recognized. I have since given up on the issue because OSZ is ABSOFUCKINGLUTELY useless when it comes to this issue.

besides this minor issue I adore the SSD, just need a bigger one as 80GB is nice for OS but leaves little to play with after high traffic apps are installed.

Q2

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I have that drive and don't have any issues. Have you updated the drives firmware? I think it's at 1.33. Have you made sure the drive is using AHCI? If not that could be the problem. Also check your motherboards BIOS and make sure you have the latest version.

nOmArch

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
No AHCI on my board and my Vertex runs fine.

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
running fine on my machine too. no problems. do you have the boot priority set so that the SSD is first?

Q2

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
elbarto1 said:
any of you rich dorks have any oddball boot issues w/ the OSZ vertex 2? I have one and almost every coldboot the drive just plain isnt recognized. I have since given up on the issue because OSZ is ABSOFUCKINGLUTELY useless when it comes to this issue.

Can you give us more details? What motherboard do you have? What SATA port is the drive connected to? And is the error just from a cold boot, but if you reset it boots fine?

nOmArch

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Actually I tell a lie I did have a little trouble getting it working when I first got mine. The problem was I simply swapped my primary drive for the SSD and installed windows to it. The problem came when I tried to boot and because I'd left the original system partition alone on the primary drive it kept trying to boot from that partition and got it knickers in a knot.

elbarto1

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I cannot update the drives firmware but i cannot recall why [been a while since i even looked into it] . I have the boot sequence set to [i forget the name] but it essentially does a scan/check of all the memory and components before POST - this usually gives the drive enough time to "warm up" and boot normally. adds about 45sec to the start up process.

I believe I am set to ACHI and the sata port is 1 [IIRC]. also It is set to the first drive in the boot sequence.

http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/f...-on-cold-boot-warm-boot-works-just-fine/page5

I have the same problems here... although not as frequent, seems to be 1 or 2 out of every 10 cold boots the vertex 2 just plain doesnt show up for work, power cycling 1-3 times usually makes it come around. too bad as this was my first experience w/ a ssd.

Tried to update the firmware (i am on 1.2.7) w/ linux usb installer as well as using the win7 disc via cmd line but none of the suggested methods work for me, will likely pull the drive over the weekend and attempt to upgrade the FW on a separate rig as a secondary drive, but I dont hold much hope in a fix since users w/ 1.2.9 are still reporting the same problems.

Oh well, next time I'll buy a different brand I suppose. Such a shame because when it works, it works rather well.

Q2

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'd say try updating the firmware again you can. The firmware and install program are here. I actually did this about two weeks ago and it was really easy. No problems at all.

elbarto1

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I remember now - it wont update "the easy way" because its the primary boot drive.
the linux updater jaun just plain will not work for me for god knows what reason.
I need to yank the drive and update it on another system.
Thanks though.

Q2

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
elbarto1 said:
I remember now - it wont update "the easy way" because its the primary boot drive.
the linux updater jaun just plain will not work for me for god knows what reason.
I need to yank the drive and update it on another system.
Thanks though.

That shouldn't be the case as I updated mine no problem and it too is the primary drive.

Top Bottom