• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Burning SL vs DL DVDs

asocialjester

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Is there a difference between a single-layer and dual-layer version of the fanedits? I'm burning some fanedit DVDs right now and realized there are dual-layer dvd versions of some of them; Are those better than the single-layer versions in terms of picture or sound quality? Apologies in advance for the n00b question, and thanks.

DL's take up twice as much disc space (the data is stored on two layers instead of one). Typically (but not always) a DL will have better quality than a SL due to the extra data. Blank discs come in SL and DL versions, you need to buy DL discs to burn a DL edit.

I think he was refering to the actual SL vs. DL versions of the edits and not the discs themselves Frink. I've never downloaded any DL edits but from what I've seen the edits that have both SL and DL versions will have extras on the DL version and none, or less, on the SL version.

Whoops. Well, the comments about quality still stand, though it varies from edit to edit, obviously. Also, extras vary from edit to edit. Basically, either read the edit description, download both versions, or ask in the forum about the specific edit.

Any more questions? :p

Thanks Frink, you got my question right. So if I want the best quality, DL is the way to go. Thanks to Frantic Canadian too; good to know that DL versions have the extras.

I'll have more n00b questions once I start editing, lol

To be clear, some SL releases have extras too. It all depends on which edit you are talking about.

Back
Top Bottom