• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

skyline [2010]

elbarto1

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
ok I know this will be crap, but the previews really look cool.
why so pessimistic, you ask? - the director(s) are the brothers strauss who gave us AvP:R - they do top notch effects work from their in house studio "hydraulix" but their skill ends there.
still... i love a good sci-fi movie. maybe they learned "what not to do" from their first outing in the directors chair - at least we can see whats going on this time ;)

I think that looks fucking awesome, and will at the very least make a sweet fanedit.

Looks like it could be fun, but very cliched lines. "Is it morning already?" "We have to get out of the city as fast as possible!" "We don't know what they're capable of!"

Ugh.

Yeah, I'm not sure why Hollywood is nearly incapable of making a big sci-fi movie without cheesy dialogue. Even for the dumb consumer that they're trying to appeal to, it seems shitty.

Whatever the quality of the theatrical/retail release, I agree with reave. In the proper hands, this could provide one hell of a fanedit.

I see an ID4/Skyline merged edit in the making.

Trailers look great, can't wait to see this.

I had no idea this movie was coming, and just yesterday I saw a TV spot about it; as people have expressed, it could take a turn for the worse very easily.

But hey I see that guy Eric Balfour got his first leading man gig, I've liked his acting since his Six Feet Under days and he's doing pretty well nowadays on the Syfy Stephen King based series Haven; it's good to see newish faces who can act for a change.

Also, can't complain at all about this other cast member:

IMDb reviews and a 25% critical rating on Rotten Tomatoes are pretty negative on this one. I expected as much but its still a shame that sci-fi constantly remains a "b-movie" genre for the most part.

The negative comments once again point to the actors, directors and script as the weak links which always makes me say "why do the people involved not see these problems at the script writing stage" I mean bad dialog/plot is usually pretty easy to spot no matter what form of media it is in. Perhaps we faneditors have a more honed eye for such issues - but I mean damn, is it really that hard to write decent dialog/narrative for an alien invasion flick? I get having to hire bad/unskilled actors considering the small budget of this picture ($10mil) but still an actor can only do so much w/ the material, or maybe the Brothers Strauss are just that inept.

While I will still rent this flick someday I am sad to hear that it is being reviewed as another lame sci-fi POS.

I'm surprised, it basically is my inverted prediction:
i expected skyline to be at least interesting and unstopable to be a trainwreck (pun not intended)
but it seems like unstopable is innocent fun while skyline is just meh

well IMO, most Denzel/Tony Scott films are relatively entertaining and competently made. I liked both Man on Fire and Deja Vu - as well as most non Denzel Tony Scott films - even if he is a Michael Bay wannabe. Unstoppable looks pretty thin but you know the actors can deliver and the action should be on par w/ other Scott films.

The Brothers Strauss are great at VFX but have yet to prove they can direct - and them always hiring (or being stuck w/) no-grade talent actors doesnt help them dig their way out of their hole.

If I had to see either film for free - I'd pick skyline because I love aliens and scifi but if I had to guess which would be the "better" film - I'd bet on Unstoppable - even both look less than good.

well, I'll probably catch up with Paranormal Activity this weekend and Wednesday is finally potter time :d

This film is being slated over at aititcool.com.....I may watch on DVD when it comes out.....

Sounds like this will turn into a nice Fanedit, but I will be waiting to watch the BD in my home theater.

Still interested in seeing this movie, even it has gotten bad reviews. Trailers looked great.

Well, I'm off to see it tonight! Will report back.....

A night in with the Brothers Strause:
"Dude, we should watch War of the Worlds(remake) and ID4."
"Cool man."
"How about Cloverfield?."
"And play some Half Life."
10 hours later.....
"Dude, I have this awesome idea!!!!"

Aliens arrive and start spoiling for rumble.
Humankind fights back unsuccessfully.
The end.

FX are nice.

yep, just a terrible, terrible film - fx are very nice considering everyone involved in the making of this comes from an fx background. and I did like the ending but it doesnt really go anywhere. avoid unless you are a hopeless sci-fi fan.
3/10

Back
Top Bottom