• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Missing Status Bar (Firefox question)

Frantic Canadian

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I just installed the new Firefox 4.0 Beta 7 yesterday and there is no Status Bar at the bottom of the screen. I've looked everywhere and I can't seem to find the option to add it in. Does anyone know what I have to do to get it to show up?

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Am I missing something, or does that article indicate it has been moved rather than removed?

white43

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I read it that elements seem to have been moved to new locations in order to remove the status bar.

TV's Frink

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Oops, you're right.

white43

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
It's not a good move. Why do they do things like this? I could be in a minority here, but Microsoft's removal of classic menu in Win7 was dumb, really really dumb.

TV's Frink

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
There are so many things that get changed just as an excuse to release a new product and make more money. Sux.

Frantic Canadian

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thanks for the link White43. I added the add-on and got my status bar back, and in the right place too. Hopefully they'll bring it back for the next version.

white43

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I hope so. I'm using Firefox 3.6.12. - I went up to 4 briefly, but had some issues with RS links, so came back. Mozilla - don't make me hate you like Microsoft. Although, it's always nice when somewhen creates a mod to get something back*

*See Windows Classic Shell. :)

theslime

Reaction score
Trophy Points
No offence, White, but I honestly don't get why anyone would want to keep the classic start menu. Vista's sole addition of note was the good search function/application launcher that came as a part of the new start menu (which, also, FINALLY is just a windows logo and not called "start" anymore just to confuse people). I went back, briefly, to XP after using 7 for a while, and starting an application is a labyrinthine task in comparison to the extremely fast mouse-less windows button + first two letters of app name + enter combo that works so well on Vista/7. Also, 7 had LOADS of UI improvements over older versions, like keyboard-based window maximising/resizing (extremely handy). I consider this progress, and really the first Windows UI that doesn't feel like a complete joke when compared to OSX, Gnome or KDE.

If they've managed to properly keep all status bar functionality in the address bar, I welcome Mozilla's move. Chrome managed to strip away pretty much everything not badly needed, and Firefox has been losing a lot of its potential user base (programmers and open source geeks) to Chrome ever since.

I'm all for conservatism in UI design, though. Why change something that works. For instance, MS Office 2007/2010 is an ugly maze - even masking the surprising amounts of improvements it actually contains. But pretty much everything new about Windows 7 was progress, IMHO.

white43

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
None taken - call it what you're used too - I don't find the new menu particularly helpful. I like to see menus expanding out of each other, I find the new method cluttered. Now, fine - some people prefer the new one, but what I don't like is MS actually removing the classic menu, thereby forcing people onto new menu. Win7 is the first operating system since XP that has been any good. Wait, there's only been one hasn't there ;-)

In my office, which is an IT Support dept, all of us have Win7 and have installed Classic Shell. I think this is because for years we've worked with classic menu, as it enabled us to do our job much easier.

And you'd be right in thinking that the second we got Office 2007/2010, we immediately installed 'file menu' for it. :)

theslime

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I can see that. Then again, as long as there are good extensions written for the ones who prefer the classic menu, I guess everyone's happy? That's, in a way, the route Firefox has taken too, with great functionality in addons instead of in the main application. It's all fine with me. It saves bloat. Now there's an FF4 addon for the old status bar too, and I'm fine with that. I customize my FF UI a lot anyway, both with the all-in-one sidebar, tree-style tab on on the right side of the screen, Delicious bookmarks and site-specific Greasemonkey scripts. Opera seems to take the opposite approach. The bundled features are just amazing, and mostly way better than FF. But plugins/addons are not as well handled, so I use FF anyway.

There's a classic file menu for Office 2007? Nice! Thanks for the tip.

Top Bottom