• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Gran Torino

elbarto1

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
While the plot wasnt all that deep or oscar worthy, I am in awe of what a badass Clint Eastwood still is. The man is in his 70's and he is still believable as a tough as nails ass kicker. I loved the film, I found it very funny and heartbreaking, while not anything too groundbreaking Clint delivers (another) commanding performance and reminds me how much of a cinematic treasure he is.

8/10

I second that elbarto1 but considering the options for best film (Oscars) I think Gran Torino should clearly have been nominated and win. It is the best film I have seen in 2008.

I cannot understand the nominations for Benjamin Button, which I feel is a schmaltzy vacuous disaster. Another facet of it's failure are the make-up/CGI effects which become distracting as you are simply waiting for the next Brad transformation.

The Reader has a great performance by Winslett and she deserves an oscar but the film is certainly not great with it's very contrived narrative and plot.

Frost/Niixon is terrible. Nixon was a bad evil man, not a bumbling endearing fool.

Slumdog is good but not great. I would like to see Danny Boyle win best director because it is Film4 and the others are not deserving like Ron Howard or David Fincher.

I hope Rourke wins best Actor and Marisa Tomei as best supporting Actress.

The fact that "Il y a longtemps que je t'aime" (I've Loved You So Long) is not nominated for best foreign film and Kristin Scott Thomas is not even nominated for best actress, just shows how out of step these awards continue to be.

i dunno if it qualifies as i cant rememeber exactly when it came out but i would also put 'let the right one in' as a condidate for best foreign film as well.

just got back from seeing this and i gotta say Clints directing gets better and better. if youve seen the trailer then you'll know that this is a fairly run of the mill story of an embittered old man who takes a young kid under his wing and teaches him how to be a man. yaw yawn yawn.

as with The Wrestler, its a story we've all seen before and have a pretty good idea of how it ends but the magic, so to speak, is in the journey and its a great journey.

its certainly not perfect but well worth a watch if you like decent emotional drama.

I thought it was a great film and wasn't 100% sure of the end until it happened. I enjoyed it.

I loved both films and it surprised me that Torino did not getter better ratings

If it is Clint's last appearance on screen (hope not!) it's a great movie to end a great carriere. It's strong and humble a the same time, as Clint.
I mean, there are other Clint's movies that screams "Look at me! I am a masterpiece!", and most of the time they are. Gran Torino don't try to be the best movie ever made. It's just a great and simple movie.

I just want to say I love Clint Eastwood.

My son is 6 and loves him too, based on the Leone westerns.
Gotta say, the kid has good taste. He does a good Clint impression too...

"That ain't nice you laughin. My mule don't like you laughin... gets the crazy idea you're laughin at him.... now if you just apologize like I know you're going too..."
*SPIT*...
POW POW.... POW POW POW!

So, tell me again how this didn't get an Academy award or two? Is the Academy scared of letting a movie that shows the real America get any actual press?

Wow. That was... amazing. I've never cried in a movie, and I still haven't, but I almost came close at the end... :cry:

QuickCut said:
Wow. That was... amazing. I've never cried in a movie, and I still haven't, but I almost came close at the end... :cry:
Then clearly you've never seen E.T.

Gran Torino was indeed a great film. really enjoyed it.

DominicCobb said:
Then clearly you've never seen E.T.

yes, of course I have, but I didn't cry :p good movie though.

That movie was the last time I saw an entire theater applauding at the end credits of a movie.
I know it's pretty common in some countries (?) but in france it is VERY rare (almost never).

I like to applaud the end of a great film, and people usually join along (US). I tried doing it jokingly at the end of From Paris with Love, and people just kind of stared at me (I think one of my friends actually hit me too). When I saw the Artist last year I think the entire theater clapped for it.

TMBTM said:
That movie was the last time I saw an entire theater applauding at the end credits of a movie.
I know it's pretty common in some countries (?) but in france it is VERY rare (almost never).

Pfft. Clerks 2 got a standing ovation at Cannes. What does that tell you?

Neglify said:
Pfft. Clerks 2 got a standing ovation at Cannes. What does that tell you?

Festivals are not the same thing as a regular showing.

Back
Top Bottom