• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Book that mentions fanedits...

hebrides

Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
While doing some research for my dissertation (for a chapter on a student-made, feature-length, modern adaptation of Othello), I ran across a book called Homemade Hollywood: Fans Behind the Camera by Clive Young (New York: Continuum, 2008 ).

It's a fascinating book about fan films, tracing their history back at least as far as a town that (perhaps knowingly) participated in the creation of a fake Our Gang movie made by two con men in 1926, right up through more modern works like the Pink Five films, Troops, Sandy Collora's Batman: Dead End and World's Finest, and Star Trek New Voyages/Star Trek Phase II (which has its obvious fanedit connection through Jack Marshall).

Towards the end of the book, on page 259, Young also mentions fanedits, describing them as a distinct form of fan film. Judging from the particular edits he cites, it seems likely that he's spent at least some time on fanedit.org (and perhaps he's here now?).

He references (but does not refer to by name) Jack Marshall's Star Trek Phase II: In Thy Image, killbillme's Cast Away Remixed by Jorge, boon's 13 to 30 Extraflirty, and ADigitalMan's Love Actually: Bloated and Flatulent Extended Edition. He also refers to "numerous versions of The Phantom Menace that hack out the dreaded Jar-Jar Binks."

So take a bow, guys; you've crossed over into print! :clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2:

reave

Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Nice find, hebrides! I'm sure boon will be happy for Extra Flirty being the fanedit of his that shows up in the book.

Can you transcribe the rest?

theslime

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Cool! Great find! I was researching academic writing on fanedits last winter for a possible phd project (that never came to fruition, unfortunately), but I somehow never found this book. I will read it for sure.

Kal-El

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Wow, awesome. I'd love to read the full book :)

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
thats really awesome! Thanks for the heads up hebrides. I want to check out this book.

Captain Khajiit

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I have only just seen this thread. That is a fascinating find. Thanks, Hebrides!

hebrides

Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
reave said:
Nice find, hebrides! I'm sure boon will be happy for Extra Flirty being the fanedit of his that shows up in the book.

Can you transcribe the rest?

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing about boon. The author clearly wanted to show the range of films that have received the fanedit treatment, but still...

Re transcribing: not much to transcribe, really; it's all in one short paragraph. My post about the paragraph is already longer than the paragraph itself. Still, maybe later, when I'm back where the book is.

boon23

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
13 to 30 Extraflirty is doing great with whatever little attention it gets :)
Now we've made it to print media. Nice one. There will be more. Some edits are just too good to be ignored.

Omaru1982

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I like flirty, though I don't think it deviates too much from the original film. An edit like 49 first dates however, that's the version that should have been released.

Top Bottom