• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

How To Get Proper Aspect Ratio

Reaction score
Trophy Points
hey i am editing on a pc and i am trying to convert the deleted scenes to 1.85:1 using virtual dub i am using the null transform tool do you know what settings i need to set it on to get this ar and is there another step after using this filter thanks or am i totally off base someone please help

use your maths skills and a calculator.
sizes:
4:3 = 720:480
16:9 = 854:480 = 1.78:1
widescreen mode 1.85:1 = 854:462 (leaving black bars of 18 ; 9 on top / 9 at bottom)
widescreen mode 2.35:1 = 854:363 ( leaving black bars of 117; 58 on top / 59 at bottom)

virtualdub does automatically center the image so top and bottom calculation is not necessary.

so you want to turn 4:3 to 1.85.1
720x480
--> 720 / 1.85 = 389 (that's the new height --> you have to crop 91 px from the video height; for centered crop: 46 from bottom, 45 from top)
get it to 854 width (use lanzcos3 for resize or avisynth which has the better lanzcos4)
--> 854 / 720 = 1.186 --> 389 x 1.186 = 461

as you can see we have 2 different values for height 1.85: 461 and 462. Resizing is not an exact science, but try to stay as accuarte as possible or you audience will notice.

Never use centered cropping, you will cut heads off and delete important information. Cropping is done scene by scene and sometimes even moving in scenes from top to bottom or vice versa or both to get the perfect frame (and even that is not guaranteed, because for some scenes there simply is no perfect cropping as they contain information on both top and bottom that should not be deleted). This is tough and takes super long.
Ergo: to get from 4:3 to 1.85 you have to crop 91 px from each frame for correct AR).

4:3 deleted scenes inserted into a true 1.85 video will show a very visible quality reduction, because you have to resize. While lanzcos is a pretty good resize filter (4 is better than 3), it is not even near perfect. You can achieve better results with the program video enhancer. Still the problem remains that your deleted scenes will always look worse than the original video, except if you degrade the original video to match the quality of the deleted scenes. Of course no one wants that, but it is the only way to get a consistent quality.

Back
Top Bottom