• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Scot Pilgrim vs World [2010]

elbarto1

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
fun movie, really tongue in cheek at times but overall enjoyable provided you like michael cera, since he is always the same character.

7/10 worth a rent.

And a Netflix it'll be. :)

An expanded repost of my thoughts on the movie from a previous thread:

By all accounts, I should have liked this movie much more than what I did and it does have a lot to like about it (the action, the music, the effects, Cera's breaks from his typical type of performance, the music, the Evil Exes are perfectly casted, Kieran Culkin as Wallace Wells is pure comedy gold, oh yeah did I mention the music?).... but.... there are two major issues (along with some minor ones) that I had with this adaptation of the comic:

1. They f*cking neutered the personality of Ramona Flowers :x
(no lie, she has about as much personality as a grey brick wall in this movie)

2. The climax and ending was awful for me:
- One, because there was no reason why Scott or any other person would put that much on the line for Ramona (who again has no semblance of a personality here);
- Two, because Ramona did next to nothing to fight with Scott or improve her situation (very unlike the comics);
- Three, because the film's climax is trying to build up to a different ending than the original's
by trying to rewrite Knives as being Scott's true love and they'll end up together while Ramona goes off on her own, whereas in the comics both Scott and Ramona fight together against Gideon and proceed to try their relationship over again without either of the other's emotional baggage
, but the filmmakers don't have the freakin guts to stick with it, so they try to turn it around and have the film end in a similar manner to the comics... and it just DOESN'T WORK. :|

In my opinion, Cera was just wrong for this film. He performed well in the fight sequences but he has about as much acting range as a peanut. When you're getting out-acted by the comic book version, you should find a new job.
They did a very good job of adapting the comic book for the screen. The book needed a lot of trimming, and it was done well. With regards to changing things like the ending, I just thought it was fun with something more I didn't expect.
I liked the film a lot, but had pretty much anyone else played Scott I would have loved it.

I ended up watching it namely because I love the hell out of the game on PSN. After that I saw the movie and bought the comics (though I'm only about a third into the second vol.)

I loved it and I'll be picking up the film at the end of the month when it gets it's release here, if theres one thing Edgar Wright does well outside of directing, its showering his dvd's with bonus features.

One of which is the slightly shorter ending which I think is truer to the comics.

Omaru1982 said:
After that I saw the movie and bought the comics (though I'm only about a third into the second vol.).... .... One of which is the slightly shorter ending which I think is truer to the comics.
Aren't you going to be in for a surprise... :icon_rolleyes:

EDIT: I did not see that movie, but:

Sometime there are big movies that I really do not care about, at all. This movie is one of them.

I don't care about the "video game-like" story, (and seriously, why do I have to care if that guy has trouble with ex BFs of his new GF?),
I don't care about the actors (Cera is unknown to me. But I feel that I do not need to know him),
I don't care about the directing style. Not against new way of filmaking, I just feel it's not for me.
And if I want to listen good music I just play my mp3 (or better: sit on an armchair with a good whisky and play an album I like, from the first track to the last, in the original order!)

I'm not saying I think the movie is bad, just that it really does not have anything appealing to me (I'm glad if the fans of the comic found it okay).
Maybe one day, on a lazy rainy day...

This one was over-hyped by the likes of Harry Knowles for me I think. As it was Edgar Wright though, I was willing to cut it some slack. What I ultimately found, was that :

Kieran Caulkin completely steals the show.
Michael Cera, is Michael Cera and I didn't feel he was the right actor.
You just don't feel that Ramona is worth it.
Far too much stop/start pace.
I like Wright as a director, but was this a bit too Wright?

I came away with 'yea, it was alright.'. Most of my friends said the same, nothing to gush over - but then perhaps I'm not the intended audience at 35.

white43 said:
This one was over-hyped by the likes of Harry Knowles for me I think. As it was Edgar Wright though, I was willing to cut it some slack. What I ultimately found, was that :

Kieran Caulkin completely steals the show.
Michael Cera, is Michael Cera and I didn't feel he was the right actor.
You just don't feel that Ramona is worth it.
Far too much stop/start pace.
I like Wright as a director, but was this a bit too Wright?

I came away with 'yea, it was alright.'. Most of my friends said the same, nothing to gush over - but then perhaps I'm not the intended audience at 35.

I'm 22, and I agree with every one of these points. ;-)

I still like Edgar Wright... the man did make a blog post about one of my mash-ups. So I'm biased. :oops:

Back
Top Bottom