• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Laptop recommendations?

Joe, I know we're talking about two different things. Just consider this: If you mean by working with FOSS that you need to have full access to packages, then of course OSX comes up short. But the way I use software is installing it and see if it fits my needs, and the fact is that the "few dozen" projects I use pretty much cover everything any sane man would need a computer for. For pretty much every task I have a choice between several open source alternatives.

I did not say, btw, that working with Fink and MacPorts is useless (in fact I plan on using MP to try out the OSX version of KdenLive this weekend). I only said that I prefer a handy dmg - why use MacPorts when it's simpler to use the precompiled Lisanet Gimp? To the statement that I don't work with code at all, the answer is that I work with code as little as possible. As any non-programmer would. I don't see how that discounts the fact that most useful Linux applications come in OSX flavours.

Back on topic:
I assume your laptop will be at least partially used for editing, Gatos, so my recommendation would be a decent Asus with Windows 7. They're good quality, look decent, and usually have good battery life. Get one with a decent video card if you can afford it. Thinkpads are great, but they're usually as expensive as Macbooks and often with inferior video cards. Acer usually are usually of crap build quality, but they're good value for money component-wise. Just don't lug it around too much.

Personally, I would get an Asus and use a Linux/Debian distribution as main OS, and dual boot into Win7 for specific video tasks. You can't go wrong with that combo.

Agreed - avoid Acer if you don't want it to fall apart (Acer also makes Packard Bell, and other models, so watch out!).
Asus is a good alternative.
HP is generally pretty good as well, particularly if bought on special. Build quality *can* very, but in my experience generally very good.

Samsung laptops are great. They've won countless manufacturer and reliability awards over the years.

I also own one and it's been absolutely brilliant. for ref. its a R510 with upgraded CPU and Ram.

No, but the reason is two fold.

1 It's only got a 2Ghz Core 2 Duo chip

2 I have a 3.5Ghz quad rig for editing.

Personally I find editing on laptops to be a royal pain in the bum due to the fact you're restricted to one screen and a fairly small one at that. If I was to start editing on a laptop I'd make sure I got one with enough power ie high end dual core with lots of ram. I would go for a quad lappy but prices are still rather scary...

Thanks, nOm! :smile: It looks like I should be saving for a quad core laptop then, because I can't stand working at desktops and like to have the TV on in the background. Currently, I do all my editing on my old laptop! It copes rather well considering...

Rendering is fun though. It takes ages!

Just my two cents: never buy Lenovo... while the actual products are generally good, their support service is really bad; specially if you ever try to try to get any kind of help when in a country different from where the hardware was originally bought/distributed.

Back
Top Bottom