• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Editing on a Mac

ducant

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Right now I've been using handbrake to rip to an MP4, convert it in MPEG STREAM CLIP to DV, and then edit in Final Cut express.

Wanted to know if there are any Mac users out there, who've has better success then this.

Thanks!

scooge

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I would suggest MacTheRipper or similar program to rip the dvd without compression. Then MPEGstreamclip for conversion to DV...

my 2 cents.

ducant

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I am trying to convert to DV to edit, is this best? Or is there a different format that retains more quality?

boon23

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
converting to DV will result in a major drop of quality. You should work with the unharmed mpg files to achieve the best result. Every conversion will cost you.

ducant

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hmmm... ok.... shoot.... well there goes more then a few hours down the drain... oh well

Are there any final cut editors out there? can you easily work in MPEG?

Do you need to convert the VOB files to anything or do you drag and drop those into to final cut?

ducant

Reaction score
Trophy Points
All right, this is for the benefit of any other want to be Mac Fan editor who gets stuck and searches this form in the future.

As of Now:

The best way I've Found is to Rip the DVD you want to edit with Mac the Ripper on to your hard drive. After that, get apple's Mpeg Codec ($20, http://www.apple.com). Drag the VOB file into final cut and render.

Then open up the VOB File with Mpeg Stream Clip, and demux to get the AC3 file.

Now EDIT AWAY!

After I figure out the best way to export and make a DVD, I'd be happy to re post again.

boon23

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
that's the spirit. If no one can help, write the guide yourself for others to find help after you. Nice! :)

Top Bottom