• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

A few reviews

Just "watched" Afterschool (2008), because the trailer looked vaguely interesting. My god is it the slowest slice-of-life movie I've ever seen. The most interesting part about it are the IMDB reviews, which are solidly split on whether it's a fantastic piece of art or an empty waste of celluloid.

Personally I thought it conveyed the environment and the monotony of teenage school experience fairly well, with a bit of coming of age stuff thrown in, the main problem is I have no idea why anyone would actually care to watch it when the takeaway is "yup those are teenagers". There's a bit of drama from the incident in the trailer but it doesn't really go anywhere.

The camera framing is also the strangest I've ever seen, with the subjects often partially or completely off camera and excruciatingly slow pans over empty space while halting conversations are had in the background. It gives a sense of place and time, but not exactly enjoyable, much like the rest of the film.

^I get what you're saying. I think it's a result of everything post-70s coming about in a less-principled time. Fresh off Watergate, Americans could still say "I object on principle alone!" because we thought we still, as a nation, as a people, had some. No need to have a leader of any sorts, or someone Harry personally knows. He may not have sought out this fight, but he got sucked into it and now it's his. 'You can't let the bastards win!' Only it's 1974, and you don't have a choice if they win. You only thought you did.

I see what you're saying also, and it's worth noting Coppola wrote the script in the 60s, but I don't think Caul is the right character to embody the US' old school, "aw shucks, always tell the truth and do what's right" spirit. He's a professional snoop, so at best, most of his job revolves around marital infidelities. And it's not as though organized crime was unknown in the states before Watergate - Al Capone had been a legendary figure, after all. So, sorry, but the movie just doesn't work wonders for me on a societal or character level. :)

I see what you're saying also, and it's worth noting Coppola wrote the script in the 60s, but I don't think Caul is the right character to embody the US' old school, "aw shucks, always tell the truth and do what's right" spirit. He's a professional snoop, so at best, most of his job revolves around marital infidelities. And it's not as though organized crime was unknown in the states before Watergate - Al Capone had been a legendary figure, after all. So, sorry, but the movie just doesn't work wonders for me on a societal or character level. :)
I’m with @mnkykungfu. I think Francis Ford Coppola had the greatest four movie run ever with GF, The Conversation, GF2, and Apocalypse Now. They are different movies—even GF 1 and 2—but for me they are all virtually equal in quality.

Not trying to convince you. Sorry you're missing out on the experience of this one. I wasn't suggesting anything like "aw shucks" though. There's a different kind of standing on principles that doesn't have to do with being squeaky clean or naive. But if it doesn't register with you, then what can you do, eh?

Dune: The Alternative Edition Redux (1984)
I've watched David Lynch's 'Dune' more times than I can remember since I was a kid, in various different versions and transfer qualities (sadly never at the cinema... yet). This time it was Spicediver's 'Alternative Edition' fanedit (which I've seen before) included on the big 6-disc German UHD/blu-ray boxset, in mostly lovely 1080p (due to some rare deleted sequences varying in resolution). In my opinion (not widely held), Lynch's 'Dune' is near perfect already, so it doesn't need changing but I'm happy to have more of the thing I love. e.g one of my favourite moments in all of cinema is "...also known as Dune... DUUH DUUH DA DAAAAH!!!" so having that changed, however beautifully edited and audio mixed by Spicediver, isn't what I'm ideally looking for in a fanedit. Lines are removed, music is changed, scenes are reordered to flow differently with new ones etc. 15MaF's 2.5-hour, all-HD, mostly just extended 'Deluxe Edition' fanedit is more my speed, it's the TV cut stuff but polished to the Lynch high standard. However, moments like Thufir's death are beautifully integrated here by Spicediver, even if the source video quality is very poor. Thankfully all of these different cuts can co-exist on my hardrive together (and now in my blu-ray collection), so the 'Alternative Edition' is great for the times when I want a different and more fulsome take on the material available.

The Sleeper Must Awaken: Making Dune (2021)
This feature-length documentary on the making of David Lynch's masterpiece (in my opinion) is so much more than I ever hoped to see for such a historically maligned film, that I'll happily overlook flaws that would put me off, if this was a doc on an already over-served Sci-Fi property. Unless I'm very much mistaken, this is a "lock down" doc, which wisely doesn't feature any lo-res Zoom videos but the audio of the interviews is characteristically inconsistent and rough. It's also a tad light on actual behind the scenes footage and the decision to go with the scope AR doesn't suit the photo & art materials it does present. Still, I'm such a fan of the 1984 film and was so delighted to see/hear something on it at all, that I had a total blast watching this for 82-minutes! The amusing anecdote about trying to get Orson Welles to sign back on as the Baron (after he'd been lined up for Alejandro Jodorowsky version) was news to me.

Back
Top Bottom