• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

A few reviews

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Heroic Times (1984)

171013-heroic-times-0-230-0-345-crop.jpg

I'd been itching to see the 1984 Hungarian animated film Heroic Times, restored by Deaf Crocodile, since reading its review on Blu-ray.com last fall, but, though I came close several times, I wasn't quite willing to spring for a $20 blind buy - and the disc's price has risen since then. Happily, it can now be rented for $3, so I opted for that instead of a $10 digital purchase.

The movie is an episodic tale of battle, honor, politics, war, and jesters, told with the protagonist's narration, though apparently the director didn't even want that. There are no character names or dialogue, and almost no facial animation that I can recall; expressions are nearly entirely in still paintings, some of which the camera lingers on for long moments. That said, the movement that is animated - horseback riding, jousting, battles, and crowds (even when viewed from a far distance), as well as the static elements, are stunningly beautiful. One sequence of the protagonist running through a castle looks astoundingly modern.

It's hard to criticize the story and characters for being disjointed and unsympathetic when that's the film's clear theme, or to bemoan the lack of facial animation as keeping the audience at a remove when that's the equally clear intent, but my patience was sometimes tested despite the brief running time and excellence of the artistry (Nor was the movie warmly received in Hungary at the time, if TV Tropes is correct, though it's gradually grown in esteem since then.) And maybe Soviet censorship prevented director József Gémes from being more pointed in his critique of monarchs and wanton warfare; I can't say.

Heroic Times is absolutely worth a watch for the visuals alone, and the themes that are presented are weighty and timeless. I wouldn't dissuade anyone from calling it a masterpiece on all counts, but I'm not ready to do so myself. Repeat viewings, with one accustomed to the story's coldness, might be more rewarding.

Grade: B+

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points

Better than expected.

Gyllenhaal's charisma is the glue that holds this movie together. He is completely endearing and sympathetic. Everyone else is a trope formula, one dimensional plot device. The narrative is unoriginal and obvious. But still the movie is determined to tell you repeatedly that this a modern western and Gyllenhaal's Dalton is the mysterious stranger come to town to save the day, since I guess the movie makers assume the average modern movie goer has never seen a Western... or any episode of the A-Team LOL.

Some good laughs and the action beats are fun with some decent CGI trickery at work. And like most big budget endeavors these days, it is left open ended for a sequel.

While I did not find this remake had the same memorable charms that made Swayze's 1989 version a cult favourite, it is still very much in the same lane, being a dumb, silly, fun popcorn watch.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Heroic Times (1984)

171013-heroic-times-0-230-0-345-crop.jpg

^ Never heard of that before. Thanks looks interesting.

Human Traffic (1999)
Such a big hit in the UK at the time on VHS and DVD, but it's only taken 25-years for it to be remastered in HD, thanks to what looks like a lovely 4K scan showing up on Netflix one day. I don't know if this long period of unavailability has something to do with the film's producer Allan Niblo, who allegedly didn't pay the young first-time director/writer Justin Kerrigan, released a bastardised/censored/redubbed version in the US market and edited together a 2002 "remixed" version without even telling Kerrigan. That history aside, 'Human Traffic' is a film fizzing with the ideas of a fresh new director, splashing vibrant colours all over the frame, breaking every 4th-wall in sight and cutting to the rhythm of the fantastic 90s Rave and Hip-Hop soundtrack. It's an anarchic, slyly political, anti-authoritarian, life-affirming, laugh riot. Welcome back 'Human Traffic'!

The US trailer with hilariously bad redubbed voices...

...although this vintage clip cutting the film to CJ Bolland's banger 'It Ain't Gonna Be Me' (from the soundtrack) is more representative of the energy within...

Love this record store scene, it's funny 'cause it's true...

Last edited:

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points

Intimate. Poignant. Introspective.

This is John Wayne's UNFORGIVEN or RIDE THE HIGH COUNTRY. Made even more powerful, as it is not only his last Western, but his last movie.
It is not an action or adventure movie. It is also not a revisionist Western. But neither is it a tribute or celebration.
It is a character piece, an exploration of a man's last days.
The performances by Wayne and Bacall are exceptional.
And despite seeing this film many times, I still break down into tears during the third act.

I rewatched this classic on Arrow Video's newest blu ray release.
A fantastic preservation with glorious grain. No DNR or modern colour timing here. It looks and feels authentic and true.
Lots of great bonus material too.

Highly Recommended.

Last edited:

DirtyCop1036

Reaction score
Trophy Points

Intimate. Poignant. Introspective.

This is John Wayne's UNFORGIVEN or RIDE THE HIGH COUNTRY. Made even more powerful, as it is not only his last Western, but his last movie.
It is not an action or adventure movie. It is also not a revisionist Western. But neither is it a tribute or celebration.
It is a character piece, an exploration of a man's last days.
The performances by Wayne and Bacall are exceptional.
And despite seeing this film many times, I still break down into tears during the third act.

I rewatched this classic on Arrow Video's newest blu ray release.
A fantastic preservation. No DNR or modern colour timing here. It looks and feels authentic and true.
Lots of great bonus material too.

Highly Recommended.
It's been a while since I haven't watched a good ol' John Wayne movie! This one's next that's for sure!

PS: Good to know the Road House remake is watchable, big fan of the original, especially Sam Eliott

Top Bottom