• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

A few reviews

The point is that Dominik's primary goal seemed to be to provoke as many people as much as possible.

Yes just like Pink Flamingos. The difference is just that I like John Waters, his work and was amused by his attempts to offend me (some worked on me, some didn't). Where as I'm simply not a fan of Dominik, or whatever he was going for with Blonde. It's art made in "good faith" but not art that either of us like.

I didn't like his Jesse James film either and it's 20-years since I watched Chopper, which I think I remember as being quite good? Although I was genuinely a bit disappointed to discover it wasn't a film adaptation of the life story of Chopper the counterculture graffiti artist turned championship Sky-surfer from the pages of Judge Dredd :LOL: :

image-asset.jpeg

9IlRLFpb_0612141717141.jpg

The Cars That Ate Paris (1974)
The only things that kept me awake through Peter Weir's low budget debut 'The Cars That Ate Paris' was smiling at the phrase "Avec mes... "water slide"" ('cause this stars the Napoleon dude from Bill & Ted), admiring the influential car designs (on the later Aussie Mad Max franchise and the hedgehog car is replicated in 'Fury Road') and trying to work out which pieces by Pink Floyd and Ennio Morricone that the score was homaging/ripping off. I didn't feel I was ever tuned into the film's offbeat sense of humour and I don't know if the vehicular violence was shocking 50-years ago but it isn't now. It's a little like 'The Wicker Man' but without any mystery as to what is really going on in this other weird community.

It compared unfavourably with Monty Python's 'The Killer Cars':

It's odd to me that you had these complaints about this film rather than Marshall's earlier Dog Soldiers. Was it because of the difference in setting and characters?

Granted I've never been a soldier but the characters and their dialogue sounded believable and real to me. The dialogue in the latter didn't.

Yes just like Pink Flamingos. .... Blonde. It's art made in "good faith" but not art that either of us like.
I disagree on both counts actually, and would call neither "art". And I think it's telling when an artist's work is not perceived anywhere close to the way they hoped, and they don't have the reaction "oh, that's unfortunate, I guess I need to listen more and try to do better". The defensive "if you don't like it, that's your problem" attitude is something I think we need to stop associating with "artists" and start associating with who it usually belongs to: entitled white men. Blonde is a litmus test for this kind of co-opting of women's stories and sexuality by these people, without any real regard.
But anyway, this is verging into political or philosophical discourse, something like "Are snuff films art?" For me, it produces a visceral reaction, though it's clear you don't see it the same way. 🤷‍♂️

I watched Dominik's Killing Them Softly once, and thought it was pretty okay. :p

I disagree on both counts actually, and would call neither "art".

Fair enough, you've maybe got a higher bar for what is, or isn't "art" than me. I'm one for avant garde and conceptual stuff (if it's fun, or thought provoking). You're going to tell me Marcel Duchamp's Fountain isn't art now! :LOL:

I watched Dominik's Killing Them Softly once, and thought it was pretty okay. :p

I've not seen that one yet.

Castle of the Living Dead (1964)
I couldn't decide if this Italian 60s Horror was really more arty than Christopher Lee's other Hammer work, or if it just felt that way because it's black & white and horribly dubbed. Lee's 'Count Drago' is a mix of his Dracula and Norman Bates. I wasn't expecting young Donald Sutherland to turn up (in his first role) playing an hilariously dim Police Sgt. who thinks he's Sherlock Holmes. There's a bit where he's showing off by claiming to have caught 7 criminals in the past month and proudly asks his underling how many of them were hanged, who then replies something like "8 boss... er... remember we hung the wrong person by mistake".

^ Did they get Ed Wood to cut this vintage trailer?!?

It's been a long while since I last watched this marvelous trilogy, so I've got quite a bit to say...

Batman Begins (2005)
It's been 17-years since 'Batman Begins' was released and the world of pop culture has changed a lot. It's difficult to remember a time before a top-tier comic book movie would be greeted by online hysteria. Back in 2005 only 16% people globally were online and 51% in the "developed world". There wasn't an endless parade of pop culture YouTubers hyping such films because there wasn't really any YouTube (having only been launched 4-months prior to BB's release). It was also 3-years before anybody had heard of this "MCU" thing. It was in this world that I was able to greet BB with total indifference, barely noticing it's existence. Having grown up in the 90s, I'd loved Tim Burton's 'Batman' and then watched the film series steadily descend into utter dreck, so who cares about a new one right?

It was only after the irresistible worldwide hype from 'The Dark Knight', 3-years later, and after me absolutely loving that movie, that I went back and watched BB for the first time. TDK sets everything up so well, exploding out of the gate with Batman action and drama, so I didn't feel like I'd missed anything. So I've viewed BB in that context ever since. A superfluous movie that makes you wait 3/4 hour to get to the good stuff. But when Bruce has finally teamed up with Alfred, Gordon and Lucius and starts developing the Batman tech and his alter-ego's legend, it's pure magic from there on out. But I'll discuss the flaws first...

BB feels like a compromised Christopher Nolan vision. Maybe because Nolan was a relatively small-time Director then, making his first move into big budget blockbuster territory, he didn't have full control over the project. I don't know. Nolan is all about the awesome power of seeing something unbelievable, for real on the big screen, on the biggest scale possible. The claustrophobic, set-bound, gothic, comic book looking Gotham seen here, is so different to the modern real world Chicago locations used in TDK. BB still has one foot in the aesthetic of Burton and Joel Schumacher. The fight scenes aren't that well shot, showing Nolan's inexperience as an action Director, something he would again master in the sequel. Nolan casts far too many British actors, doing American accents of variable quality. Katie Holmes is not a particularly great actress and has little chemistry with Christian Bale, made worse by me seeing the superior Maggie Gyllenhaal playing the role first with oodles of enthusiasm. I feel bad about speaking ill of the late great Rutger Hauer but lets face it, he's phoning it in here, perhaps not realising like his fellow old thesps had (such as Morgan Freeman and Michael Caine), that he's been cast in something a good deal deeper and higher quality than comic book movies had been up until that stage. The reverse angle shot of Wayne Manor always makes me laugh because it's the most stereotypically English shot of countryside you're likely to see. Nolan doesn't make any such schoolboy mistakes in the sequels. The epic helicopter shot at night, circling around Batman, perched as if he's a gargoyle on a skyscraper is a glimpse of what the real Nolan was about.

There is still much I love about BB though. You can tell Nolan sweated over making Batman look like part of a real, believable world. This time I was digging seeing the close-ups of the Allen-key (aka hex-key) bolts that his utility belt is screwed together with. Plus all the nerdy thought that went in to showing how Bruce and his "Q", Lucious Fox, go about ordering and third-party manufacturing the elements of the suit and gear. Hans Zimmer and James Newton Howard's score is of course genius. The story, characters and script are well written, developed and structured. It's a very cool take on the Batman legend.

The Dark Knight (2008)
There was such a good buzz about this in 2008, that I felt I had to watch it, even though I'd skipped over 'Batman Begins', three years before. It starts at full throttle and picks up pace from there, no setup had been missed. That bank heist opening grabs you and the rest of the film never lets go. Christopher Nolan brings his Batman completely into his unique vision, with Gotham now rendered in realistic, modernist, corporate, steel and glass, mixed with old world Chicago architecture, and filmed with those cool blues and greys he favours. The way those structures are shot looming over the characters and the portrayal of Gotham's pervasive corruption, and Harvey's opposition to it, recall Brian De Palma's 'The Untouchables'. Nolan has often played around with the tropes of James Bond and here he has Morgan Freeman's Lucius Fox going full-Q, replicating those fun scenes were Bond/Bruce is messing with the new gadgets and bantering with Lucius/Q. Despite all the action and visual grandeur, the best scene is probably the one where the accountant foolishly tries to blackmail Lucius. Both actors play it to perfection. The fight choreography is on another level from BB, it's clear, fluid and impactful. 'The Dark Knight' is only 14-years old but it feels like a film from another era, before throwing as much CGI at the frame as possible was standard, to the point where there is never enough time and budget to make any of it feel real. Nolan knows that no amount of FX are going to be as epic and thrilling as seeing a real truck flipped end to end on IMAX 70mm. Hans Zimmer and James Newton Howard's score is a beautiful, dark, assault on the senses, many composers have sadly tried to copy it with little success. Maggie Gyllenhaal is so much better as Rachel. Heath Ledger's performance is of course iconic, faultless and a blackly comic delight.

The Dark Knight Rises (2012)
I can't get enough of Bane's voice, I think it's 50% Tom Hardy's brilliant performance and 50% the deliberately aggressive way it's mixed, so it sounds like you're hearing it inside your brain. Lines like "Do you feel in charge?" give me goosebumps every time. I'd forgotten how much fun Anne Hathaway is as Catwoman. She's able to do the full-body transformation thing (when Bruce catches her stealing) that Christopher Reeve did between Clark and Superman. I believe the general opinion is that 'The Dark Knight Rises' is a slight step down in quality from the last film but rewatching it today I'm thinking it's even better than 'The Dark Knight'. The plot is so well put together, with lots of characters all having there own important things to do, which build towards the finale. The withholding of Batman's appearances (for well established plot reasons) makes whenever he does don the suit feel so special. Like in 'Superman III' when he comes back from the dark side, the way Bruce comes back from the prison, it's so triumphant. The only thing that spoils the ending for me, is having actually drank Fernet-Branca. I can buy the inverted bat-copter thing and the fusion reactor bomb stuff but Alfred saying he likes the drink, is just not credible. My taste buds have never recovered.

Like @Moe_Syzlak it's also interesting hearing your perspective coming in to these differently. As not only a big Batman fan but also a comic book fan - the guy who boosted superhero movies and stayed for the credits even the first time watching Iron Man - I've always been a huge fan of Batman Begins. I don't think it gets enough credit for the psychological underpinnings of the story. Batman in film had previously had a few lines thrown out about how he was going to use imagery to scare villains, but nothing nearly so deep as FEAR being the central thesis in BB. Why choose a bat and not a wolf or snake or something more obviously menacing? Why NOT have a Batmobile with guns and missiles like the regretable version in Tim Burton's movies? The whole psychological underpinnings of Bruce as Batman, and the idea that Batman uses the image of Bruce as a cover is all fleshed out here in ways that were ever only hinted at before.

I think on the other hand that The Dark Knight Rises was actually regarded as a notable step down from the perfection of TDK. Bane (and his oft-mocked voice) were received somewhat mixed, with his role in the convoluted story being often questioned. The ending to the film (and the trilogy as a whole) was controversial too, as well as Catwoman feeling almost like an afterthought, an obligation. I think over time that general consensus has dropped the film even further in public opinion. On Letterboxd, the trilogy is sitting at 3.8/5, 4.4, and 3.7 respectively. I'd love a fanedit of DKR that makes me feel it works as well as it seems to for you, though @TM2YC . To me though, DKR just squandered much of the believability that BB had so carefully set up.

Shallow Grave (1994)
When I first watched 'Shallow Grave', I was younger than the three flatmates and thought they were so cool and sophisticated. Then I re-watched it when I was the same age as them and found them utterly insufferable and hated the film. Now I've watched it for a third time when I'm about a decade older than them and I loved it again
:ROFLMAO: That's awesome. I had somewhat of the same experience, though not as extreme. I first saw this right as it hit American shores in '94, and was immediately a superfan of both Boyle and McGregor, following them in everything after. My friends and I were privileged enough to think the black humor was the funniest thing ever. Years later, I had enough more maturity to realize that the characters were truly pretty horrible and horrific people, and enjoy it a bit less, though it's still a favorite.
That video you found was AMAZING.

Tales from the Crypt (1972)
I'm not usually a big fan of anthology Horror films (and have been lukewarm on other Amicus efforts) but this is maybe the best I've yet seen. The Ralph Richardson/Crypt Keeper framing device is a bit lacklustre but the five tales are outstanding. They seem unified by a theme on the petty evils of the middle-classes, all curtain twitching condescension, patrician entitlement and money grubbing, getting their just-deserts for mistreating the poor, the elderly and the disabled. My favourite story has lovely old Peter Cushing milking our sympathies as an innocent local eccentric, who is cruelly persecuted by his "respectable" neighbours. They're so outrageously awful to him and Cushing's wounded performance is so good, that I was frequently caught between feeling genuine sadness for the character and sniggering at his latest misfortune.

Halloween III: Season of the Witch (1982)
As many before have said, this is probably the best Halloween sequel, despite, or because it doesn't feature Michael Myers. Aside from the obvious 'Invasion of the Body Snatchers' influence, the premise reminded me a bit of the 1971 Doctor Who serial 'Terror of the Autons'. Instead of the Autons, it's another race of factory made plastic people, with a devilish plan involving rubber Halloween masks, rather than toxic plastic flowers and instead of The Master controlling things, 'Season of the Witch' has Dan O'Herlihy doing a mad-and-bad CEO, even more fun than the one he later did in 'Robocop'. I've been missing out on another terrific synth score by John Carpenter and Alan Howarth. Tom Atkins makes an odd hero, an out of shape, lecherous, borderline alcoholic, deadbeat dad, who presumably gets his family horribly killed because he's lied to them so many times, they don't believe his warnings about the impending danger.

Granted I've never been a soldier but the characters and their dialogue sounded believable and real to me. The dialogue in the latter didn't.
Sounded like typical 'lads in the woods' bluster to me, while The Descent sounded like typical girls' trip dialogue. But I meant the narrative conventions as well.

Cheers for Tales From the Crypt! Have you also checked out Tales From the Darkside? (not as good imho, but still worthy) I think I'm in the minority here, but I also really enjoy Stephen King's Cat's Eye.

Sounded like typical 'lads in the woods' bluster to me

Exactly. I'm in a somewhat stereotypically "macho" (for want of a better term) profession but I'm kinda the opposite of that, so I see this kind of "bluster" all the time from "proper men" :LOL: (see comedy clip below).

Phantom of the Paradise (1974)
I've been meaning to watch this for years and the blu-ray has been sitting on the shelf gathering dust. I was tempted to watch the Dr. Sapirstein reconstruction but I worried it might be too distracting for a first watch but all the botched attempts to remove the "Swan Song" logo in the official cut were distracting anyway. I was obsessed with Paul Williams' 'Bugsy Malone' as a kid, I had the comic book, and watched the video on a loop, so it was great to see another film where he'd wrote all the music. Whatever film stock was used has this amazing garish lustre to the colours. I loved that the Phantom's 70's version of a pipe church is TONTO. The satanic villain Swan (clearly just Phil Spector but toned down from reality ;)) was perfect but the hero and heroine could've been fleshed out some more, so their mirrored fall and rise would've hit harder.

The Devils (1971)
I think it's been 10-years since I last watched Ken Russell's masterpiece, 'The Devils', when it got a rare BFI DVD release of the UK X-Certificate cut (still the most complete official version). I'd been holding out for Warner Bros. to eventually relent on their decades long censorship and release it in it's uncut form (so more than a few lucky film festival attendees could see it), or at least for a blu-ray upgrade. Having said that, the beautiful DVD transfer looks better than many blu-rays I've seen and the film is outstanding and powerful, with or without, the couple of deleted sequences. Having recently watched Paul Verhoeven's similarly themed 2021 film 'Benedetta', which is at least, if not more, potentially inflammatory than this 51-year old film, surely the time has come to let people watch 'The Devils' as the late director intended. When Oliver Reed is on this kind of passionate form, he's one of the greatest actors to ever grace the screen. Derek Jarman's stark, towering, black and white sets somehow look futurist and medieval.

Kermode's making of documentary is on youtube in rubbish quality (or on the DVD in superb quality):

Hell on Earth: The Desecration and Resurrection of The Devils (2002)
There seems to be nothing Mark Kermode loves more than religion+horror, so this authoritative documentary on Ken Russell's 'The Devils', is as strong a work of film history as his 'The Fear of God: 25 Years of The Exorcist' and 'Burnt Offering: The Cult of the Wicker Man'. Again he manages to assemble the key cast and crew and gets them to talk with him like a get-together with old friends.

NSFW:

Last edited:
X (2022)
I was really loving the retro aesthetic of 'X' at first. It's not got that usual horrible faux retro appearance, it genuinely almost looks like it could've been shot (and not just set) in the 'Texas Chainsaw Massacre' era 1970s. The small cast of characters are interesting, well drawn and play against genre tropes. It takes it's time to get the gore but unfortunately when it does get there it's like a less artful and dumber film-maker has taken over. It stops being creepy and gets goofy. A big contrast of before and after is between the early, beautifully subtle aerial long shot of a girl being slowly stalked (without her knowledge) by an alligator, then later in the film a girl gets eaten by a big rubber alligator, with loads of fake looking gore spraying, almost played for laughs. I was very distracted by trying to figure out the plot reason for two elderly characters being played by young actors in heavy prosthetic makeup but there was no reason (within this film at least. The new prequel probably justifies it?). 'X' isn't a bad film at all, it's just that it promises to be a truly exceptional one, then fails to deliver.

Ghostwatch (1992)
The BBC has been constantly criticised by most of the UK's newspapers and the government for as long as I've been alive, for any number of reasons, so I think the BBC are a bit wary of giving them any more open goals, which perhaps explains why this 30-year-old, highly influential and controversial TV Horror movie has never been repeated, even once. To the point where it's largely forgotten in the UK but seems to be have become weirdly more celebrated in the US, by audiences who would never have seen it on it's original, 31st October 1992, BBC1 9.30pm broadcast, and who probably have no idea who any of the famous (to 90s British viewers) presenters are/were. Considering how infamous Orson Welles' "fake" 1938 'War of the Worlds' radio broadcast had been, when people were duped into thinking it was real, it's surprising that the BBC thought "Hey let's try that again, but with ghosts instead of aliens, this won't be controversial at all!". I was slightly too young to have seen it myself, so the new 101-Films blu-ray release for Halloween 2022 seemed time to change that. 'Ghostwatch' takes the form of an initially bland live broadcast from a haunted house by several real and trusted TV presenters, then does a slow-burn build-up across 90-minutes into full on horror. The warm, deep Yorkshire voice of interviewer Sir Michael Parkinson is the key to the film. He projects an amiable detached scepticism, like he's trying to feign interest in a patently ludicrous subject because he's been paid to do so. So when even he starts to get freaked out, we do too. Director Lesley Manning clearly put a lot of thought into replicating the feel of 90s live, videotaped TV, with sound issues, video glitches, intentionally bad editing and the presenters seemingly being caught off guard by unexpected developments. I enjoyed seeing the specific 1992 details like the posters on the wall for MC Hammer, Jason Donovan and Kris Kross.

The BBC have form for occasionally trying to dupe credulous viewers, like Richard Dimbleby's 1957 Panorama news report on the "spaghetti harvest":

Just a quick summary: I watched 31 Horror or Horror-adjacent films over the past month. Here are the ratings on a scale of 0 stars to 5 stars. So 2.5 would be average, 0 total trash, 5 a perfect film.
I split them into a top tier that I’d recommend everyone give a look, a mid-tier that will be interesting for fans of that specific kind of movie, and a bottom tier that some people may like but I wouldn’t necessarily recommend. I wrote all of these up in more detail in the "Quick 1 or 2 Sentence Reviews" thread...which I've been abusing and making more like 3 sentences...

Se7en (1995) 4.5*
Kuro Neko (1968) 4.5*
Only Lovers Left Alive (2013) 4*
Eyes Without a Face (1960) 4*
TAU (2018) 4*
Blue Ruin (2013) 4*
The Northman (2022) 3.5*
Monos (2019) 4*
The Invisible Man (2020) 3.5*
Werewolf By Night (2022) 3.5*
-------------------------------------------
Cam (2018) 3.5*
His House (2020) 3.5*
Night of the Living Dead (1968) 3.5*
Night of the Comet (1984) 3.5*
The Hand (1981) 3*
Earwig and the Witch (2020) 3.5*
From Hell (2001) 3*
The Exorcism of Emily Rose (2005) 3*
M (1931) 3*
Scream 4 (2011) 3*
Something Evil (1972) 3*
Witchfinder General (1968) 3*
---------------------------------------
Midsommar (2019) 2*
Host (2020) 2.5*
Army of the Dead (2020) 2*
Escape From Tomorrow (2013) 2*
Creep (2014) 1.5*
Doomsday (2008) 1*
Color Out of Space (2019) 1*
Game Over (2019) 1*
House of 1,000 Corpses (2003) 0*

Two erotic neo-noir thrillers from Verhoeven and Schrader made a great unintentional double bill:

American Gigolo (1980)
I didn't realise this was written and directed by Paul Schrader, because given the subject and star Richard Gere, I just assumed it was another light, rather chaste, romcom drama like his other film 'Pretty Woman'. It's actually a superb, stylish and sexy neo-noir, featuring a fantastic score by Giorgio Moroder, built around Blondie's 'Call Me'. Gere looks like the most beautiful man to ever light up the silver screen, in a range of immaculate Armani suits. The sharpness of Gere's attire, the precision of his walk, his graceful arm movements, are all about the attitude of his high-class gigolo character. This carefully coutured image begins to break down as the film goes on and his life falls apart, after he's framed for a brutal murder. Considering this was shot in early '79, it's amazing how completely 80s this feels. It was ahead of it's time. 'American Gigolo's style reminded me of later films like 'American Psycho' (not just because of the title) and 'Drive'. I'm almost sure Mary Harron was referencing AG in AP when Bateman is laying out his possessions and describing his routine.

By the way, I notice some shots in this trailer are alternate censored takes, not in the actual film:

What a score!:

and this has to be one of the most perfectly painted movie posters of the period. The chiaroscuro lighting, textures and the relationship of organic and architectural curves is exquisite. It's like Edward Hopper did a movie poster:

52480552396_240320e6ed_o.jpg

^ I notice from the way the text is laid out that it appears similar to 'The Warriors' poster (a version of which actually appears in a shot in AG). I wonder if it's painted by the same person?

VIDEO_TS_Title_03_01_00000.jpg

Basic Instinct (1992)
I wish Paul Verhoeven had focused less on the erotic-thriller aspects of 'Basic Instinct' and more on it's place within the neo-noir mystery genre. It does the latter extremely well, comparing well with the Bogart-era classics, featuring a nicely convoluted plot, involving multiple plausible femme-fatale murder suspects, in fact it daringly doesn't give us a definitive answer in the end. All the rampant nudity, athletic sex and bodily fluids flying around do tend to overshadow the dark psychological atmosphere. It's the kind of film that Alfred Hitchcock would've made if he didn't have to deal with the heavy censorship of the 50s/60s, which to my mind is a bad thing. Half the pleasure of Hitchcock's films is often the clever, cheeky ways he got round the censors. Instead of, for example the shower scene in 'Psycho', one of the cleverest pieces of editing ever, he would've been free to just show the knife, the nudity and the gore with little imagination required. 'Basic Instinct' has a nod in the direction of 'Vertigo' too, with peroxide blonde doppelgangers, spiral staircases, symbolic shots of the churning sea and a San Francisco cop with personal problems stemming from a past case that went tragically wrong. Jerry Goldsmith's score is in the Bernard Herrmann mode too.

^I absolutely love all those things about Basic Instinct, but I take your points. Depends on your taste I suppose. Hitchcock hints at the crazy, Verhoeven shows it. To me, this is an unofficial sequel to Black Rain, as well. ;)

Hardcore (1979)
Even if you know the basic premise of this Paul Schrader film is about a devoutly Christian, small town, single father trying to find his teenage daughter who has got into hardcore porn in the big city, it doesn't prepare you for how twisted this gets, what bizarre lengths George C. Scott's character goes to (and sinks to) in his quest, and all that doesn't leave you expecting the gentle scene of mutual forgiveness in the finale. Scott screws his face up into every conceivable human emotion on his journey and Peter Boyle provides some welcome comic-relief as a lacklustre private eye. I really enjoyed the unlikely friendship between the father and Niki a tough sex worker played by Season Hubley, I wish there was a bit more of that but otherwise a fine film.

Stone Cold (1991)
If this had starred an A-list action star like Arnold Schwarzenegger, it'd easily be remembered as one of the greatest actions films of the 80s/90s but because it starred NFL player, turned actor, Brian Bosworth, it bombed and I only heard about it when the Red Letter Media gang were singing it's praises this year. It's not that Bosworth is any worse at acting than the muscle-bound stars of the period (maybe he's a bit lacking in screen charisma) and he certainly delivers the action but he didn't have the profile to attract the audience this deserved. When the film immediately begins with a crazed lunatic firing a shotgun into the viewer's face and breaking the fourth-wall by shouting "Yeeeaahh, let's go!", you know this is going to be a fun movie. For me, there is nothing less cool in a film than an actor pretending to ride a motorcycle, so it's wonderful to see Bosworth riding the bike at dangerous looking speeds in most shots and when it's not, it's a talented stunt performer, there's no fakin' it here. There are a couple of faces from 'The Terminator' franchise, not least Lance Henriksen, who eats up every inch of the screen, in every frame he's in. 'Stone Cold' has more ludicrous explosions, spraying squibs, raining bullets and hard-R violence than any action nut could want, with a gritty biker gang authenticity you don't expect... and some hilarious cheese. This is a blu-ray purchase I will never regret making.

The whole film is somehow on YouTube in 1080p:

^Stone Cold has been an absolute B-film favorite of mine since its initial release...I think I wore out my original VHS copy as a young 'un! One of those great films that when you're just becoming a teenager seems kind of scandalous and titillating and crass in all the best ways. The podcast How Did This Get Made!? did a great episode on this, and Paul Scheer dished a lot of interesting facts on the making-of, including that apparently about half the film was improv-ed as they went (and/or re-dubbed in post) due to a litany of filming issues. I highly recommend giving it a listen!

May (2002)
I liked separate parts (no pun intended, if you know the plot) of this odd and daring horror movie. The misguided attempts by the chronically awkward and lonely May to make connections with various people were endearing, tragic, comedic and disturbing. The bloodbath finale felt like a different short film that had been tacked on. It's not that it isn't worryingly plausible, or that it isn't setup by the earlier scenes, it's just that it's such a massive shift in tone and in character. Even if I didn't love everything about 'May', I've gotta respect it for being unlike anything else.

Out of Sight (1998)
I remember this causing quite a splash at the time but it's taken me 24-years to get around to seeing what the fuss was about. George Clooney and Jennifer Lopez's chemistry does indeed sizzle and they are both playing interesting characters. I bet Clooney thanked his lucky stars that he had this project lined up with Steven Soderbergh for 1998, right after the public humiliation that was 1997's embarrassing 'Batman & Robin', to quickly remind everybody that he was still the sexy, glamorous, silken voiced new TV-actor, movie-star we saw in 1996's 'From Dusk till Dawn'. That's not the only Quentin Tarantino connection, as 'Out of Sight' features 'Pulp Fiction's Ving Rhames and Michael Keaton reprising his Ray Nicolette FBI agent character from 'Jackie Brown'. It's a very fun ride, like a grittier 'Ocean's Eleven' but the plotting was a little busy for it's own good. I think you could have dropped Steve Zahn's goofy character and instead had more of the enjoyable father/daughter cops relationship between Lopez and Dennis Farina.

Cool, a 35mm trailer scan:

Near Dark - 7/10.
Great ideas ruined by equally bad ones lol. But good fun to watch as a sort of B 90s vampire horror flick! Could make an interesting source for a fan edit for sure.

Back
Top Bottom