• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

A few reviews

It's been a long while since I last watched this marvelous trilogy, so I've got quite a bit to say...

Batman Begins (2005)
It's been 17-years since 'Batman Begins' was released and the world of pop culture has changed a lot. It's difficult to remember a time before a top-tier comic book movie would be greeted by online hysteria. Back in 2005 only 16% people globally were online and 51% in the "developed world". There wasn't an endless parade of pop culture YouTubers hyping such films because there wasn't really any YouTube (having only been launched 4-months prior to BB's release). It was also 3-years before anybody had heard of this "MCU" thing. It was in this world that I was able to greet BB with total indifference, barely noticing it's existence. Having grown up in the 90s, I'd loved Tim Burton's 'Batman' and then watched the film series steadily descend into utter dreck, so who cares about a new one right?

It was only after the irresistible worldwide hype from 'The Dark Knight', 3-years later, and after me absolutely loving that movie, that I went back and watched BB for the first time. TDK sets everything up so well, exploding out of the gate with Batman action and drama, so I didn't feel like I'd missed anything. So I've viewed BB in that context ever since. A superfluous movie that makes you wait 3/4 hour to get to the good stuff. But when Bruce has finally teamed up with Alfred, Gordon and Lucius and starts developing the Batman tech and his alter-ego's legend, it's pure magic from there on out. But I'll discuss the flaws first...

BB feels like a compromised Christopher Nolan vision. Maybe because Nolan was a relatively small-time Director then, making his first move into big budget blockbuster territory, he didn't have full control over the project. I don't know. Nolan is all about the awesome power of seeing something unbelievable, for real on the big screen, on the biggest scale possible. The claustrophobic, set-bound, gothic, comic book looking Gotham seen here, is so different to the modern real world Chicago locations used in TDK. BB still has one foot in the aesthetic of Burton and Joel Schumacher. The fight scenes aren't that well shot, showing Nolan's inexperience as an action Director, something he would again master in the sequel. Nolan casts far too many British actors, doing American accents of variable quality. Katie Holmes is not a particularly great actress and has little chemistry with Christian Bale, made worse by me seeing the superior Maggie Gyllenhaal playing the role first with oodles of enthusiasm. I feel bad about speaking ill of the late great Rutger Hauer but lets face it, he's phoning it in here, perhaps not realising like his fellow old thesps had (such as Morgan Freeman and Michael Caine), that he's been cast in something a good deal deeper and higher quality than comic book movies had been up until that stage. The reverse angle shot of Wayne Manor always makes me laugh because it's the most stereotypically English shot of countryside you're likely to see. Nolan doesn't make any such schoolboy mistakes in the sequels. The epic helicopter shot at night, circling around Batman, perched as if he's a gargoyle on a skyscraper is a glimpse of what the real Nolan was about.

There is still much I love about BB though. You can tell Nolan sweated over making Batman look like part of a real, believable world. This time I was digging seeing the close-ups of the Allen-key (aka hex-key) bolts that his utility belt is screwed together with. Plus all the nerdy thought that went in to showing how Bruce and his "Q", Lucious Fox, go about ordering and third-party manufacturing the elements of the suit and gear. Hans Zimmer and James Newton Howard's score is of course genius. The story, characters and script are well written, developed and structured. It's a very cool take on the Batman legend.

The Dark Knight (2008)
There was such a good buzz about this in 2008, that I felt I had to watch it, even though I'd skipped over 'Batman Begins', three years before. It starts at full throttle and picks up pace from there, no setup had been missed. That bank heist opening grabs you and the rest of the film never lets go. Christopher Nolan brings his Batman completely into his unique vision, with Gotham now rendered in realistic, modernist, corporate, steel and glass, mixed with old world Chicago architecture, and filmed with those cool blues and greys he favours. The way those structures are shot looming over the characters and the portrayal of Gotham's pervasive corruption, and Harvey's opposition to it, recall Brian De Palma's 'The Untouchables'. Nolan has often played around with the tropes of James Bond and here he has Morgan Freeman's Lucius Fox going full-Q, replicating those fun scenes were Bond/Bruce is messing with the new gadgets and bantering with Lucius/Q. Despite all the action and visual grandeur, the best scene is probably the one where the accountant foolishly tries to blackmail Lucius. Both actors play it to perfection. The fight choreography is on another level from BB, it's clear, fluid and impactful. 'The Dark Knight' is only 14-years old but it feels like a film from another era, before throwing as much CGI at the frame as possible was standard, to the point where there is never enough time and budget to make any of it feel real. Nolan knows that no amount of FX are going to be as epic and thrilling as seeing a real truck flipped end to end on IMAX 70mm. Hans Zimmer and James Newton Howard's score is a beautiful, dark, assault on the senses, many composers have sadly tried to copy it with little success. Maggie Gyllenhaal is so much better as Rachel. Heath Ledger's performance is of course iconic, faultless and a blackly comic delight.

The Dark Knight Rises (2012)
I can't get enough of Bane's voice, I think it's 50% Tom Hardy's brilliant performance and 50% the deliberately aggressive way it's mixed, so it sounds like you're hearing it inside your brain. Lines like "Do you feel in charge?" give me goosebumps every time. I'd forgotten how much fun Anne Hathaway is as Catwoman. She's able to do the full-body transformation thing (when Bruce catches her stealing) that Christopher Reeve did between Clark and Superman. I believe the general opinion is that 'The Dark Knight Rises' is a slight step down in quality from the last film but rewatching it today I'm thinking it's even better than 'The Dark Knight'. The plot is so well put together, with lots of characters all having there own important things to do, which build towards the finale. The withholding of Batman's appearances (for well established plot reasons) makes whenever he does don the suit feel so special. Like in 'Superman III' when he comes back from the dark side, the way Bruce comes back from the prison, it's so triumphant. The only thing that spoils the ending for me, is having actually drank Fernet-Branca. I can buy the inverted bat-copter thing and the fusion reactor bomb stuff but Alfred saying he likes the drink, is just not credible. My taste buds have never recovered.

It's been a long while since I last watched this marvelous trilogy, so I've got quite a bit to say...

Batman Begins (2005)
It's been 17-years since 'Batman Begins' was released and the world of pop culture has changed a lot. It's difficult to remember a time before a top-tier comic book movie would be greeted by online hysteria. Back in 2005 only 16% people globally were online and 51% in the "developed world". There wasn't an endless parade of pop culture YouTubers hyping such films because there wasn't really any YouTube (having only been launched 4-months prior to BB's release). It was also 3-years before anybody had heard of this "MCU" thing. It was in this world that I was able to greet BB with total indifference, barely noticing it's existence. Having grown up in the 90s, I'd loved Tim Burton's 'Batman' and then watched the film series steadily descend into utter dreck, so who cares about a new one right?

It was only after the irresistible worldwide hype from 'The Dark Knight', 3-years later, and after me absolutely loving that movie, that I went back and watched BB for the first time. TDK sets everything up so well, exploding out of the gate with Batman action and drama, so I didn't feel like I'd missed anything. So I've viewed BB in that context ever since. A superfluous movie that makes you wait 3/4 hour to get to the good stuff. But when Bruce has finally teamed up with Alfred, Gordon and Lucius and starts developing the Batman tech and his alter-ego's legend, it's pure magic from there on out. But I'll discuss the flaws first...

BB feels like a compromised Christopher Nolan vision. Maybe because Nolan was a relatively small-time Director then, making his first move into big budget blockbuster territory, he didn't have full control over the project. I don't know. Nolan is all about the awesome power of seeing something unbelievable, for real on the big screen, on the biggest scale possible. The claustrophobic, set-bound, gothic, comic book looking Gotham seen here, is so different to the modern real world Chicago locations used in TDK. BB still has one foot in the aesthetic of Burton and Joel Schumacher. The fight scenes aren't that well shot, showing Nolan's inexperience as an action Director, something he would again master in the sequel. Nolan casts far too many British actors, doing American accents of variable quality. Katie Holmes is not a particularly great actress and has little chemistry with Christian Bale, made worse by me seeing the superior Maggie Gyllenhaal playing the role first with oodles of enthusiasm. I feel bad about speaking ill of the late great Rutger Hauer but lets face it, he's phoning it in here, perhaps not realising like his fellow old thesps had (such as Morgan Freeman and Michael Caine), that he's been cast in something a good deal deeper and higher quality than comic book movies had been up until that stage. The reverse angle shot of Wayne Manor always makes me laugh because it's the most stereotypically English shot of countryside you're likely to see. Nolan doesn't make any such schoolboy mistakes in the sequels. The epic helicopter shot at night, circling around Batman, perched as if he's a gargoyle on a skyscraper is a glimpse of what the real Nolan was about.

There is still much I love about BB though. You can tell Nolan sweated over making Batman look like part of a real, believable world. This time I was digging seeing the close-ups of the Allen-key (aka hex-key) bolts that his utility belt is screwed together with. Plus all the nerdy thought that went in to showing how Bruce and his "Q", Lucious Fox, go about ordering and third-party manufacturing the elements of the suit and gear. Hans Zimmer and James Newton Howard's score is of course genius. The story, characters and script are well written, developed and structured. It's a very cool take on the Batman legend.

The Dark Knight (2008)
There was such a good buzz about this in 2008, that I felt I had to watch it, even though I'd skipped over 'Batman Begins', three years before. It starts at full throttle and picks up pace from there, no setup had been missed. That bank heist opening grabs you and the rest of the film never lets go. Christopher Nolan brings his Batman completely into his unique vision, with Gotham now rendered in realistic, modernist, corporate, steel and glass, mixed with old world Chicago architecture, and filmed with those cool blues and greys he favours. The way those structures are shot looming over the characters and the portrayal of Gotham's pervasive corruption, and Harvey's opposition to it, recall Brian De Palma's 'The Untouchables'. Nolan has often played around with the tropes of James Bond and here he has Morgan Freeman's Lucius Fox going full-Q, replicating those fun scenes were Bond/Bruce is messing with the new gadgets and bantering with Lucius/Q. Despite all the action and visual grandeur, the best scene is probably the one where the accountant foolishly tries to blackmail Lucius. Both actors play it to perfection. The fight choreography is on another level from BB, it's clear, fluid and impactful. 'The Dark Knight' is only 14-years old but it feels like a film from another era, before throwing as much CGI at the frame as possible was standard, to the point where there is never enough time and budget to make any of it feel real. Nolan knows that no amount of FX are going to be as epic and thrilling as seeing a real truck flipped end to end on IMAX 70mm. Hans Zimmer and James Newton Howard's score is a beautiful, dark, assault on the senses, many composers have sadly tried to copy it with little success. Maggie Gyllenhaal is so much better as Rachel. Heath Ledger's performance is of course iconic, faultless and a blackly comic delight.

The Dark Knight Rises (2012)
I can't get enough of Bane's voice, I think it's 50% Tom Hardy's brilliant performance and 50% the deliberately aggressive way it's mixed, so it sounds like you're hearing it inside your brain. Lines like "Do you feel in charge?" give me goosebumps every time. I'd forgotten how much fun Anne Hathaway is as Catwoman. She's able to do the full-body transformation thing (when Bruce catches her stealing) that Christopher Reeve did between Clark and Superman. I believe the general opinion is that 'The Dark Knight Rises' is a slight step down in quality from the last film but rewatching it today I'm thinking it's even better than 'The Dark Knight'. The plot is so well put together, with lots of characters all having there own important things to do, which build towards the finale. The withholding of Batman's appearances (for well established plot reasons) makes whenever he does don the suit feel so special. Like in 'Superman III' when he comes back from the dark side, the way Bruce comes back from the prison, it's so triumphant. The only thing that spoils the ending for me, is having actually drank Fernet-Branca. I can buy the inverted bat-copter thing and the fusion reactor bomb stuff but Alfred saying he likes the drink, is just not credible. My taste buds have never recovered.

Interesting to see your perspectives having seen the movies in a bit of a different order. For me, not a superhero fan, I enjoyed BB the most. It just felt like a story whereas the other movies felt over written. I can’t deny that the execution is better on the two sequels and Ledger deserves every bit of praise he’s ever received for elevating that movie to the degree he did. But those two sequels always felt to me like they were written in order to allow certain set pieces as opposed to set pieces emerging from a good story.

Key spoilers ahead for two great (but not really new) movies...

Overlord (2018)
I wondered if my initial 5-star, "one of the best films of 2018" type review of 'Overlord' when it first hit cinemas had been a bit over enthusiastic but no, this is a modern masterpiece. I took note when the first hint that this is anything other than 'Saving Private Ryan', which happens 18-minutes. The opening fiery, terrifying, parachute-drop sequence is plenty horrific enough, a good hour before it goes into full Nazi-Zombie mayhem. Doing a B-movie exploitation premise like this, at an A-picture level of craft, is what Quentin Tarantino has been trying to do for the last 15-years, with some success but 'Overlord' really hits that bulls eye. Given the risible history of video game movies, if anyone is thinking of doing a 'Wolfenstein' adaptation, they shouldn't bother, it couldn't top this. It's got all of the thrills, adventure and heroism of 'Where Eagles Dare', combined with the paranoid splatter of 'Day of the Dead'. I don't know why the cast of (then) relative unknowns hasn't gone on to much bigger things yet. Star Jovan Adepo is in almost every scene and kills it, he should be a movie mega-star by now.

You can't beat a bit of AC/DC for a trailer:

Little Shop of Horrors (1986)
Maybe I used to view a "made for TV" version but I watched this endlessly when I was a little kid, so I was a bit surprised by how horrific it is. The songs and music explode out of the speakers from the first note, composed by Alan Menken... whose next job after 'Little Shop of Horrors' would be to author most of the soundtrack to the "Disney renaissance" across the 90s ('The Little Mermaid', 'Aladdin', 'Beauty and the Beast' etc). There is just something so special about the way he writes a musical that makes it irresistible. I watched with the original theatrical ending, which I think still works the best, the two hapless romantic loser heroes are too nice (aside from committing the occasional murder) to die, but I watched the restored "intended" ending afterwards. It works well too. The whole film is a skilful dance between heightened but genuinely felt emotion, and wickedly dark satire, so I can imagine it was hard deciding exactly where the ending should land. Hurray for Christopher Guest, performing perhaps the greatest walk-on comedy cameo in film history. I didn't realise this was made in the UK, until I started noticing 80s/90s British comedy actors in many support roles. It's astonishing how close the lip-sync is for Audrey II/Levi Stubbs considering the size of the puppet.

Shallow Grave (1994)
When I first watched 'Shallow Grave', I was younger than the three flatmates and thought they were so cool and sophisticated. Then I re-watched it when I was the same age as them and found them utterly insufferable and hated the film. Now I've watched it for a third time when I'm about a decade older than them and I loved it again and enjoyed watching the three character's gleefully amoral behaviour and their acidic banter. Plus I was appreciating it again as a 90s student flat-share type period piece, with original recipe Irn-Bru in glass bottles (which they've recently brought back as a limited edition), retro Pot Noodles and a banging techno soundtrack. Ewan McGregor delivers the lines of his motormouth journalist character with so much attitude. Lines like "You really explored your maleness to the full there" and "But you're a doctor. You kill people every day".

Wow a 4K 35mm scan of the original trailer:

I was wondering if the colourfully painted, open-plan, eclectically furnished flat was a deliberate dark parody of the one in 'Friends' but no, 'Shallow Grave' was first released 4-months before 'Friends' aired. I'd hoped some enterprising faneditor on YouTube had thought the same thing and made a spoof title sequence and I was not disappointed!:

Frankenstein: The True Story (1973)
This fantastic 3-hour TV movie being partly a Universal production, presumably allowed them to not just draw from the 'Frankenstein' novel and their own imaginations (like the contemporaneous Hammer movies) but to also pick and choose what they wanted from the classic Universal catalogue version of the mythos. It feels like every scene and element you'd expect from a Frankenstein/Bride of Frankenstein movie is here in some form but in a way that feels closer to the source text. I first saw it as a youngster and it's been the definitive adaptation, to which all others are compared, ever since. Michael Sarrazin's empathetic, mute, or monosyllabic, performance as the creature is the heart of this film. It's so tragic that one of the few words that Victor teaches him, before casting him out when his skin begins to rot, is "Beautiful". You feel so sorry for him when even after all the horrible ways he's been treated, he still lights up when he sees his creator/father again. Then again, Leonard Whiting as Dr. Frankenstein manages to keep us on his side, as a man who has done one terrible thing, he wishes he could forget. James Mason, David McCallum, Jane Seymour and Ralph Richardson fill out the rest of the top drawer cast. Having seen this young, I'd forgotten how censored the violence often is, for it's original network TV audience. I'd remembered the scene where the monster pulls somebody's head off, as way more graphic than it is. I've been praying for an HD restoration for years because the old DVD looks rubbish. Sadly for this latest rewatch I went with the DVD, not realising that Shout Factory had released a blu-ray recently. Maybe next time.

Party Monster (2003)
Although this is dramatising the late 80s/early 90s NY club scene, it was originally released in the early 00s era of "Electroclash" and features most of that genre's artists on the eclectic soundtrack. Felix da Housecat's 'Money, Success, Fame, Glamour (Feat. Macaulay Culkin)' is such a banger! Co-directors/writers/producers Fenton Bailey & Randy Barbato adopt a meta, 4th-wall-breaking, semi-linear, documentary-style handheld video approach to portraying the rise and fall of young club promoter and convicted killer Michael Alig. It's based on James St. James' book but him and Alig (played by Seth Green and Macaulay Culkin respectively) compete to tell their story, their way, with alternating voice-overs and monologues to camera, contradicting each other and generally saying "No! This movie isn't about you, it's about me, me, me!". It's a lot of fun, until it gets very dark. It felt like the movie was trying to reach for something more profound in the way Alig continually pines for more innocent times spent with his former lover DJ Keoki, but there aren't enough scenes of them being blissfully in love, for that to underpin the rest of the movie.

Mood Indigo (2013) - American cut
French surrealist director Michel Gondry adapts French surrealist author Boris Vian's novel for the big screen. I haven't read the book, but I think Gondry has found a good match to go with his visuals. Eccentric and wealthy man falls in love with woman, but she gets sick and her expensive treatments exhaust the man's wealth. The story is simple and mostly unimportant. It's all about the bizarre visuals and strange atmosphere. There's so much going on in every scene, especially the beginning, that it's overwhelming. I would compare it to a Terry Gilliam production with a constant barrage of things to look at. Forced perspective, stop motion, Rube Goldberg machines, and all sorts of camera trickery. A side character is obsessed with a philosopher, based on Marxist philosopher Jean-Paul Sarte, who gives rambling incoherent lectures, and the side character spends all his money on materialism: collecting every book, letter, recording, item of clothing, etc, that the philosopher ever had anything to do with. I quite enjoyed the movie but I found out that the American release cut the film down from 131 minutes to 94. I don't know if I would like the longer version better or if it would overstay it's welcome. It's not included in my copy, unfortunately.

Men (2022)
In which writer/director Alex Garland kills any remaining good will he had left from Dredd/Ex Machina. Annihilation was stupid and bad, but this was awful. Woman goes to stay at a country house in rural England to recover after the suicide of her ex-husband. While she's there she is stalked by the creepy men of the village. The men are all played by the same actor but with different hairstyles and clothing and such so it's not immediately obvious, just unsettling. Except for when they put his face on the body of a kid in a terrible CGI uncanny valley scene. This idea doesn't seem to have any purpose at all and I was hoping the story would go in a different direction. I had watched an "Austrian Western" somewhat recently where a man goes to a remote village in the Austrian mountains where the head of the town fathered all the children of the various residents in a sort of Droit du seigneur. I wondered if this movie was going to go in that direction, where all the townsfolk had been fathered by the same man and this new fresh outsider woman would mother the new generation. It would have been more interesting than this garbage. I can't get these italics to turn off

The big finale is gross, tedious, and stupid. At one point it even looks like the woman is about to roll her eyes while watching it unfold. She even just walks away from it eventually. Garland is going full woke on this, and yet he screws up multiple times, I'm sure without realizing it. The woman is white and she's married to a black man. Check one for diversity and progressive-ism. But then she threatens to divorce him and he gets angry and hits her. Plus one for hating on these violent men but minus 50 for having the black man be portrayed as violent and abusive. The woman is completely without blame for the divorce and any time anybody questions her about her actions, she and the audience are meant to feel absolute disgust at these vile men. Garland's next project is said to be an extension of what he was going for here. I can't wait...

After all this, I would still like to see his miniseries Devs (2020). It sounds like it's playing to his strengths. Anybody seen it?

The Revenge of Frankenstein (1958)
'The Revenge of Frankenstein'
is a quality Hammer film, intellectually interesting even, but it's not very Horror. It's almost two thirds of the way through before Frankenstein brings another creature to life, it soon starts killing but out of what seems like obligation to the genre, rather than out any narrative necessity. I would've been entirely satisfied if this had just been about the phycological impact on Karl, Frankenstein's hunchback lab assistant, being reborn into a new physically "perfect" body, later finding out it's not the panacea he imagined. It was fun to see "the first Bond girl" Eunice Gayson (aka Sylvia Trench) in something else.

Crimson Peak (2015)
'Crimson Peak'
seems to be seen as one of Guillermo del Toro's lesser works, which surprised me, as I thought it was one of the finest films of 2015. I still loved it on this rewatch. I can't quite work out how Tom Hiddleston and writer/director/producer del Toro make his character Thomas Sharpe so sympathetic and romantic, without holding back any of the dark realities of his evil deeds. It's akin to what Anthony Perkins and Alfred Hitchcock achieve in 'Psycho'. The lighting, the use of colour and the intricate sets are a feast for the eyes and every creak of the house surrounds us in the soundmix. I was impressed again with Fernando Velázquez's magical and foreboding score, there is a hint of Ennio Morricone to it. 'Crimson Peak' is a treat for viewers who like their Horror, Gothic and who like their Romance, Gothic.

The House Is Alive: Constructing Crimson Peak (2019)
I was a bit disappointed to discover that this making-of documentary on the Arrow video blu-ray boxset was only 50-minutes and not really "feature-length", as promoted, plus it seems to have been culled from EPK style interviews filmed to originally promote the movie. Shorter segments of the same interviews are also included on the blu-ray, with more of the type of material you actually want and expect, production sketches, behind-the-scenes footage etc. Still the interviews with the cast and crew are in depth and fascinating, especially with Jim Beaver and Guillermo del Toro himself. Arrow have simply over promised and under delivered with this very nice bonus feature.

Erin Brockovich (2000)
For 'Erin Brockovich', Steven Soderbergh seems to contain some of his more stylish impulses and simply goes for making a really well crafted, well structured, well acted, legal drama. Julia Roberts is good in the title role but not so good that I couldn't imagine a hundred other actors doing it just as well.
Still one of my favorite Soderbergh films because he crawls out of his own ass long enough to stop filming his own experimental interests and actually makes a movie that is in a conversation with the audience.

Tenet (2020)
I probably shouldn't have waited a whole 2-years before watching this a second time, as I lost some of the benefit of understanding the concept better. I got more of the overall existential threat that the "protagonist" is working against and the reasons for it to have come into existence. I got quite choked up in the final scene with Neil which is mostly down to how charming Robert Pattinson is as the character, it's certainly not thanks to the wooden acting of John David Washington. His delivery of the supposedly comic-relief moments is totally flat. 'Tenet' would work so much better with a lead actor who could've extracted the inherent comedy and fun out of the insanity of the premise. The rest of the cast is fantastic though, particularly Elizabeth Debicki. Ludwig Goransson's music really stood out this time. 'Tenet' has flaws but it's such a rush for the senses and a titillating puzzle for the brain, that I was glued to the screen for another thrilling 2.5-hrs. Note to self (for posterity), re-watch this again sooner in future.

Yes, yes, yes! Thank you! I totally feel exactly the same on this. Some people seem to really like Washington, but I have yet to see one performance of his that convinces me his career isn't due entirely to nepotism. It was SO obvious that Pattinson was the more interesting character and performance in this film, but I felt like they were saving him for a future James Bond...(no need now, he already did it here!) I'm no Pattinson superfan, but he was a (the?) highlight of this film for me.

Showgirls (1995)
It’s not just plain bad and dumb, it’s clear Paul Verhoeven is trying to say something satirical about American culture again but it’s often unclear exactly what and which elements are purposefully absurd and crass and which are accidentally bad.
I had pretty much exactly the same read on this film as everything you explained, which is neatly summed up here. I'm a big Verhoeven stan and I think sometimes people miss important contextual details in how he deals with things like sexuality and violence, which for him are as equally crass and ever-present forces as classism or misogyny, for example. He splashes all of them around like a mad painter taking full advantage of his palette, his ability to stimulate thought and provoke emotion. Some people are just a bit colorblind.

That said, I think he'd risen to such heights at this point that his satire and observations were not always rendered clear enough for people outside his head. Like with Starship Troopers, only even more so here, some things just come off as leaning into the indulgence too much and not having any clear critical point. I don't blame him, I think both films are well-intentioned, and I'd much rather watch Verhoeven try for something so ballsy and interesting and fail at it than watch any number of other people turn out lazy "product" that doesn't have anything particularly original to say. Showgirls may be a failure, but at least it's an interesting failure.

I spent this weekend watching, or re-watching, these five interrelated Terry Gilliam movies and docs...

The Madness and Misadventures of Munchausen (2008)
A very entertaining and info-packed documentary on the problems that beset the making of Terry Gilliam's 'The Adventures of Baron Munchausen'. One I've revisited more than once before. Producer Thomas Schühly gets most of the blame for the production problems, for seemingly promising the impossible (on the agreed budget), then disappearing when the proverbial hit the fan, leaving everyone else to try and sort out the mess. Schühly is interviewed too and he doesn't entirely disagree with that assessment, he comes across as quite blasé about everything. Gilliam unfairly acquired a reputation for extravagance from Munchausen but this doc makes clear that once the money problems started, he made creative compromises, negotiated prices down (hardly the Director's job) and significantly scaled back some sequences, plus he turned out a fantastic film that while expensive, looked expensive. The other (unseen) villain of the piece is Dawn Steel, the new head of Columbia, who just dumped the film, as it was a project began by her predecessor David Puttnam. Eric Idle is quite the interviewee, talking about his friends, the way others talk about their enemies but with a mischievous grin.

Thanks for the link to this! Gilliam for me is a filmmaker it's as much fun or more to read/watch about than actually viewing his finished work.

Hemsworth's nude scene was my comedy highlight.
Not something you often hear...

It's true there is too much joking around in 'Thor: Love and Thunder' but I thought that about 'Thor: Ragnarok' too, yet most people didn't seem to mind so much for that one.
TRUTH.

Natalie Portman is trying her best but she's not a great actor to begin with,
Really, you're one of the Portman haters? I'm aware there is a vocal movement with this opinion, but I've always thought she's a preternaturally gifted actress, from the get-go. (Admittedly, since she's gotten older, it is rare to feel she has much chemistry with leading men, particularly of the Hemsworth variety...I think her real-world activism bleeds through.)

it's feeling like it's been a long time since Marvel made a truly great movie.
No Way Home. Some people seem unable to get past the casting hubbub, but if you just watch it as a movie, it's the best Marvel has done in many years. Maybe the best Spider-Man film ever. I'm pinning my hopes on Quantumania to save Marvel's spiralling film output... I doubt everyone will be so enamored with the world of Black Panther once they realize how much it depended on its two leads.

https://forums.fanedit.org/threads/a-few-reviews.9937/post-401605

The Adventures of Baron Munchausen (1988)
...The 2008 blu-ray transfer looks fine but wow would this benefit from a new 4K scan of the negative. Can we have one please!

...and a month later my wish is granted!: https://www.criterion.com/films/29570-the-adventures-of-baron-munchausen

1y4Hs6RmszXfZ2kWpm94G2WcBMmyez_large.jpg

Really, you're one of the Portman haters? I'm aware there is a vocal movement with this opinion, but I've always thought she's a preternaturally gifted actress, from the get-go.

I'm afraid so. As I said in my Thor4 review, she does at least try hard (which is more than some of her co-stars) but I rarely believe it. She just seems to pull this face...

0aeb8d318a93663b1f0947bcf6f52967.jpg

Star-Wars-Natalie-Portman-Crying-640x320.jpg

C5J8vPRWcAAVOoL

...in the belief that more is more. I believed it 100% in 'Leon', one of the best (not just her best) performances ever but she hasn't moved beyond that IMO. But I'd rather watch a mediocre actor busting a blood vessel, than a great actor phoning it in.

No Way Home. Some people seem unable to get past the casting hubbub, but if you just watch it as a movie, it's the best Marvel has done in many years. Maybe the best Spider-Man film ever. I'm pinning my hopes on Quantumania to save Marvel's spiralling film output... I doubt everyone will be so enamored with the world of Black Panther once they realize how much it depended on its two leads.

I haven't seen that one, as it's not on Disney+. I'll wait until it shows up somewhere for no extra cost ;). I do love the current run of Spidey films because of the charismatic young cast of actors. Marvel don't make bad movies but they're making too many just-okay ones recently.

Last edited:
^Well, I'd disagree that they "don't" make bad movies, or at least I'd qualify it as "usually" don't. But for sure their recent output has been full of less-inspired decisions and poor execution.
To be fair, lining up Natalie Portman's crying faces from across her career is...well, not fair. I'm sure you could find many many actors who pull the same face for the same emotion, or, in the case of co-stars like Hemsworth, have only about 3 or 4 looks that they use at all.
I mean, if Portman's performances don't do it for you, it's not like I'd be able to explain you into feeling it more, but it does seem a bit unfair to use that particular metric. And at least she doesn't have Claire Danes' crying face.
5bb5ea1b24000031009810c7.jpeg

That reminds me of that spot-on 2013 SNL sketch:

Claire Danes is in the same bracket and I might've once put DiCaprio in their too but with more recents films like OUaTiH he's outstanding.

Blonde (2022)
I totally had the same view as most of what you say here, especially about it being pretentious, indulgent, narrow, and ringing false. Dominik has made it known in interviews that he has no appreciation for Monroe herself, and feels no sense of obligation to consider the legacy of a real life person. This is patently obvious in the rather elaborate and preposterous lies he invents for other real life figures, like Charlie Chaplin's son.

I'm not someone who gets "offended" much or decries works of art as offensive. But Dominik has said that he intentionally put things into this film to offend as many people as possible. It makes this not a work of "art" in good faith, but an act of provocation. And so Dominik is not an artist, but a media whore. He's no better than an influencer <and I spit when I say that term> and I think the big advertisement push on this is completely how he wants the film to go into the world. Just another self-inflated man profiting on the image and work of a woman in order to bring more attention to himself.

Dominik has said that he intentionally put things into this film to offend as many people as possible. It makes this not a work of "art" in good faith, but an act of provocation. And so Dominik is not an artist

There is plenty of art that is intentionally provocative, but that doesn't make it not art. It might just be art we don't personally value. You were celebrating Verhoeven on the last page. If he's not trying to be provocative, I don't know who is. Having recently watched his latest 'Benedetta', 'Blonde' looked comparatively restrained to me. I wouldn't even try to describe some of the things that went on in Verhoeven's film because of how much offence it could cause some people, yet I thought the film was terrific. It's a matter of artistic taste, not taste. Some films are...

"An exercise in poor taste"

ab7cc77f7c5ac10552b9e397f4d705dd_7aada8dc-ae28-4187-a8ac-ae9ae9e7dfa7_480x.progressive.jpg

...and they merit a Criterion 4K remaster: https://www.criterion.com/films/31320-pink-flamingos

gCk6l0s3X7SI0jlJx5dqLC6F0scEfy_large.jpg

By the way, I'm almost (but not) tempted to watch 'Blonde' a 2nd time to see how Mark Kermode's theory holds up. I can certainly recall several moments/scenes that could support his argument.

^My comments were not meant to be taken as "art cannot be provocative", which I think is pretty silly. Of course it can. The point is that Dominik's primary goal seemed to be to provoke as many people as much as possible. As I said, it was not art made in good faith towards the subject and material.
Let the man himself demonstrate where he's coming from:
-"It’s an NC-17 movie about Marilyn Monroe, it’s kind of what you want, right?"
-"It seems like women don't want men to be men anymore. They want men to be women. But they really don't want what they say they want."
-"I think that Blonde will be one of the ten best movies ever made."
and ironically:
"I think the film gives you a picture of a person. It gives you a complete picture."

The Descent (2005)
The saying "familiarity breeds contempt" sprung to mind due to the too-long intro for the characters that are ultimately imperilled in Neil Marshall's 'The Descent'. I began hoping we'd soon get to the part where these irritating one-dimensional 90s characters (I know this was 2005) started dying, however, the instant they get trapped in the caves, I was on their side. I started to see how each of them dealt with problems differently. I'd chop the whole intro out, go from the short prologue, to a year later and them already entering the cave and we find out their backstories and personalities from seeing how they cope with stress. I bet the film would have no plot holes from doing so. The couple of lame jump scares inserted into that intro grated too because you know they are there to keep the audience awake.
It's odd to me that you had these complaints about this film rather than Marshall's earlier Dog Soldiers. Was it because of the difference in setting and characters?

Back
Top Bottom