• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Doctor Who

Ugh, Noonan's voice doesn't sound anything like Hartnell to me.

Going to have to agree there.

It's not awful to listen to, but I wouldn't be fooled if one tried to say it was Hartnell.

Edit: speaking of Hartnell, I ran into a hitch in my experiments because of confusion with my NTSC DVDs and failing to undo whatever they did to the footage to get it that way. Well, I did and didn't find a solution. Convenience wins out, I bought it on iTunes. The files are already 25fps and cost me 5 bucks for An Unearthly Child. Should be enough footage for further experiments. And if it isn't, Aztecs is another 5 bucks total.

Last edited:
Colorization/modernization testing: Title sequence
The password is fanedit.org

This is very well done! Do you plan on doing anymore?
Thanks man!

I do have some plans. Not ready to share yet, early stages. When I have something substantial, hopefully I can attract the attention of someone who is good at color grading who would be willing to give a final pass on some stuff.

Last edited:
What's crazy to me is that there are a lot of fans who would probably be willing to do the animated reconstructions for free if given the go-ahead from the BBC.
Ian Levine did a couple. I've got "Mission to the Unknown" which was pretty well made and it was on YouTube before the Beeb had a heart attack and got it removed. He even offered it to the DVD range for free. They simply said "no".

Agreed on the "Hartnell actor" too, he sounds like as if he's doing a Richard Hurndall impersonation of the First Doctor. Not for me.

I've just found out you can edit the Wheel In Space and have a mostly moving story if you know how. After doing it, I think I understand why they didn't bother animating it. I think Britbox were right to make a cut down animation of Episode 1. They could have "reimagined" the whole story in a similar fashion to "Fury From The Deep", but it's probably a case of how they'd do it and if there's enough audio to make it happen.

Last edited:
I just noticed that the BBC has started a new youtube channel called "BBC Archive" in January which already has a few Doctor Who related clips unearthed from the archives, scanned in HD. Including this fascinating one from 2nd Feb '82 about making the then new theme music:

If some deepfaker could replace this actress from An Unearthly Child with Jenna Coleman, that would be hilarious. Thank you.

DzyM30IX0AI6uLC.jpg

clara-falling.png

My experiments have led to a complete (imperfect and flawed though it is) first draft of a colorization of An Unearthly Child, the whole episode. PM me if you'd like to see the first draft or if you think you could help improve it (anyone good with color grading or color matching). My method uses some AI, some manual touchups (draft 2 will have more manual edits to make it more consistent), a lot of EbSynth, and a lot of reassembly.

This is not really a fanedit so I'm not sure about making a project thread for it. I would love to collaborate with someone interested who knows color and the source material, please let me know if this person is you.

New teaser trailer for final Whittaker outing:

Tegan and Ace!!! They're two of the companions from when I first watched the show yay! This is my era.

7bcec0f4e972a7b8ae99c9d5c0f5879b05234e9f_hq.gif

Not sure why everybody has to be waving guns around though :(.

I wonder if the Tegan & Ace blu-ray special trailers contain any clues? ;)

Last edited:
LEGEND OF THE SEA DEVILS.... it was... fine. 😊

I really enjoyed the Sea Devils design and most the CGI was decent. The story was very typical modern Who and no real surprises.

However, I thought the over all editing was abysmal. Particularly when it came to geography. It was an episode of moments, with little visual connective tissue between them. Character just appear where they need to be or the scenes cut from one close up to another, and you have no sense where anyone is in relation to each other. Definitely could have used some master wide shots. Honestly, it felt like an episode that ran extra long and was heavily cut for timing.

The trailer (ACE!!! TEAGAN!!!) certainly has piqued my interest.

2.20 overnight ratings. An all time low for the programme as far as live viewing goes.

The episode was fairly decent, but lacked substance with the historical characters and you could tell corners were cut in the editing. The Doctor and Yaz's relationship barely built up to anything substantial and the pay-off was not just an expected one, but painfully tedious.

I did enjoy the Sea Devils though, Chibs even on his worst day is really good at the classic villains.

I think I figured out my Doctor Who DVD problem. In decoding I kept getting a 29.97fps file. I kept trying to follow Cap's guides and get it fixed, but it's not exactly a situation he describes, more like the opposite (he describes how to make a PAL DVD into NTSC but not how to reverse the process). So I put it away for a while. I just happened to decide to try again and cobbled together an AviSynth script that would convert from 29.97 to 23.976 and then speedup to 25fps and alter audio and everything, and after running it, ta-da! Corrupt file. I botched something, no idea what. So I searched some more. Someone provided a partial solution with a script for someone with a different but similar enough situation. I was able to remove the unnecessary parts and use the rest and decided to just try to run it even though I don't really understand what it's doing, apparently it's for reversing a 6:5 pulldown which sounded like what the dvd might be, considering the pitch and length seemed correct even at 29.97.

Anyway, it SEEMS to have worked, pulling the resulting AVI into my editor the video plays smooth like butter at 25fps and going frame by frame I'm not seeing any weird jumps or blends or leftover interlacing. Posting this for people who may search for an answer for the same problem. If it turns out this isn't the answer then I'll edit this post and remove the bad info. Already I'm noticing the audio isn't lining up exactly, maybe there is a time difference to account for.

The avisynth script I used (with the file path obscured, replace the path in quotes with the path to your d2v file generated by dgindex following Cap's guide in his FAQ) to turn a US NTSC Doctor Who ripped disc file back to its original 25fps state and into editable color space :

Mpeg2Source("D:\Disc Copy\VideoFile.d2v")
AssumeTFF()
separatefields()
tfm(display=false, mode=1)
tdecimate(display=false,mode=1,cycleR=2,cycle=12)
weave()
AssumeFPS(25)
ConverttoRGB()

Honestly, it felt like an episode that ran extra long and was heavily cut for timing.
My guess is a bunch of shots turned out to be unusable for some reason and they had to hack something together with totally inadequate coverage. It didn't feel like a runtime issue.

I finally got a chance to watch the new special, and I really liked it! Not as good as the series has been in the past, but better than most of Whitaker's run. I really do like her take on the Doctor and I'm disappointed that she never really got a chance to shine with good stories (or really any good dialogue). Looking forward to the exciting 13th Doctor finale later this year with Daleks, Cybermen, and the Master.

Back
Top Bottom